jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

If this franchise continues to intentionally tank, I am going to be driven away as a fan.

These players are NOT tanking.

The next coach is a very important piece of the puzzle. The Magic should be one of the best teams in the East the second part of the decade (2025 - 2029), and they should win their 

1st championship. This next coach is the one that will lead the charge.

Also, the Magic have a great chance to make the playoffs next year. We have a lot of things to be excited of. 

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

These players are NOT tanking.

The next coach is a very important piece of the puzzle. The Magic should be one of the best teams in the East the second part of the decade (2025 - 2029), and they should win their 

1st championship. This next coach is the one that will lead the charge.

Also, the Magic have a great chance to make the playoffs next year. We have a lot of things to be excited of. 

The first sentence is 100% true. I expect these guys to do all they can, they’re just still figuring different aspects of the game  out at this point. I particularly can’t see Cole and RJ just phoning it in and rolling over. 

As far as making the playoffs- I would be absolutely shocked if that happened, but I like your optimism lol. 

6 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

The first sentence is 100% true. I expect these guys to do all they can, they’re just still figuring different aspects of the game  out at this point. I particularly can’t see Cole and RJ just phoning it in and rolling over. 

As far as making the playoffs- I would be absolutely shocked if that happened, but I like your optimism lol. 

Yes you could draft 2 Mitchell's or Tatum's and this team is probably not going to make the playoffs.

And that is best case scenario. 

We are going lose a ton of games next year. How much fun it is to watch depends on the guys already here. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The TPE is only 17m so his contract would have to fit into that. 

In general I don't think a 3 team sign and trade would be beneficial for Golden State. They're already over the tax they'd probably rather have some contracts and stuff coming back for salary matching in future trades. 

You can trade a TPE for up to 125% of salary which is almost 21mil - it could be 120% i havent checked the CBA in awhile.

5 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

Rewind to this team before the midseason trades- what should we have done? I don’t care what we *shouldn’t* have done, I’m curious what you think the best path forward from that point would have been. 

There was no better path forward and our guys did not intentionally tank. Getting rid of Vuc, Fournier, and Gordon and bringing in new players got us off the treadmill of losing in the 1st round or not even making the playoffs that we have been doing. We picked up a couple of good young players in Carter and Hampton and a handful of good picks. The anti-tankers will not have an answer for your question because there isn't one!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Natesroom said:

You can trade a TPE for up to 125% of salary which is almost 21mil - it could be 120% i havent checked the CBA in awhile.

I'm pretty sure you can't. Not according to these links anyway:

https://cbabreakdown.com/salary-cap-exceptions

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-traded-player-exception.html

"Non-simultaneous trades — For trades of players that occur at different times, the Traded Player Exception permits a team to take back 100% of the outgoing player’s salary, plus $100,000. Using the non-simultaneous trade rule permits a trade to initially “start” by sending out a player and then be completed down the road in a separate trade (i.e., in October, Team A sends out a player but only receives a draft pick from Team B; then Team A completes the trade in January by taking a player back into this “trade credit” from Team C).

Rule — A traded player may be replaced in a non-simultaneous transaction by one or more players acquired in a different trade whose salaries together do not exceed 100% of the traded player’s salary plus $100,000."

4 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

There was no better path forward and our guys did not intentionally tank. Getting rid of Vuc, Fournier, and Gordon and bringing in new players got us off the treadmill of losing in the 1st round or not even making the playoffs that we have been doing. We picked up a couple of good young players in Carter and Hampton and a handful of good picks. The anti-tankers will not have an answer for your question because there isn't one!

I mean, that’s exactly how I feel too, but if someone would like to explain an alternate and realistic route to the one we’ve taken I’m all ears, because I’ve yet to hear it. Like, if you were really looking forward to watching Vuc (who I admit I still have a soft spot for) put up really nice regular season numbers, while Gordon and Fournier dribble the air out of the ball before taking bad jumpers for another 40-win season, that’s fine, but I don’t remember anyone saying that or even coming up another direction. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

:( 

10 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Atkinson getting hired by the Warriors as an assistant…

Wow, Really???
Hope we hire a great coach or...

At the moment you have to wonder whether it's going to be one of the Bucks assistants or Willie Green since they're all still in the finals and this is taking so long. We're coming up on 5 weeks since we parted ways with Cliff...