Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

47 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I'm starting to be confused by all those comparisions, as Gallo is an offensive player with a great stroke, but a very average defender, so... who we really drafted last thursday? :D

He's not Gallo. Here's my general read on him as a prospect:

6'9-6'10 forward, can guard 2-4 maybe some 5s in the future if he adds strength, great at getting over screens, terrific team defender, great cutter, good passer if a bit safe, generally high feel, can run some pick and roll and not a bad ball handler for a guy his size. Inconsistent as a shooter and sometimes a bit hesitant but has a lot of positive indicators and solid form so easy to imagine he can be 37+% from 3 on decent volume but more likely to be on catch and shoots than a lot off the dribble or off screens (EDIT: Jay literally just posted a source saying he's actually good off the dribble, it just maybe doesn't look very natural which is why I maybe had this opinion) . Plays a bit upright which sometimes hinders him as a driver and finisher where he often ends up taking weird craft finishes around bigs rather than getting into the paint and finishing over/through them. He's so big and long though that those running hooks and stuff are near impossible to block even though they're not ideal shots.

Would take some outlier levels of growth for him to be a big time offensive crearor but easy to see him being a starter on a playoff team and potential All Defense. Very versatile. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

This guy Kyler.. lmao

EDIT: I had no idea how easy it was to embed tweets

Ziaire and Kuminga are two of the biggest boom or bust guys in this draft. A lot of things needs to go right for those guys to live up to their potential. I'm glad we went with the high floor/low ceiling guy in Wagner. This approach work out very well for Phoenix with Bridges and Johnson, hopefully it does for us, too.

28 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

This guy Kyler.. lmao

EDIT: I had no idea how easy it was to embed tweets

He lost me at Gordon being an average NBA defender

4 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I think you forgot those guys were +/- 6’6”. Franz is 6’11”. From a pure “study’s the game thoroughly” standpoint, sure. But I think Franz has more potential to be a true glue guy with defensive prowess and outside shooting unique to anyone his size. He isn’t quick enough to create his own shot, which makes him more of a quality role player that will bloom on a team with scorer. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective. 

Is it confirmed that he is 6-11? Anyway I was just considering the type of player he can become. Strong d, smart and and serviceable jump shot. If gets there. Which is a huge unknown. 

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

Ziaire and Kuminga are two of the biggest boom or bust guys in this draft. A lot of things needs to go right for those guys to live up to their potential. I'm glad we went with the high floor/low ceiling guy in Wagner. This approach work out very well for Phoenix with Bridges and Johnson, hopefully it does for us, too.

I said to someone on here right before the draft that I felt like there had to be some middle ground between taking players who were already 90% as good as they’d ever be and players that we couldn’t tell if they even belonged in the league for 2-3 years. I think we nailed that sweet spot in the best way with both picks

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

He lost me at Gordon being an average NBA defender

One of many lmao. “Elite college defenders rarely become elite pro defenders”… um okay.. then he claims he doesn’t think Franz does anything at an NBA level, but argues for Ziaire, who did just about everything worse at the college level. ???

EDIT: like, who is he convinced become elite pro defenders? Mediocre college defenders? 

http://<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bs3Mbj8TktM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE BEST OF DENI AVDIJA | Ultimate Compilation from Season 2020/21 - YouTube

Wagner has a very similar skillset to this kid. He was starting to have really good rookie year before he went down with an injury. I think he make a jump in year 2, especially with Russ out of the way. He'll get to take on more ball handling and more than likely will be the 3rd option. 

2 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

One of many lmao. “Elite college defenders rarely become elite pro defenders”… um okay.. then he claims he doesn’t think Franz does anything at an NBA level, but argues for Ziaire, who did just about everything worse at the college level. ???

EDIT: like, who is he convinced become elite pro defenders? Mediocre college defenders? 

kind of a problematic thought process altogether. Elite meaning what it means, there just are not that many elite defenders anywhere, right? But as you said, where are the ones who do make it come from? Mars?

Coach Mosley is 6’8” and Wagner was at least 3 inch taller at the intro photo 

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Is it confirmed that he is 6-11? Anyway I was just considering the type of player he can become. Strong d, smart and and serviceable jump shot. If gets there. Which is a huge unknown.