Soul Bro

2021 Official NBA Draft Day Thread (Let's Go!!!)

I'm interested in how we play Suggs development. He's coming from a situation which really helped a lot of his weaknesses. The spacing at Gonzaga was top notch and that meant Suggs didn't have to worry about his pretty underwhelming handles all that much. The spacing here is probably going to be less than ideal in year 1 but that might not be a bad thing for Suggs long term development? Like maybe the lack of spacing will focus his development on his handle and his pull up shooting? 

And how are we getting him reps? Just 1-5 flat pick and roll? Or are we getting him running off Iverson's and curls and attacking down hill? 

I'm excited to see how this plays out. I don't really believe Suggs can be a top 10 player in the NBA, I view him more in that Lowry, Conley, Holiday, Brogdon type group where he can run an offense and be a high level started but in order to win a championship you probably need a better offensive player (or 2) alongside him. 

6 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Wash rinse repeat always drafts flattening out for WeHam. Thank God Toronto screwed up and Suggs fell in our laps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

may have saved this franchise

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Bit of an overreaction. 

I don't think it's an overreaction, it's actually what has always happened with that FO.
Waiting for the own pick and trading the second rounder. No news there.

The only real difference is that this time all the board seem to like a lot the guy that fell to us. I don't know him, so I can't judge, I hope you all are right and he'll change our future, but it's not like this was some great chess move from management. We'll see.

Thinking about Franz it's almost a shame he's going to play Summer League with Suggs, Cole and RJ. Not because it won't be fun but because I'd have really liked to see some low pressure situations where we just put the ball in his hands and ask him to create. It'd be good for his development if he got opportunities like that even if it's probably not something he'll do much in the NBA.

The key thing for me with Franz is mentality. I think at times at Michigan (on offense) he played like he didn't want to make mistakes. So he wouldn't take good open 3 point shots because he was hoping to find a better shot or make the extra pass and he wouldn't attempt the more high level passes because he didn't want to turn the ball over. I think if I was Coach Mosely I'd literally sit him down and be like 'look Franz you can shoot. We believe you can shoot and this team needs you to shoot so if you're open you need to shoot it and if you don't shoot it I'm going to bench you'. 

And that sounds like a crazy thing to say to a 19 year old because you'd probably be worried about selfishness and bad shot selection (if you said this to Cole or RJ they'd take like 40 shots a night) but Franz is never going to be like that and his offensive role really only reaches high end outcomes if he's aggressive. He's terrific at getting into the paint and dumping the ball off to bigs but he's not going to get opportunities to use that skill if he's not drawing the hard closeouts to get down hill. And he's only going to get the hard closeouts if he's aggressive with his shot. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thinking about Franz it's almost a shame he's going to play Summer League with Suggs, Cole and RJ. Not because it won't be fun but because I'd have really liked to see some low pressure situations where we just put the ball in his hands and ask him to create. It'd be good for his development if he got opportunities like that even if it's probably not something he'll do much in the NBA.

The key thing for me with Franz is mentality. I think at times at Michigan (on offense) he played like he didn't want to make mistakes. So he wouldn't take good open 3 point shots because he was hoping to find a better shot or make the extra pass and he wouldn't attempt the more high level passes because he didn't want to turn the ball over. I think if I was Coach Mosely I'd literally sit him down and be like 'look Franz you can shoot. We believe you can shoot and this team needs you to shoot so if you're open you need to shoot it and if you don't shoot it I'm going to bench you'. 

And that sounds like a crazy thing to say to a 19 year old because you'd probably be worried about selfishness and bad shot selection (if you said this to Cole or RJ they'd take like 40 shots a night) but Franz is never going to be like that and his offensive role really only reaches high end outcomes if he's aggressive. He's terrific at getting into the paint and dumping the ball off to bigs but he's not going to get opportunities to use that skill if he's not drawing the hard closeouts to get down hill. And he's only going to get the hard closeouts if he's aggressive with his shot. 

Why is he not playing summer league?

Going to Olympics?

1 minute ago, Jay Magic said:

Why is he not playing summer league?

Going to Olympics?

He is playing summer league as far as I'm aware.