jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Extential said:

Magic need to do everything they can to hire him as a shooting coach.

YES!!! I agree 100% and just his professionalism would do our young guys some good. Problem would be if he wanted to move his family again back to Orlando. 

10 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think tanking does have a place, but as you said, you have to try to build/develop. I also "want to see a well coached team ..." I agree with your post 100% 

Finding that balance, of tanking ONLY when necessary is the hard part. I think our biggest mistakes over the last ten years have been largely a result of getting stuck on Elfrid Payton. He was a large part of the reason we kept Fournier, and traded Oladipo. His shortfalls as a player/point guard stunted the development of those around him. We made poor trades partly to build around his shortcomings, but they never worked. 

I will be the first to admit, I liked what we saw from him in "flashes", but the problem was we never saw enough of them and they never came together. While I think our front office waited too long to blow it up and start over, I can see part of the reasoning - they needed to see how much development was left once Payton was removed from the grouping, see if there was recovery despite the "stunting", and see what they had to build with/around. They also had to try and build value with those players to make a restart possible. Do I think it could have been done sooner; possibly. Would we have gotten what we did for Vuc and AG any earlier; doubtful. 

This sort of thing is exactly what I am looking forward to not seeing happen again. I don't think it will either- just while I don't blindly believe in the Weltman/Hammond regime, I think they have made the best of the situation they realistically could. I think this year will be fun for us as fans, the team and the organisation too.

I think most of our youngsters are absolutely keepers. It's good to not be so fully invested in Bamba anymore and him and Hampton are the two I think are most at risk of falling off the perch. Although I irrationally love Cole, he will probably end up being the one who doesn't make it knowing my luck when I like something.

Here's to hoping Jalen Suggs will be our next top-20 player

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

i would be down with this... Wish the NBA still had Coach/Player postions like with Tree Rollins.. lol.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

YES!!! I agree 100% and just his professionalism would do our young guys some good. Problem would be if he wanted to move his family again back to Orlando. 

His wife is from Florida. Her Family probably still lives there.

I would have rather had JJ instead of Moore. The man is retiring - basically playing just a little less basketball then Moore lol. I'm sure he would have liked a 2 year (2 mil the first year) 2nd year player option contract.

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

I would have rather had JJ instead of Moore. The man is retiring - basically playing just a little less basketball then Moore lol. I'm sure he would have liked a 2 year (2 mil the first year) 2nd year player option contract.

JJ wanted to stay in and around the Brooklyn area where his family resides. Also he might just have wanted to retire? 

20 hours ago, Natesroom said:

i would be down with this... Wish the NBA still had Coach/Player postions like with Tree Rollins.. lol.

Are player coaches no longer allowed?

6 hours ago, Extential said:

His wife is from Florida. Her Family probably still lives there.

Plus people always retire to Florida right?

On 9/20/2021 at 3:23 PM, Guy Incognito said:

I miss Jareth too, guys.

I'm discount Jareth, but I'll do my best.

And yeah, JJZFL, I and possibly MULTIPLE other may in fact participate in discussions on this forum when the season begins. This, according to my sources, of course.

Yes, Aussie, I miss those old surreal discussions and tangents as well, though sometimes it was a bit much and for that I will partially apologize for. Another great one was Jackie Treehorn. Funny guy, and no that's not me. We all know everyone on this forum is just Jareth talking to himself anyway.

I'd participate more, but there's never much conversation going on other than "TANK!", and considering that I am 100% vehemently opposed to tanking... well... there's not much conversation for me to engage in.

But it's NBA2K season, and I just started my franchise mode, so my Magic kick is beginning.

I'm excited for the youth core of Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Isaac, and Okeke, and still interested in seeing if Bamba turns into anything. I hope we can be done with the tanking now, and watch our youth go out there and try to win, and start building around them now. No more Fournier, even Vuc and Gordon are gone, and we have expiring contracts over the next year or 2 to open up space to start making moves. I want to see improvement and building from here on out. No more tank mode.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

I'd participate more, but there's never much conversation going on other than "TANK!", and considering that I am 100% vehemently opposed to tanking... well... there's not much conversation for me to engage in.

But it's NBA2K season, and I just started my franchise mode, so my Magic kick is beginning.

I'm excited for the youth core of Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Isaac, and Okeke, and still interested in seeing if Bamba turns into anything. I hope we can be done with the tanking now, and watch our youth go out there and try to win, and start building around them now. No more Fournier, even Vuc and Gordon are gone, and we have expiring contracts over the next year or 2 to open up space to start making moves. I want to see improvement and building from here on out. No more tank mode.

Ah, yes, I will definitely get 2K22 when I have the time and budget for the $100 version. What console you on? I'm a park player; even no lifed and got to Legend in 2k20.

But yeah, I'm sick of tanking as well. That's such a quitters mentality to me. Yes, I understand the logic, but at some point you have to actually try or we'll just continue to be failures and perpetuate a losing culture. I'll admit I all but gave up on this team a few years ago, but I never will again no matter how disappointing it is at times. 

Yes, I love Isaac. I still think he can be a star. And i will miss Vuc and Gordon, but I'm glad we finally moved on.

@Natesroom I feel like Old Ben after playing basketball with the youngbloods earlier today. Not used to the heat down here like I used to be.

• Upvote 1

Okay...so from what I've been reading. There is trouble brewing in Minnesota. The players, particularly KAT, are not happy with Rosas being fired yesterday. 

Do you think KAT could be a good fit for our team? I'm obviously playing the imaginary scenario where we commit to him over WCJ or Mo. 

If he is traded, I don't see him going to another small market unless it's like a 4 team trade.

I would laugh if Philly traded Ben Simmons to Minn and then we jumped in to get KAT and DRuss went to Philly.