Jump to content
jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Let’s hope they will be fun to watch.  They will if they’re competitive and play as a team.  But one of the issues that we’ve experienced with trying to tank and rebuild is that when you have many young players on a bad team, they start to think about their own futures as they realize that the team isn’t going anywhere.  And that can lead to people playing for themselves (to pad their own stats) instead of playing for the team.  No one really wants to watch that.  So it’s not a lock that having a bunch of young players, hopefully with some talent, automatically translates into exciting basketball.  

I love Suggs’ team approach to the game, which is why I think it’s important he starts. Meanwhile, given what we saw from Cole last year, I hope he comes off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no alternative that I'm suggesting, I just don't think any one franchise uses any one specific means to the nth degree aside what Sam Hinkie did on the tanking end and the Lakers being the Lakers on the other (and noone else has the option to do that really do they) . We tanked away one year but I don't think that's the entirety of it and isn't worth the offense it causes.

Having said that I didn't think through what I said on the Southeast as much as I'd have liked (sorry). I think I missed how short a time it's actually been since the last time the Hawks were competitive. I actually would be reasonably satisfied with how Atlanta turned that 60 win team from a few years back into what they have right now if I were a fan. I'm probably blinded a little by jealousy actually.

Charlotte and Washington on the other hand I remain the same on. I think they've committed too much in the past and now on things that aren't going to compete much long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

There is no alternative that I'm suggesting, I just don't think any one franchise uses any one specific means to the nth degree aside what Sam Hinkie did on the tanking end and the Lakers being the Lakers on the other (and noone else has the option to do that really do they) . We tanked away one year but I don't think that's the entirety of it and isn't worth the offense it causes.

Having said that I didn't think through what I said on the Southeast as much as I'd have liked (sorry). I think I missed how short a time it's actually been since the last time the Hawks were competitive. I actually would be reasonably satisfied with how Atlanta turned that 60 win team from a few years back into what they have right now if I were a fan. I'm probably blinded a little by jealousy actually.

Charlotte and Washington on the other hand I remain the same on. I think they've committed too much in the past and now on things that aren't going to compete much long term. 

All fair points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I love Suggs’ team approach to the game, which is why I think it’s important he starts. Meanwhile, given what we saw from Cole last year, I hope he comes off the bench.

I think that an important part of avoiding the situation I describe above is to have strong leadership, both from players and coaches.  We definitely didn’t have either the last time around.  If the coach sees selfishness and someone playing for themselves, they need to bench that player and have a talk with them.  There has to be accountability from day one, especially for a young team.  Player leadership would be similar, telling the player who’s out of line to cut it out.   It is possible that Suggs could provide that kind of leadership but it’s a lot to ask from a rookie.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I think that an important part of avoiding the situation I describe above is to have strong leadership, both from players and coaches.  We definitely didn’t have either the last time around.  If the coach sees selfishness and someone playing for themselves, they need to bench that player and have a talk with them.  There has to be accountability from day one, especially for a young team.  Player leadership would be similar, telling the player who’s out of line to cut it out.   It is possible that Suggs could provide that kind of leadership but it’s a lot to ask from a rookie.  

Good post. Agree. It’s hard because we’ve already seen some bad tendencies from guys like Cole, Mo and even a vet like TRoss. (And we saw it with Evan and AG, too). A clear plan, expectations and accountability are critical in resetting things in OTown. I’m hopeful a guy like Suggs can be the player leader we’ve needed for years now. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Good post. Agree. It’s hard because we’ve already seen some bad tendencies from guys like Cole, Mo and even a vet like TRoss. (And we saw it with Evan and AG, too). A clear plan, expectations and accountability are critical in resetting things in OTown. I’m hopeful a guy like Suggs can be the player leader we’ve needed for years now. 

Amen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I think that an important part of avoiding the situation I describe above is to have strong leadership, both from players and coaches.  We definitely didn’t have either the last time around.  If the coach sees selfishness and someone playing for themselves, they need to bench that player and have a talk with them.  There has to be accountability from day one, especially for a young team.  Player leadership would be similar, telling the player who’s out of line to cut it out.   It is possible that Suggs could provide that kind of leadership but it’s a lot to ask from a rookie.  

Amen and +1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Isaac being anti-vaccine is equally as upsetting as it was predictable. What a disappointing face of the franchise, but I’m sure the Devos family is loving it. Kid knows he’s straight up not allowed to play in some cities if he refuses right?

 

 

Oh Jesus (no pun intended). This is just silly 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×