Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

If I was a young guy about to make millions of dollars like Suggs I would be happy Toronto did not pick me because Raptors players are the highest taxed in the NBA.  And of course the obvious difference in weather between the two cities.  On a totally different thought, I wonder with Suggs being a high draft pick and one of the most recognizable players in college basketball that we might actually get a real national TV game this year.  

• Upvote 1

Franz Wagner in the intro press conference talking about how they played a lot of drop coverage at Michigan and he thinks that will help him in the league because most defenses play drop coverage I think is indicative of the kind of player and person he is. Are there many 19 year olds who are worried about the defensive scheme they're playing in? Or who would even bring that up at Introductory press conference? 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Franz Wagner in the intro press conference talking about how they played a lot of drop coverage at Michigan and he thinks that will help him in the league because most defenses play drop coverage I think is indicative of the kind of player and person he is. Are there many 19 year olds who are worried about the defensive scheme they're playing in? Or who would even bring that up at Introductory press conference? 

Kids gonna be a stud. Proper glue guy. I think we may just have picked 2 all stars 

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

This is 100% damage control spin. My only concern is that we didn’t bring Jalen in for a workout to catch anything that could be concerning, but I don’t think one workout makes or breaks a player evaluation. 

It probably is spin. But I've also heard that OKC wanted to trade up to 4 to draft Scottie Barnes too and when they couldn't they settled on Giddey. 

So what's weird is we might have celebrated Suggs 'falling' to us at 5 but Sam Presti and Masai Ujiri are two of the brightest minds in basketball and they both seemed to have Barnes above Suggs. So it's possible we also would have taken Barnes if we'd have had the 4th pick. 

I'm not too fussed because I'm happy with Suggs and only time will tell. Just interesting.

25 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

If I was a young guy about to make millions of dollars like Suggs I would be happy Toronto did not pick me because Raptors players are the highest taxed in the NBA.  And of course the obvious difference in weather between the two cities.  On a totally different thought, I wonder with Suggs being a high draft pick and one of the most recognizable players in college basketball that we might actually get a real national TV game this year.  

Yes buddy....National TV games, like Barnes versus Suggs.  Bring them on and let's win them !!!

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Over a quarter of the total minutes played last season was made up of this group: Bacon, Clark, Randle, Wagner, Brazdeikis, Bone, Hall, Thornwell, Franks, Mane, Mason, Cannady. 

That's an awful lot of minutes taken up by a group of guys who at most maybe One thing I wouldn't be surprised if we see which you may consider tanking but I don't is being cautious with Fultz and Isaac even though they're healthy. Kind of like what Philly did and does with Embiid where they rest him on second nights of back to backs and things like that. 

I wouldn’t consider that tanking at all.  I hope we try to win every single game but that does not mean putting players at increased risk. 

2 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

This is incorrect.

Brazdeikis averaged 29.3 mins per game for us

Mo Wagner averaged 26 mins per game for us

Donta Hall averaged 13.8 mins per game for us

Randle averaged 20.4 mins per game for us

Bacon averaged 25.7 mins per game for us

Thats just the start.

Edit; just seen CTMagic replied already.

Still about 3/4 of the minutes played were by the guys currently on the team, including Anthony, Okeke, Carter, Bamba, Harris, etc.  

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It probably is spin. But I've also heard that OKC wanted to trade up to 4 to draft Scottie Barnes too and when they couldn't they settled on Giddey. 

So what's weird is we might have celebrated Suggs 'falling' to us at 5 but Sam Presti and Masai Ujiri are two of the brightest minds in basketball and they both seemed to have Barnes above Suggs. So it's possible we also would have taken Barnes if we'd have had the 4th pick. 

I'm not too fussed because I'm happy with Suggs and only time will tell. Just interesting.

I think I’ve said this before, but from a general ceiling standpoint, it feels like Scottie Barnes, should he develop a shot, could be a Giannis type of player as he’s 6’9 (and still growing), a freak athlete, and played PG last year. Floor is much lower than Suggs, but I can see the argument. 

Suggs, at the end of the day, fits our team need more than Scottie Barnes, and for that reason, I would expect he’d be higher on our board. 

time will tell! 

1 hour ago, og magic fan said:

Agree completely.  

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Still about 3/4 of the minutes played were by the guys currently on the team, including Anthony, Okeke, Carter, Bamba, Harris, etc.  

3/4 of the minutes played were played by those guys + Vucevic, Fournier, AG, Aminu, Birch and Ennis.

EDIT: removed Fultz from list no idea why I included him.

10 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think I’ve said this before, but from a general ceiling standpoint, it feels like Scottie Barnes, should he develop a shot, could be a Giannis type of player as he’s 6’9 (and still growing), a freak athlete, and played PG last year. Floor is much lower than Suggs, but I can see the argument. 

Suggs, at the end of the day, fits our team need more than Scottie Barnes, and for that reason, I would expect he’d be higher on our board. 

time will tell! 

Idk, I think Barnes might've been our pick had we had the 4th pick. He just fits the player profile for Weltham, but I'm very happy with Suggs, though.

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's clearly cope because as you said why throw away months of scouting based on a single workout. Even if we take it as true, Suggs has a magnitudes better offensive foundation than the 0-level scorer that is Barnes. It's also very possible Masai is just washed after he massively overpaid for Siakam-- Presti at least has SGA and clearly wants to load up on jumbo creators.