jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Ah, yes, I will definitely get 2K22 when I have the time and budget for the $100 version. What console you on? I'm a park player; even no lifed and got to Legend in 2k20.

But yeah, I'm sick of tanking as well. That's such a quitters mentality to me. Yes, I understand the logic, but at some point you have to actually try or we'll just continue to be failures and perpetuate a losing culture. I'll admit I all but gave up on this team a few years ago, but I never will again no matter how disappointing it is at times. 

Yes, I love Isaac. I still think he can be a star. And i will miss Vuc and Gordon, but I'm glad we finally moved on.

@Natesroom I feel like Old Ben after playing basketball with the youngbloods earlier today. Not used to the heat down here like I used to be.

I think that tanking is a proven failing strategy that won't do anything beyond get you a flashy superstar that can create excitement for a few years, but it is not a winning philosophy and you'll be left right back where you started from in the end. I did an episode of my podcast where I actually break down tanking over the last 40 years, and it just simply doesn't work. In my opinion, it should never even be considered as an option. But the reason why I'm not so frequent here anymore is because I don't want to spend my spare time arguing over a losing philosophy. I left a Magic Facebook group I was in for the same reason.

I'm on X-Box Series S for NBA 2K. Just started up my Orlando MyNBA. I'm only 2 games in, but the shooting has been insanely difficult for me. I'm shooting like 13% on anything that's not a dunk. That being said, my back court trio of Fultz, Suggs, and Anthony is basically carrying me right now. They have been the only things worth talking about. My coach wanted me to trade Gary Harris, so I checked the trade finder and Sacramento offered me Buddy Hield. I jumped on him, and added him to my lineup, so right now my lineup is Fultz / Suggs / Hield / Isaac / Bamba with Anthony, Ross, Okeke, Wagner, and Carter Jr. coming off the bench.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

I think that tanking is a proven failing strategy that won't do anything beyond get you a flashy superstar that can create excitement for a few years, but it is not a winning philosophy and you'll be left right back where you started from in the end. I did an episode of my podcast where I actually break down tanking over the last 40 years, and it just simply doesn't work. In my opinion, it should never even be considered as an option. But the reason why I'm not so frequent here anymore is because I don't want to spend my spare time arguing over a losing philosophy. I left a Magic Facebook group I was in for the same reason.

I'm on X-Box Series S for NBA 2K. Just started up my Orlando MyNBA. I'm only 2 games in, but the shooting has been insanely difficult for me. I'm shooting like 13% on anything that's not a dunk. That being said, my back court trio of Fultz, Suggs, and Anthony is basically carrying me right now. They have been the only things worth talking about. My coach wanted me to trade Gary Harris, so I checked the trade finder and Sacramento offered me Buddy Hield. I jumped on him, and added him to my lineup, so right now my lineup is Fultz / Suggs / Hield / Isaac / Bamba with Anthony, Ross, Okeke, Wagner, and Carter Jr. coming off the bench.

Oh yeah Buddy Hield is a great pick up. Yeah that's always the hardest part: figuring out the new jumpshot mechanics each year. I bet it's even harder for a Franchise mode player because of all the different shots you have to learn and not just your own. 

But yes I will be a more positive person here and I'm also done with tanking so don't stay away forever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

Nice! I am currently downloading 2k22 on Xbox One and I’m looking forward to playing with the Magic. If you’re interested I play in an online 2K league that’s pretty active and we are going to be starting up another season soon and are looking for a few more players. Let me know and I can send you the details in a pm. 

19 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Oh yeah Buddy Hield is a great pick up. Yeah that's always the hardest part: figuring out the new jumpshot mechanics each year. I bet it's even harder for a Franchise mode player because of all the different shots you have to learn and not just your own. 

But yes I will be a more positive person here and I'm also done with tanking so don't stay away forever.

It's been super difficult this year lol. I always struggle with shooting, but this year seems worse than normal. I know that Orlando is bad, and with the loss of guys like Fournier, the 3 ball is even worse for them in 2K than it was last year, but 14% is just ridiculous lol.

