jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Kaleb Canales was on both Stotts staff in Portland and later worked with Mosley in Dallas. He was on Nate Bjrokgren's staff in Indiana last season. Apparently Canales helped Rick Carlisle coordinate the offense in Dallas while he was there. 

3 ex Stotts/Portland guys for the staff is random. 

9 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Magic most likely have 1 or 2 roster spots available we need some wings and shooters here now:

Will Barton
Josh Hart
Doug McDermott 
Furkan Korkmaz
Wayne Ellington
Otto Porter Jr
Justice Winslow

All seem like solid options in free agency

Josh Hart would he lovely!!

Honestly, McBuckets would be the best of anyone on this list. Before we got Suggs i wanted a veteran point guard like TJ or even DJ. Someone to handle the ball a decent amount of minutes until Fultz comes back. Now with Suggs and Cole, might as well go full on rebuild and let them take their lumps. Of all the guys on that list i would want McDermott but i can't see him coming here. If some contender didn't make him a decent offer he would be worth our midlevel. He's a true small forward who has always shot 40% from 3 and worked real hard to improve his game. Pretty bad on the defensive end but that wouldn't matter with us. I only mention him because he is exactly the kind of fringe piece we need.

Get him try to trade Gary, which seems unlikely. Ross could be on the move but for what? So many questions. keep Moe?Bacon?McW? 

Who knows what will happen.

Hammond said that he expects Kelle to be ready for the beginning of the season if not very soon into the season.

Excellent news.

I see Judah doing on court work last week also. So things are looking up

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Hammond said that he expects Kelle to be ready for the beginning of the season if not very soon into the season.

Excellent news.

I see Judah doing on court work last week also. So things are looking up

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing. 

The team's plans are still in flux, but it doesn't appear Chuma Okeke will be involved. As you know, he's two years removed from his draft year. Cole Anthony and R.J. Hampton are only one year removed from their draft year (actually, eight months from their draft night).

Robbins 

I'm genuinely excited to see this team play. If 'Kelle is really ready for the opener like Hammond said might be possible, it's going to be fun, and we might win more than people think. Isaac with a possibility of actually getting some usage on offense is going to be very interesting, the guard rotation is going to be must-see from a fan standpoint, and Wendell v Mo for the contract extension might be the battle of the year for us. Crazy thing is I think both rookies have a chance to be starting by the end of the year, unless Chuma takes off (which I sincerely think he has a good shot of doing).

What I am most excited about right now is the lack of a disjointed roster. For years now, we've been watching this team play with a bizarre roster makeup. No shooting (especially early in the rebuild), players that don't complement each other (Tobias Harris' and Victor Oladipo's fit issues next to the other guys caused us to give away two future all-star players), only one guy off the bench who can score at all. Once 'Kelle is back, he's likely starting alongside Jalen (we have to see if those guys can fit next to each other, considering what the team has invested in both of them), so Cole can score in bunches and RJ should develop as a scorer, plus possibly Ross or Harris (I expect one of them to still be here) can both shoot, plus Franz. The SL at that point is going to be interesting. We probably won't have a dominant scorer but the defense could be a problem for other teams. Assuming Chuma starts, that's probably two good defensive guards, a possibly great pair of defensive forwards, and (I'm assuming at this point) Wendell who is very solid defensively. How long has it been since we didn't have to hide someone on D? Again, it won't be all sunshine and roses right away, but it's nice to see a roster construction that makes some sense for once (though we do have a lot of guards that deserve development).