Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

Sorry to be the downer but I think people need to pump the breaks on 'likely future all star', 'scoring alpha' and 'face of the franchise' with Suggs. He's an incredibly impressive young guard but he's going to have to take dramatic leaps forward in his half court short creation skills (handles, pull up shooting etc) to be a big time #1 scoring option type guy in the NBA. Let's not forget he was 3rd in PPG at Gonzaga. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Sorry to be the downer but I think people need to pump the breaks on 'likely future all star', 'scoring alpha' and 'face of the franchise' with Suggs. He's an incredibly impressive young guard but he's going to have to take dramatic leaps forward in his half court short creation skills (handles, pull up shooting etc) to be a big time #1 scoring option type guy in the NBA. Let's not forget he was 3rd in PPG at Gonzaga. 

Yeah,

Same with the playoff contention comments. We're super young and will be very bad this coming season still. I think with Suggs a lot of people have said he could end up being similar to Chauncey Billups which I think is fair if he does indeed work on the above.

Alos, draft night killed me, I didn't wake up until 1pm. My body clock is going to be a mess the next few days!

1 minute ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yeah,

Same with the playoff contention comments. We're super young and will be very bad this coming season still. I think with Suggs a lot of people have said he could end up being similar to Chauncey Billups which I think is fair if he does indeed work on the above.

Alos, draft night killed me, I didn't wake up until 1pm. My body clock is going to be a mess the next few days!

This is better than waking up at 3:45 AM, remembering we picked Suggs, and being unable to fall back asleep. I am an adult and this happened.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yeah,

My dog woke me up before 11am after not getting to sleep until quarter to 5. I am very tired. 

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

He did take his game to another level in the tournament. He went from 14ppg to damn near 19 ppg. He was on a veteran team at Gonzaga so he just played his role, but tournament time came he put the team on his back. He almost brought them back in the Baylor game, but Baylor size and athleticism was too much for the Zags. It looked like he was only one from Gonzaga that belonged on the court with those Baylor guy.

I approve of this draft. Wouldn't have liked Wagner if we hadn't lucked into Suggs, like him a lot since we did. Wagner's floor is a good piece that can give solid minutes, ceiling is elite role player. Suggs intrigues the hell out of me. Someone needs to sit him down and make him binge watch Jrue Holiday for hours every day. Then follow that up with binge watching Deron Williams. Suggs and a full-potential Cole is a scary thought for a backcourt. Very similar to Lowry/Van Vleet (though I think Suggs is more Holiday than Lowry). Wagner and Isaac are going to give other forward lineups fits. Been a long time since I went into a draft feeling as bad about it as this one and came out feeling as good. I don't know about Suggs' fit once Markelle is back, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I can agree with pumping the breaks on 'scoring alpha' for sure. I don't see that. I do see a Jrue Holiday type that can go off sometimes and contribute always in some way. He may be more of a leader than Jrue though. I'm all over the place on Suggs, because while he shouldn't be a #1 option as a scorer, he could be a face of the franchise guy/all-star based on the fact he projects to be a really good all-around player. There aren't a lot of two-way guards who do a little of everything the way he does, and those guys usually translate to winning when you find them.

Suggs has things to work on (off-ball-shooting, turnovers) but he has much much better offensive feel than Jrue and Lowry did at their respective ages. I don't think he'll be in that Beal/Dame/Trae category of capable of getting 40 every night but he has a foundation to be a reliable all-star PG.

29 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

I think more prime Gallinari than Hedo. Kid's a player. Him and Suggs (I see a lot of Deron Williams in his game) fit in perfectly with our young core. Great additions.

I see Brandon Roy myself 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I am still on a high from last night. Holy cow - we have a face of the franchise and a very likely future All-Star. I still can't believe it. Anyone else with me up in the clouds? 

Definitely over the moon for sure. Woke up really excited for our future