Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

10 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Cole gonna take off next season

I so hope he does. I think he has a solid chance to be a more athletic Fred Van Vleet and a smaller but not insignificant chance of being truly special. I want that special Cole I see as a possibility so bad. Mostly 'cause if this dude pops, he's going to change this franchise's history. He's got confidence like I haven't seen often, and the special version of him is the prototype for success in the modern NBA. Athletic guard who can defend well enough and shoots it with confidence from all over. And special Cole next to Suggs would be scary. But he's gotta do that. He's gotta get his shooting %s up to that special level. That's basically all that's standing in his way.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

And this result, for all you naysayers, is WHY we tank! 
We turned Vuc into Wagner, WCJ, and another future 1st to be determined. Even though the ping pong balls didn't bounce our way to give us 3rd pick (Mobley), the consolation prize of Suggs is equally impressive. GO MAGIC!!!

Ummm.  Let's see how the rebuild goes before we make any claims on the success of our strategy.   No one has ever said that tanking won't get you better draft picks.  What we have said is that the overall process usually doesn't lead to success because your team is so bad that even getting a good draft pick or two doesn't change the overall picture.  There is also the issue of a losing culture and not developing your young players properly.

I'm glad we got what we perceive as good draft selections right now.  I hope we'll field a good team this year and not be looking at more calls for tanking after 50 games or so of the upcoming season, but I'm not too confident it will work out that way.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JJZFL said:

Ummm.  Let's see how the rebuild goes before we make any claims on the success of our strategy.   

The tank did its part and got us 2 great picks in the top 10.
Whether those players are successful has to do with teaching and training and nothing to do with last year's tank.

Just now, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

The tank did its part and got us 2 great picks in the top 10.
Whether those players are successful has to do with teaching and training and nothing to do with last year's tank.

Not correct.  You can't just turn off a tank.  You have mostly the same players who you tanked with still on the team. 

• Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Not correct.  You can't just turn off a tank.  You have mostly the same players who you tanked with still on the team. 

This is an absurd take. Dwayne Bacon led the team in minutes. Terrence Ross and Otto Porter were held out all but like 2 games after the trade deadline because we were too close to winning them. We had significant minutes played by Brazdeikis, Randle, Hall, Thornwell and Wagner down the stretch.

We’ll probably struggle at points to win some games this year just because of how young we are, but it’ll have nothing to do with our tank last season. If anything, players like Cole and RJ, who will be back this year, were outright defiant over the idea of losing on purpose. 

I just watched the introductory pressor and I think I'd follow Jalen Suggs into battle. That kid is just so damn charismatic. It's easy to believe he can be a star from the way he carries himself. 

It's hard to get a read on how good this team can be. The realist in me is like "ok we're young and our two most experienced players are coming off huge injuries we'll probably struggle to win 30 games" but there's an optimism in there that's thinking "maybe we might be good?" Like if Isaac is that DPOY calibre guy, Fultz plays the whole season rather than half of it and is as good as he looked at the start of last season, Suggs makes an immediate impact, one or both of Cole and RJ make leaps into being non negative players, one of WCJ or Bamba steps up... Mosely is actually a great coach... There's potential there to be better than people expect. Like if everything breaks right there's a version of this team that goes .500 I think. 

I don't expect it to happen. I imagine we'll win like 25 games or so. But this is the most excited I've been for a season in a long time. Like Jalen Suggs is probably going to average like 10-12 points per game or something. But he's almost certainly going to hang 30 on somebody at some point whilst looking overwhelmingly dominant and make us all believe.