jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

On 6/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Soul Bro said:

I like him, too

So do I, but I wonder if Hardaway could bring back the real excitement and love this team had in his day! 

12 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Oh, I think the first part of your question is totally an unknown and a valid concern, but if this move is the route we choose it’s strictly from a team excitement and ticket/merch sales perspective. There’s too many well traveled experienced NBA coaches to spin the narrative any other way.

I don’t necessarily agree with this last sentence. Two things stick out to me about Penny: 1. Young studs tend to love him. Given how insanely young our team is about to be, having a coach who is respected and relatable matters. 2. We need someone who can develop our guard play, which has been atrocious for far too long. Penny obviously has the knowledge base to help in that department. Would I rather have Atkinson? Yes. Does that mean someone like Penny will fail? It does not.

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this last sentence. Two things stick out to me about Penny: 1. Young studs tend to love him. Given how insanely young our team is about to be, having a coach who is respected and relatable matters. 2. We need someone who can develop our guard play, which has been atrocious for far too long. Penny obviously has the knowledge base to help in that department. Would I rather have Atkinson? Yes. Does that mean someone like Penny will fail? It does not.

Yeah, I don’t mean it to read as Penny will fail, just more so that there are better options for a win now or win soon. There’s also risk in hiring on a franchise darling, I’d hate to hammer any of his legacy here on a failed coaching stint.

You are right though, his experience as a motivator and his experience with youth will be a good thing for our roster. I think it’ll be very important to have assistants under him to help with Xs and Os. Hopefully Corbin would be willing to stay on

One other thing about the coaching hire. How many coaches have we gone through over the last decade? I mean two are head coaches again now (Vogel and Borrego) and one is about to be a head coach again very soon (Vaughn). Ultimately, our roster needs to improve for us to go anywhere... and then we need someone who can develop talent around a modern game plan.

I don't like the Penny hire because it feels like there are better candidates out there and that, were he not Penny Hardaway and were we not the Orlando Magic, his name wouldn't even be getting discussed. 

How many other jobs has his name come up in? None that I can recall. 

So this is probably about nostalgia and PR then. Which is just not a good reason to entrust someone with the future of your franchise. It feels desperate. Like a last gasp move by a front office who want to keep their jobs and are hoping to rely on mystical things like "buzz" and "energy".

Ultimately there's only 1 way this would end and it's by parting ways with Penny and at least slightly tarnishing the legacy of one of our greatest players. 

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting this has leaked by the way considering our front office never leaks anything. It suggests one of three things for me:

1. Penny is going to get the job so no need to keep it a secret anymore.

2. Someone is hoping to leak this to force Weltman's hand so he feels like he has to hire Penny given all the excitement among Magic fans. 

3. The interview really was a formality but Penny is hoping to spin this into something that he can use in recruiting. Like, I'm being heavily considered for NBA jobs come play for me. That kind of schtick. 

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I find it interesting this has leaked by the way considering our front office never leaks anything. It suggests one of three things for me:

2. Someone is hoping to leak this to force Weltman's hand so he feels like he has to hire Penny given all the excitement among Magic fans. 

3. The interview really was a formality but Penny is hoping to spin this into something that he can use in recruiting. Like, I'm being heavily considered for NBA jobs come play for me. That kind of schtick. 

This is pretty out of character from what we've become accustomed too, especially given the person putting it out there isn't anybody of note and it wasn't swiftly followed up by an actual announcement. I can't think of an announcement about anything for this team that wasn't related to a done deal.

9 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

This is pretty out of character from what we've become accustomed too, especially given the person putting it out there isn't anybody of note and it wasn't swiftly followed up by an actual announcement. I can't think of an announcement about anything for this team that wasn't related to a done deal.

Yea it's very odd. It's not how this front office operates at all. 

Either Jeff Weltman isn't as smart as I thought he was or Alex Martins is sticking his nose in again. 

I say that about Weltman because he's potentially about to put himself in a position where if the Magic suck 2 years from now a large proportion of the fan base would probably rather see the Front Office change than the coach.

EDIT: it should be noted that this "dream candidate" stuff doesn't at all stack up with the "formality/courtesy" of the report from the Memphis reporter.

I just checked and it took 7 weeks for the Magic to hire Clifford from the day Vogel was announced as fired and I couldn't find any reports on someone being a 'serious contender' for the job (although admittedly I didn't look too hard)

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yup. All of this. This news only benefits Penny and hurts the Magic if they go with any other candidate at this point from a PR Buzz standpoint.