Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

This may have already been posted (I know Jay has been posting a bunch of cool stuff about Suggs and Franz) but I just watched it and Im just so hyped to see how Franz develops. 

It's just so obvious that he understands the game. And he's obviously someone who knows the game plan his coaches lay out, multiple times in the video he alludes to game plans for games that happened months before. Kind of made me think of Shane Battier. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This may have already been posted (I know Jay has been posting a bunch of cool stuff about Suggs and Franz) but I just watched it and Im just so hyped to see how Franz develops. 

It's just so obvious that he understands the game. And he's obviously someone who knows the game plan his coaches lay out, multiple times in the video he alludes to game plans for games that happened months before. Kind of made me think of Shane Battier. 

Did you compare Franz to Shane Battier?  Not that us here in Orlando don't appreciate your input from across the pond.

53 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Did you compare Franz to Shane Battier?  Not that us here in Orlando don't appreciate your input from across the pond.

Shane is actually a great comparison when discussing a smart student of the game. Also, CT’s right more than he’s wrong - don’t mess! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, og magic fan said:

I'm not sure what your issue is here? 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm not sure what your issue is here? 

I'm not sure either. It's not like comparing him to... don't know, Scottie Pippen!

14 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I'm not sure either. It's not like comparing him to... don't know, Scottie Pippen!

And to be clear I didn't actually compare him. I just said the way he knew and remembered the intricacies of game plans from months earlier reminded me of Battier because i remembered reading/hearing that he was a meticulous defensive player who used to watch a tonne of film and have huge packets of information about the guys he had to guard. 

32 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Battier, R. Jefferson, S. Elliot seems like his ceiling. If he gets anywhere near these guys abilities I’d be happy. 

I think you forgot those guys were +/- 6’6”. Franz is 6’11”. From a pure “study’s the game thoroughly” standpoint, sure. But I think Franz has more potential to be a true glue guy with defensive prowess and outside shooting unique to anyone his size. He isn’t quick enough to create his own shot, which makes him more of a quality role player that will bloom on a team with scorer. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective. 

7 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think you forgot those guys were +/- 6’6”. Franz is 6’11”. From a pure “study’s the game thoroughly” standpoint, sure. But I think Franz has more potential to be a true glue guy with defensive prowess and outside shooting unique to anyone his size. He isn’t quick enough to create his own shot, which makes him more of a quality role player that will bloom on a team with scorer. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective. 

Which is why I compare him to Gallo (Knicks tenure). If he can perfect his 3pt shot and ball handling, he could end up being a top 5 player in this draft class.

I'm starting to be confused by all those comparisions, as Gallo is an offensive player with a great stroke, but a very average defender, so... who we really drafted last thursday? :D

24 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I'm starting to be confused by all those comparisions, as Gallo is an offensive player with a great stroke, but a very average defender, so... who we really drafted last thursday? :D

For all we know he could be the next Giannis with a 3 point shot. Not saying this is who he will become but the point is the guy is so young the sky is the limit for him. He needs to be put in an NBA strength and Conditioning program for a few years and then we can start making comparisons about who his ceiling could be. Right now we know he will be able to contribute on the defensive end from day 1 and that’s going to earn him PT on the floor especially since we are thin at the forward spot. It’s an exciting time to be a Magic fan and I can’t wait for summer league to start so we can watch these boys play.