Other than that tho, I'm having fun with it. I'll probably be getting in a game or 2 tonight.

I try to be positive and optimistic every year. Even if the team is bad, I understand that bad years are part of the cycle of sports. I was excited last year about how we were playing to start the season. Fultz was running the offense well, Vuc and Fournier were playing their role as supplemental pieces, and the youth of Cole, Okeke, Fultz, etc. were all getting significant minutes. I loved what I was seeing from the team, and I didn't think that injuries were a valid reason to blow the whole thing up.

But what's done is done. There are still things to be optimistic about. I am excited about Fultz / Suggs / Anthony / Okeke / Isaac, and I hope there's some real pieces in there for our future to build around. I still want to see if Bamba can develop into anything with significant playing time. Our team probably won't be any good this year, but I want us to go out and try to win every single game, and I am going to cheer any and every win we get. I don't care if it lessens our draft chances or anything like that. I never root for a loss.

• Upvote 2

Nice videos guys. We are going to need a lot of positive content these next two years. I'm not sure what i was reading but i was linked to a season prevue and realized we will almost assuredly be the last team in our division the next two years. Forget about the whole NBA, just look at our Division. 

Hawks.

Conference finalists, amazing collection of talent. Can't believe how many good to great players they have. All that and added Jalen Johnson and Sharife Cooper. Even having six players on the ESPN top 100, they managed to add some rookies and yet we give away all our second round picks. Those 6 players on the list don't even include Hunter,Reddish,Okongwu or even Lou Williams, former 6th man of the year who exploded in one of their playoff games this past year. If they don't break the Atlanta sports curse in the next 5 years, no Hawks team will.

Heat.

Recent NBA finalist, it was not even a year ago yet. Full of veterans now, when they recently had at least some youth. Chances are Lowry,Butler,Bam and Robinson will keep them at a high level the next couple years. After that all bets are off. They have little youth after Bam and Herro and no flexibility or picks. If the injury bug hits them they will drop hard, if not they are looking good the next few years.

Hornets.

Were a playoff team until the injuries piled up. This team can go either way. Looks like they drafted a future star last year with LaMelo. When they are healthy, Rozier and Hayward are worth the contracts. However, because of age, injury or size neither player is a game changer on defense. When your two highest paid players are one sided players your not going very far. They have a nice mix of youth, however. Bridges,Washington,and Oubre Jr. are young and interesting, but old enough for us to know they are not stars. High level rotation players is the ceiling at best for those 3. Still they drafted a few players our fans really liked. Bouknight,Kai and JT Thor could be the future along with LaMelo. In essence, the Hornets are a year or two ahead of us in a rebuild, while paying a few vets who might carry them to a playoff spot.

Wizards. 

Were a play in team. Forget that, however. What is important is they turned John Walls massive contract into Westbrook, then into a few smaller contract players. Now they have options instead of being horrible until Wall was gone. They still have Beal a legitimate star, although small "s". Still having a player who made an all NBA team and almost the leagues leading scorer is a big deal. Now that their cap is more manageable they have a legit shot to keep him. This team can go either way. They have a couple of interesting young players in Deni,Rui and Kispert. However if they sign Beal this team will have to figure out a rotation around him with all those pieces they have or using them to trade for somebody else. Of all the teams in the league we just have no idea how Dinwiddie,Kuzma,Harrell,Pope, and Bertans will play together. Still, all those players easily put them years ahead of the Magic. Each one is easily tradeable.

Magic. 

Jettisoned almost every veteran. A true, true rebuild. Way too far out to trade for a star either this year or next. Have a few interesting young players starting with Suggs,Anthony,Chuma,Rj and Wagner. Have some other young players with more years but almost rookie levels of actual playing time. Isaac,Fultz and Bamba. No bad contracts on the roster after this year and we should focus on keeping it that way for a bit, unless someone gives us a serious draft pick or player in return. Think kevin love or somebody like him. We are almost a lock to have one of the worst 5 records in the league the next two years so taking on a bad contract in that timeframe will not hurt us. Sadly i do not think our management is smart enough to handle that kind of trade. 

