jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

We won't do it and he might end up getting more anyway but I'd be tempted to offer Cam Payne the full MLE this summer. 

A roster of all point guards?!?

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

A roster of all point guards?!?

It obviously depends who we draft but to me we only have 2 PGs currently and 1 of them is Fultz who probably won't be healthy for at least some of the season. 

16 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It obviously depends who we draft but to me we only have 2 PGs currently and 1 of them is Fultz who probably won't be healthy for at least some of the season. 

I know, just giving you grief. I actually wouldn't mind seeing us pick up Jeremy Lin on a one-year, veteran-minimum contract for that very reason - again, depending on who we draft. Obviously if we draft Giddey and/or Mitchell then we probably wouldn't bring in a vet PG as well. 

Edit: Thanks for the downvote. Either someone doesn't like kidding, or has a serious problem with Jeremy Lin. Nice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Fultz's future is in jeopardy. When he comes back he is going to have about a year to prove he is here to stay, otherwise he will be an expiring 16 million dollar contract in 2023. Not trying to be negative but at least our gm's gave us flexibility with his contract.

I actually think we have a very bright future. We have not identified our true star yet, but we definitely have a workable timeline now. There is no way we make the playoffs next year. So we still have one more lottery pick incoming and a ton of flexibility. After the stupid Ibaka trade and Biyombo signing we were *****ed. Now the possibilities are endless. 

The only thing that could kinda derail us a small amount is Isaac never getting healthy. I simply believe he will be well worth his 17 million. That's peanuts in today's NBA. Everybody else is moving parts. There is a small chance either Bamba or WCJ have a monster year and we have to pay them but who would be mad at that? Bring it on.

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I actually think we have a very bright future. We have not identified our true star yet, but we definitely have a workable timeline now. There is no way we make the playoffs next year. So we still have one more lottery pick incoming and a ton of flexibility. After the stupid Ibaka trade and Biyombo signing we were *****ed. Now the possibilities are endless. 

The only thing that could kinda derail us a small amount is Isaac never getting healthy. I simply believe he will be well worth his 17 million. That's peanuts in today's NBA. Everybody else is moving parts. There is a small chance either Bamba or WCJ have a monster year and we have to pay them but who would be mad at that? Bring it on.

Couple of JI contract things I’ve read. Apparently $2.6 million of the $17 million is incentive based around him playing at least 70 games. Also, we’ve apparently included an insurance policy on his left knee in the deal, so another knee injury to the same knee voids his contract if I’m not mistaken.

Theoretically we could sign and trade for someone into the Fournier exception right? 

Not sure there's anyone worth doing that on. Maybe Dinwiddie? Doubt he'd be interested.

Buy low on Oubre? The Warriors might even give up a 2nd to generate a TPE on Oubre in the mould of the Hayward deal Boston did.

Not a lot of exciting options anyway.

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Theoretically we could sign and trade for someone into the Fournier exception right? 

Not sure there's anyone worth doing that on. Maybe Dinwiddie? Doubt he'd be interested.

Buy low on Oubre? The Warriors might even give up a 2nd to generate a TPE on Oubre in the mould of the Hayward deal Boston did.

Not a lot of exciting options anyway.

The list of available SF this off-season via free agency is pretty thin. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/small-forward/

From a talent stand-point, Otto Porter might actually be the best player on the list we would actually have a chance to (re-)sign. The biggest problem with him is health.

I do like Oubre, and I think he would be a good fit here; I'm just not sure there is a realistic path to getting him here. I could possibly see the Warriors doing a sign and trade for the Fournier exception, but I think we would have to send a lottery-protected future 1st to get it done; andI honestly think if they can get him for the $17M that would fit into the Fournier exception they would be more likely to keep him. 

3 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

The list of available SF this off-season via free agency is pretty thin. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/small-forward/

From a talent stand-point, Otto Porter might actually be the best player on the list we would actually have a chance to (re-)sign. The biggest problem with him is health.

I do like Oubre, and I think he would be a good fit here; I'm just not sure there is a realistic path to getting him here. I could possibly see the Warriors doing a sign and trade for the Fournier exception, but I think we would have to send a lottery-protected future 1st to get it done; andI honestly think if they can get him for the $17M that would fit into the Fournier exception they would be more likely to keep him. 

I think we have dramatically different opinions on Oubres current value.

From everything I've heard it seems like Oubre isn't really interested in returning to the Warriors nor are they sure about bringing him back. Not sure why we'd give up anything for him. The Warriors have no control he's not an RFA. 

I also wouldn't pay him 17m. I only brought it up because after a down season I thought he could be had for a little bit cheaper at like 12m.