jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

35 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

With Hammond and Stackhouse I just have the shades of Borrego and Vaughn we have not seen a stable coach since Van Gundy 

And two of the last three coaches (Skiles, Clifford) have chosen to leave, forsaking millions, which is very unusual.  I still think it won’t be easy to convince a good to great coaching prospect to come here.  If they fail, which seems very likely, it may hinder them from getting another chance elsewhere.  

32 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

And two of the last three coaches (Skiles, Clifford) have chosen to leave, forsaking millions, which is very unusual.  I still think it won’t be easy to convince a good to great coaching prospect to come here.  If they fail, which seems very likely, it may hinder them from getting another chance elsewhere.  

Both Clifford and Skiles left because management made moves that drastically changed the future of the team and made it more of a rebuild than they signed up for. It’s hard to do after the last decade of dreadful basketball we’ve had but we have to try to treat this as a new opportunity to right the ship long term. There’s a few potential coaches to be really excited about, even if they don’t have a ton of experiences 

6 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Most NBA coaches really don't think like that. They are quite often ex pro athletes who would back themselves to succeed rather than fail.

Not to mention there are only 30 NBA HC jobs in the entire world so you'd have to be incredibly well regarded in the league to presume there are better opportunities out there for you. (Clifford is very well regarded in the league and I'd be very surprised if he's not coaching a playoff team next season).

We were really rebuilding with Skiles? Maybe I don't remember correctly, but I don't think that rebuild was the problem with him.

As for Clifford, he's surely well regarded in the league, but the way NBA is trending, I'm not sure he's one of those 30 coaches that deserve to be there... but he could be an option in specific situations.

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Most NBA coaches really don't think like that. They are quite often ex pro athletes who would back themselves to succeed rather than fail.

Not to mention there are only 30 NBA HC jobs in the entire world so you'd have to be incredibly well regarded in the league to presume there are better opportunities out there for you. (Clifford is very well regarded in the league and I'd be very surprised if he's not coaching a playoff team next season).

Oh, I completely agree that they won't have any trouble filling the job.  The question is whether the best prospects are going to want to come here.  I think coaches, especially aspiring ones looking to advance and show what they can do,  evaluate the opportunities because if they go 60-104 over two years, that is not exactly a steppingstone to further success.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Oh, I completely agree that they won't have any trouble filling the job.  The question is whether the best prospects are going to want to come here.  I think coaches, especially aspiring ones looking to advance and show what they can do,  evaluate the opportunities because if they go 60-104 over two years, that is not exactly a steppingstone to further success.

It depends what you mean by 'best prospects'. Coaches who have already had success as Head Coaches in the NBA may not want to come here. But a lot of less experienced coaches will see the young roster as a long leash which will allow them to grow and develop with the players. Like Brett Brown did in Philly. 

It really doesn't make sense on any level.

1) Kidd has been underwhelming (generous) to bad (more accurate) as a head coach.

2) The dichotomy between news of interviewing the first legitimate female NBA coaching candidate, followed immediately by news of interviewing Kidd, a domestic abuser.

3) The Magic's predilection for "high character guys" over recent years -- Kidd has a publicized DUI, a career littered with rumors successful and unsuccessful coups against coaches and front office members, and the aforementioned domestic violence plea.

4) Specific rumors of Kidd being on the precipice of taking over Hammond's job in MIL and Hammond being fired or reassigned to another position.  Admittedly, I think the credibility of this report must be lacking if the Magic truly do interview Kidd -- I cannot imagine Hammond doing that if Kidd truly tried to overthrow him.

I truly don't think I have seen one positive reaction from a Magic fan about the Kidd news.  It is universally disliked.  It would be the ultimate tone deaf hire, and while I am grossed out about him even getting an interview, I don't believe they are actually dumb enough to hire him.

• Upvote 2