Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Summer League Thread

Thoughts after just finishing the game:

It was quite clear that Janis Timma had a lot of high level experience. He was good. There was even a turnover where he made the right pass and the big just did something else. 

Jalen Suggs is obviously going to affect any game he plays in. I have my doubts on him as a scorer because his handle is a little rough but I like that Mosley went to horns a few time to get him the space to attack down hill. His defense and energy was phenomenal. The 2 on 1 block was awesome. And his 3 point stroke looked good. 

I actually thought Franz played some great defense but Kuminga got bailed out a couple times after it. His jumper didn't fall at all but he had a nice cut for a dunk and a couple of decent passes. No need to worry yet 1 summer league game won't decide his career.

Brazdeikis definitely staked his claim for a 2 way. He just looked more comfortable than most guys on the floor. 

Cole and RJ were disappointing only because being second year players you're hoping to see a little more from them and they didn't really bring that. If you're expecting either of those guys to take a major leap this year you've got to be kind of hoping they can dominate games like these. 

Didn't see Amar Sylla at all which surprised me but then we didn't see half of the roster. I imagine they'll get their chance in future games. 

EDIT: also forgot to include the very relevant caveat that Summer League doesn't really matter and guys have had really bad SL games and then had great careers and guys have had incredible SL games and never been anything in the league.

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Also I am literally salivating at lineups that will include all 3 of Suggs, Chuma and Isaac. Defense + feel in buckets. 

It'll be even better if a few times the other two guys they share the court with aren't known/big offensive players either so we can see them forced into picking between them. We've been waiting so long for a scoring breakout. Probably why we all got so excited with some of Cole's outburst's last year.

8 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

We need to sign Timma and Brazdeikis

No doubt about that, both are strong and can shoot.

This is pure speculation on my part, but its not out of the realm of possibilities that the Vegas Flu could have impacted RJ and Cole last night. 

They are second year players who saw real action last year and are now playing in a meaningless game. There roster spots are secure. 

Again, I have no evidence to support this. 

Yeah i watched half last night and the rest this morning. Suggs is definitely the real deal. Like you guys i'm a little disappointed with Cole, he just needs to focus and relax, he's too sloppy and amped up. Wagner did have the size, not much else but hey it's one game. He did seem quick enough to close out on the 3 point line. Moody and Kuminga looked exactly how i imagined. Kuminga's shot is raw but he did have a better feel for the game then i thought. Moody is gonna show out sooner of the two. He just has a natural shot, seemed poised. 

Part of me still wishes we took Moody. I would definitely not have picked Kuminga over Suggs, he might be awesome, but it's gonna take some time. We needed a guy like Suggs.

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

This is pure speculation on my part, but its not out of the realm of possibilities that the Vegas Flu could have impacted RJ and Cole last night. 

They are second year players who saw real action last year and are now playing in a meaningless game. There roster spots are secure. 

Again, I have no evidence to support this. 

Roster spots may be secure.  But playing time isn’t. Plenty of motivation to impress a new coach and try to mesh with with new teammates.  I don’t know if they thought because they had some NBA experience that they could just walk out there and dominate, but whatever it was they looked terrible.  Especially Anthony.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah i watched half last night and the rest this morning. Suggs is definitely the real deal. Like you guys i'm a little disappointed with Cole, he just needs to focus and relax, he's too sloppy and amped up. Wagner did have the size, not much else but hey it's one game. He did seem quick enough to close out on the 3 point line. Moody and Kuminga looked exactly how i imagined. Kuminga's shot is raw but he did have a better feel for the game then i thought. Moody is gonna show out sooner of the two. He just has a natural shot, seemed poised. 

Part of me still wishes we took Moody. I would definitely not have picked Kuminga over Suggs, he might be awesome, but it's gonna take some time. We needed a guy like Suggs.

But we could have had Moody instead of Wagner…or Bouknight, or Kuminga with some luck or creativity instead of Wagner. I just don’t see any great potential with Wagner…All above mentioned players will be better…

• Downvote 1