Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

3 minutes ago, 45degree said:

Good morning everyone, really happy with the draft. I still can`t believe the Raptors passed on Suggs, thanks The North!!

I am a little worried that we have 3 2nd years and 2 1rt year players on the roster, we won`t be able to sign all of them long term. But that is a not something we shouldn`t worry about right now.

Something to think about is that we have 6 guards that "should" play at least 24 mins a night: Cole, RJ, Fultz, Suggs, Ross and Harris. Other than Cole they can all play the 3 for a few minutes a night and with Fultz missing the first half the season, probably, that shoudn`t be a major problem at the start of the season. Gary Harris was viewed as a key part of the Nuggets rebuild and change of culture, that is a guy I would like to have on the roster. He is still young at 26-27 years old. Although he was pretty "meh" for us last season.

Soooo, Ross is like 100% getting traded before the trade deadline?

Ps: I believe the return we get from Ross should be greater than what we would get from Harris.

I think RJ might spend a lot of time at the 3 next season. If he's truly 6'6+ he's basically the ideal height for it and I personally believe his skillset is more suited to the wing. Never really much bought him as a 'combo guard'. Prefer him attacking closeouts, shooting spot ups and running in transition than handling the ball for large periods. 

In terms of salaries you're right it's nothing to worry about right now but at present only Isaac will be on the books by the time Cole, Chuma and RJ are due new contracts anyway. Our books are incredibly clean at present.

Still on a high after last night. We got two of the most nba ready (while still young) 2-way players in the draft. Our only players that can’t effectively play multiple positions in today’s nba are WCJ and Bamba.

• Upvote 1

As I was out with some coworkers last night my eyes were not in the draft, so it was super fun getting texts out of nowhere that we got Suggs. I also like the Wagner pick because he looks to at the very least be a good complementary player, and he fills the need for a big wing which no one else on the roster really did.

Trading the 2nd happened as we all predicted, tho it would have been a neat story for Preston to end up back in Orlando.

2 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

As I was out with some coworkers last night my eyes were not in the draft, so it was super fun getting texts out of nowhere that we got Suggs. I also like the Wagner pick because he looks to at the very least be a good complementary player, and he fills the need for a big wing which no one else on the roster really did.

Trading the 2nd happened as we all predicted, tho it would have been a neat story for Preston to end up back in Orlando.

I don't think we'd have picked Preston if we were keeping the pick. The last thing we needed was another PG. 

I am still on a high from last night. Holy cow - we have a face of the franchise and a very likely future All-Star. I still can't believe it. Anyone else with me up in the clouds? 

What lottery pick fit do you immediately like?

Kevin Pelton: Jalen Suggs in Orlando. More than anything, the Magic are starved for the perimeter star they haven't had since Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson. Orlando has some interesting young guards in former No. 1 pick Markelle Fultz and 2020 first-round picks Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton, but none have as much upside as Suggs to become the kind of dominant playmaker contending teams usually have.

Jonathan Givony: I love that Orlando took advantage of Jalen Suggs' surprising slide, but in getting Franz Wagner, they have two of the best defenders in this draft. Wagner can make teammates better without needing the ball or requiring plays to be called for him. He's a high-level off-ball defender blessed with elite instincts in protecting the rim, closing out on shooters or digging down on the post and mucking up opposing offenses. There's a simplicity to his game on both ends of the floor, as he keeps the offense flowing with intelligent touch passes, bounce passes to the post or by pushing ahead in transition off the defensive glass. With Wagner and Jonathan Isaac as the forwards along with Suggs and Markelle Fultz in the backcourt, the Magic could have one of the better defensive units in the NBA.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31915713/2021-nba-draft-winners-losers-surprises-bold-predictions

Love that we now have a face of the franchise. This draft was a win for those tired of taking projects. Suggs was a blue chip prospect who stayed at that level all the way up to a national championship game. Wagner is young enough to have upside but has two years on a winning program. This going to be a fun team to watch like in 2015, except better players.

And this result, for all you naysayers, is WHY we tank! 
We turned Vuc into Wagner, WCJ, and another future 1st to be determined. Even though the ping pong balls didn't bounce our way to give us 3rd pick (Mobley), the consolation prize of Suggs is equally impressive. GO MAGIC!!!

• Like 1

I think we need to be realistic that there will be growing pains with this team, but we have a scoring alpha, a team that could be elite defensively, and a bunch of team-oriented guys with high bball IQ's. 

This is a recipe for a GREAT basketball team for the foreseeable future. It will take time to gel, but the ceiling is really looking up. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

Hedo 2.0 ?

I think more prime Gallinari than Hedo. Kid's a player. Him and Suggs (I see a lot of Deron Williams in his game) fit in perfectly with our young core. Great additions.