jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Thank God the Mavs took Kidd off the market

So pleased. I hoped we wouldn't hire him anyway but now it's no longer a possibility I feel safer.

Feel the same way, yesterday I was upset with Carlisle (even if probably wasn't even an option) and today I feel happy for avoiding Kidd!

Surely we must be close on hiring a coach? 

Only thing I can think is if it's an assistant from a team still in the playoffs we probably won't find out until after that team is eliminated. (Atkinson?)

Yeah I think the Clippers and perhaps the Bucks (Ham?) are holding up the process

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I really think this conversation is a non starter. Isaac has incredible value to us and to our front office and I doubt any other organisation would be interested in trying to meet the asking price given his injury history. 

In my dream we would trade JI, Wendell, number 8 and Bulls pick in 2023 and our 2nd round pick to Rockets for 2 and Woods. 

At 2 we select Green and 5 we select either Kuminga/Barnes 

Which would make our 2021 depth Chart: 

PG: Fultz/Cole/MCW

SG: Green/Ross/RJ

SF: 5th Pick/Ross/Okeke

PF: Okeke/Woods/5th Pick

C: Woods/ Bamba/ Vet Free Agent  

Again, I understand the Rockets most likely don’t take this deal. 

A more realistic trade I would do is 5, 8 and Gary Harris to Cleveland for 3 and Love. 

I would draft Green at 3 and then sign Oubre in free agency. 

PG: Fultz /Cole/ MCW 

SG: Green/ Ross/ RJ 

SF: Issac/ Ross/ Okeke 

PF: Love/ Okeke/ Issac 

C: Wendell/Bamba/Issac

My end of game death lineup would be:

Fultz 

Green 

Ross 

Okeke 

Issac 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hootie249 said:

You guys just don't realize how far we have sunk. Our next coach will be a person tasked with a team not expected to win more them 25 games the next two years. Start with that as a baseline on who wants the job. It's up to our gm to get some talent and if you are a true fan, add a vet sometime in 2023 or 2024. Otherwise we ain't winning **** soon. Now figure out a coach.

Good point.  And that reality is making our search for a good coach more difficult, to put it mildly.  

7 hours ago, hootie249 said:

You guys just don't realize how far we have sunk. Our next coach will be a person tasked with a team not expected to win more them 25 games the next two years. Start with that as a baseline on who wants the job. It's up to our gm to get some talent and if you are a true fan, add a vet sometime in 2023 or 2024. Otherwise we ain't winning **** soon. Now figure out a coach.

And the real fun part, as we just got to be a part of with the nba’s new lotto odds is we could be the absolute worst team of all time, and we’d still only have a 14% chance of picking 1st and a 52% chance of picking top 4. I understand to an extent what the league is trying to do with anti tanking, but man, the lottery is a sure fire way to guarantee to keep a team down in the dumps. I’d love to at least see some sort of rule where if you’ve won a title within the past 2-3 years, you’re not lotto eligible. Same with if you’ve picked higher than your record more than once over a 5 year span. Maybe I’m just frustrated. We’re picking 5th in a 4 player top tiered draft… one spot away from the talent… again… Hezonja instead of Porzingis, Gordon instead of Embiid, Bamba instead of Trae Young, Isaac instead of DeAron Fox… UGH!

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Surely we must be close on hiring a coach? 

Only thing I can think is if it's an assistant from a team still in the playoffs we probably won't find out until after that team is eliminated. (Atkinson?)

Yeah, that article I mentioned earlier had this ranking (I removed Kidd and Udoka) 

1) Atkinson (Clippers)

2) Ham (Bucks)

3) Hammon (Spurs)

4) Lee (Bucks)

5) Unseld Jr. (Nuggets)

6) Green (Suns)

7) Brooks

8) Billups