jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

On 9/1/2021 at 11:44 PM, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I don't understand why people would trade a lot of value for a guy that is a liability on the floor during crunch time because of his terrible FT shooting?

Because he brings you so much more during the regular season when it is harder to prepare specifically for him? And the thought that he is still fairly young and may be able to improve both the FT and 3PT shooting to continue expanding his game? He is a multiple time All-Star for a reason, even with his flaw(s). 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Because he brings you so much more during the regular season when it is harder to prepare specifically for him? And the thought that he is still fairly young and may be able to improve both the FT and 3PT shooting to continue expanding his game? He is a multiple time All-Star for a reason, even with his flaw(s). 

I'll upvote that!! You never turn down a 25 year old allstar with those intangibles, especially if you can get without giving up the farm.

Lebron had some serious shooting issues in his game as well, took him a decade and playing on a super team to hide those deficiencies before he won a ring.  And he's still working on his offense. Giannis still can't shoot.

Suggs and Simmons together could win and imagine if we get a third allstar out of RJ, Cole, Chuma,  Issac or Fultz (whomever we keep in the Simmons trade). Imagine having cap room if Simmons and Suggs are stars...someone else out there is going to force a trade to play with them.

The OKC, Spur route rarely happens where you draft all your stars. You usually get a title team by getting lucky and drafting one or two great guys and then a star either joins you in FA or forces a trade to you. They all want to play together.

Brooklyn have got 16 guys under contract at the moment. I wonder if we could take Doumbouya and a 2nd round pick into the Aminu trade exception. (Would save the Nets a lot in tax)

Free look at an athletic forward for nothing.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Brooklyn have got 16 guys under contract at the moment. I wonder if we could take Doumbouya and a 2nd round pick into the Aminu trade exception. (Would save the Nets a lot in tax)

Those are the type of low cost deals the Magic should be looking to make. But Doumbouya looks like a big bust, if a young team like the Piston's who are a lottery team for the next two years,are already giving up on him that may be a red flag.

Doumbuya is only 20, athletic, but doesn't look like in NBA player. 

We should be looking out for ways to steal young talent though.

Yeah i like where your head is at. Good idea in theory, and something i'm sure the magic will do in the future.  However we have a roster crunch. I'm sure nearing the deadline things will happen. They are going into the season to see what we have already. Eventually we will have to make some room on the roster and then we can take another look at some of these guys. We should have been acquiring low key players the last 4 years, but insisted on playing super low ceiling vets. All in the name of a couple playoff appearances. Well that's over now but since we have so many guys gonna have to wait a bit. 

1 hour ago, MagicTurk said:

Those are the type of low cost deals the Magic should be looking to make. But Doumbouya looks like a big bust, if a young team like the Piston's who are a lottery team for the next two years,are already giving up on him that may be a red flag.

Doumbuya is only 20, athletic, but doesn't look like in NBA player. 

We should be looking out for ways to steal young talent though.

He might be a bust but it's not like it matters that much to us next year. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm intrigued by Doumboya, but we have so many SF/PFs needing touches and development that I don't think he'd be able to shine here

10 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'm intrigued by Doumboya, but we have so many SF/PFs needing touches and development that I don't think he'd be able to shine here

We do? Isaac, Okeke, F Wagner are really the only true forwards on the team. Ross is really a SG, and M Wagner is more a C. Iggy is a 2WP. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:54 PM, jmmagicfan said:

We do? Isaac, Okeke, F Wagner are really the only true forwards on the team. Ross is really a SG, and M Wagner is more a C. Iggy is a 2WP. 

I think that even having too many young guys on the same team, regardless of position, can be tricky. Oladipo said just that about his time in Orlando, when everybody was looking to make a name for themselves and things didn't go as planned.

• Upvote 1