jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I think we bring Ennis back I'd have Bacon back and Moe Wagner and call it a day

17 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I mean he has one ability that's greater then any of our players, availability. Dude played in every game last year and costs 1.6 million. Why waive him?

Don't worry about him setting a bad example or being a ball hog or ball stopper. Guy knows he's about 1 minute from being out of the league. He's worth keeping for 1.6 million.

Also, Ennis earned his free agency. I think we could offer him some decent money but he just might want to play for one of the contenders.

I would rather waive Bacon and bring back Brazdeikis. I'm good with bringing back Moe Wagner to play with his brother Franz, as well. If we bring back those two, that leaves us one roster spot and two, 2-Way Player spots to fill. I'm not sure if the FO will want to go into the season with 15 players, or if they will want to leave a spot open to fill later. I guess we will see.

Anthony/Suggs/Fultz(injured?)

Harris/Hampton/Carter-Williams

Ross/F Wagner/Brazdeikis

Okeke/Isaac(injured?)

Carter/Bamba/M Wagner

Moe can definitely play some PF, and possibly Franz can too. I personally would like to see us bring in another forward to fill the 15th slot. I'm afraid we are going to lose Ennis, I doubt Iguadala would come here (two Iggy's?!?), but there are quite a few vets waiting to re-sign, and I'm not sure they can ALL sign with contenders. We may just have to wait and see who "falls out". Milwaukee has Portis, PJ Tucker and Thanasis as free agents, Denver has Barton, Milsap and JaMychal Green, Miami had/has Ariza, Iguadala, Bjelica, Haslem and Robinson. 

Another option is to try and get Porter to re-sign at a reasonable salary. If we can get him back for $20M/year of less, he might still be a tradable asset later as well, and we would still be under the luxury tax line. The Lakers may be interested in both Porter and Ennis, but they don't have money to work with. I doubt Porter is going anywhere for the MLE. 

After the trade, the Lakers have four guaranteed contracts - Westbrook, James, Davis, and Marc Gasol for a total of $123.45M, plus the $5M dead cap for Luol Deng. Even if they guarantee McKinnie they still have at least 7 slots to fill - Schroeder, Morris, Horton-Tucker, Caruso, Drummond, Matthews, McLemore are all free agents. Schroeder is going to want big money, and Horton-Tucker will probably want a big bump as well. 

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

After the trade, the Lakers have four guaranteed contracts - Westbrook, James, Davis, and Marc Gasol for a total of $123.45M, plus the $5M dead cap for Luol Deng. Even if they guarantee McKinnie they still have at least 7 slots to fill - Schroeder, Morris, Horton-Tucker, Caruso, Drummond, Matthews, McLemore are all free agents. Schroeder is going to want big money, and Horton-Tucker will probably want a big bump as well. 

There were rumours earlier in season that THT might get a max from somebody (not a real max because of Arenas provision but still averages out to $20m a season). Caruso should be in demand too. I imagine they'll try and S&T Schroeder and add more depth.

5 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

Amar Sylla is the most John Hammond pickup ever. Imagine he'll get offered a 2 way if he looks remotely impressive in summer league. He had a bit of buzz a while back like he might get drafted. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, ML6 said:

I wouldn’t. Brand new head coach getting an early chance to get a feel for four young players who will be major parts of the regular season rotation... seems reasonable he could do it 

Confirmed by Robbins that Mosley is coaching at least for the start of SL, then may delegate duties.

My guess is that how long he coaches will be in lockstep with the amount of games Cole/Suggs/RJ/Franz end up playing.

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Confirmed by Robbins that Mosley is coaching at least for the start of SL, then may delegate duties.

My guess is that how long he coaches will be in lockstep with the amount of games Cole/Suggs/RJ/Franz end up playing.

Suggs and Franz I expect will play most of the games. Cole or RJ (or both) could easily play 1 game, dominate and get pulled for the rest of the games. 

40 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

With a roster of 20, not expecting Cole, RJ, Jalen and Franz to play more than 10 minutes per game and wouldn't surprise me if they give them a day off here and there. 

The games are insignificant....having them practicing and bonding together for a couple of weeks is what is important.

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Suggs and Franz I expect will play most of the games. Cole or RJ (or both) could easily play 1 game, dominate and get pulled for the rest of the games. 

Wouldn't surprise me. I get the vibe that those guys want to play though. If I had to bet I'd say we get 3 out of Cole/RJ.