Ok now to the hard part. At most, even with luck i think we might have 1.5 future stars on this roster. At best. So even though it's a bummer next years draft lottery will be just as important as this last one. Thank god Toronto saved us, hopefully we win next years Lotto. Now let's enjoy the youth because this batch of young guys are much more exciting then 2013,2014. Trust me, they won't win much but will be a lot more fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

It's been super difficult this year lol. I always struggle with shooting, but this year seems worse than normal. I know that Orlando is bad, and with the loss of guys like Fournier, the 3 ball is even worse for them in 2K than it was last year, but 14% is just ridiculous lol.

Other than that tho, I'm having fun with it. I'll probably be getting in a game or 2 tonight.

I try to be positive and optimistic every year. Even if the team is bad, I understand that bad years are part of the cycle of sports. I was excited last year about how we were playing to start the season. Fultz was running the offense well, Vuc and Fournier were playing their role as supplemental pieces, and the youth of Cole, Okeke, Fultz, etc. were all getting significant minutes. I loved what I was seeing from the team, and I didn't think that injuries were a valid reason to blow the whole thing up.

But what's done is done. There are still things to be optimistic about. I am excited about Fultz / Suggs / Anthony / Okeke / Isaac, and I hope there's some real pieces in there for our future to build around. I still want to see if Bamba can develop into anything with significant playing time. Our team probably won't be any good this year, but I want us to go out and try to win every single game, and I am going to cheer any and every win we get. I don't care if it lessens our draft chances or anything like that. I never root for a loss.

Oh yeah, I take for granted being a park player coz my 3pt % last year was 40% which is good for a Slasher build. Still, I'll never truly get used to lag. 

And yes I'm an Isaac fan boy. I think his game is everything I wish I could've been as a basketball player. Defense and rebounding first but still somewhat of an offensive bag and spot up shooting. I just never grew into my giant feet and I absolutely cannot dribble relatively speaking. 

But anyway yes there's really no point in complaining. It's not like they're listening to our feedback. Although it seemed like Otis was lmao.

17 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Nice! I am currently downloading 2k22 on Xbox One and I’m looking forward to playing with the Magic. If you’re interested I play in an online 2K league that’s pretty active and we are going to be starting up another season soon and are looking for a few more players. Let me know and I can send you the details in a pm. 

Is it cross platform? I'm not on X-Box One, I'm on the Series S.

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

……Ok now to the hard part. At most, even with luck i think we might have 1.5 future stars on this roster. At best. So even though it's a bummer next years draft lottery will be just as important as this last one. Thank god Toronto saved us, hopefully we win next years Lotto. Now let's enjoy the youth because this batch of young guys are much more exciting then 2013,2014. Trust me, they won't win much but will be a lot more fun to watch.

Let’s hope they will be fun to watch.  They will if they’re competitive and play as a team.  But one of the issues that we’ve experienced with trying to tank and rebuild is that when you have many young players on a bad team, they start to think about their own futures as they realize that the team isn’t going anywhere.  And that can lead to people playing for themselves (to pad their own stats) instead of playing for the team.  No one really wants to watch that.  So it’s not a lock that having a bunch of young players, hopefully with some talent, automatically translates into exciting basketball.  

See this is where I'm stuck on team building. I don't want to suck the guts out of the organisation in the quest to find a franchise player but looking at Hootie's layout of the Southeast it is painfully obvious that while none of these other teams suck now, and their current squads came about as a result of trying to remain competitive despite lacking elite talent... all of them except Miami have had extended periods of being terrible or just long term mediocre beforehand. And even now, none of them have a top 5 - 10 guy and probably won't.

37 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

See this is where I'm stuck on team building. I don't want to suck the guts out of the organisation in the quest to find a franchise player but looking at Hootie's layout of the Southeast it is painfully obvious that while none of these other teams suck now, and their current squads came about as a result of trying to remain competitive despite lacking elite talent... all of them except Miami have had extended periods of being terrible or just long term mediocre beforehand. And even now, none of them have a top 5 - 10 guy and probably won't.

What’s the alternative to trying to build/develop your team?