jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

I was just thinking about the supposed intangibles Suggs brings to the franchise: Leadership, responsibility assumption, hard work, selfless play, versatility, and consistency. When was the last time we had a player like that on our team?

53 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I was just thinking about the supposed intangibles Suggs brings to the franchise: Leadership, responsibility assumption, hard work, selfless play, versatility, and consistency. When was the last time we had a player like that on our team?

Elfrid Payton?  Hezonja?

If you don’t agree with those examples, then I guess you have to go all the way back to Jeff Green.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Elfrid Payton?  Hezonja?

If you don’t agree with those examples, then I guess you have to go all the way back to Jeff Green.  

Now that's funny

16 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Jameer Nelson. But I see Suggs as a better version. Now if Isaac can stay healthy, then we have something special for a long time. 

I am now intrigued at a Suggs, Simmons pairing. I don't believe the crap the dude is not going to get any better.  Already an allstar with elite defense. Giannis has some serious issues with his shot as well. 

If we could make a play without giving up Issac would anyone do it? Fultz, Ross, Bulls 1st rounder, (fillers).

I think they'd want Issac over Fultz sadly. Which I still would probably do.

Big no.
Simmons could be useful in teams that present a lot of shooters and require defense and playmaking (GS is a natural fit, but I understand them not wanting to pay a big price) but we already lack shooting, and we're not at that point to have to mortage our assets to a player that has surely talent, but also a lot of quesion marks.

11 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Big no.
Simmons could be useful in teams that present a lot of shooters and require defense and playmaking (GS is a natural fit, but I understand them not wanting to pay a big price) but we already lack shooting, and we're not at that point to have to mortage our assets to a player that has surely talent, but also a lot of quesion marks.

But if the price we're right? If we could give up just a vet (Harris or Ross), Fultz or Issac and the Bulls 1st rounder. I think its worth a look since we are keeping Suggs, Wagner, Hampton, (hopefully Issac), Cole in that scenario.

I agree GS is a better option. They may be able to trade Wiggins, Kuminga, picks to get him. Plus he's killing his trade value right now and asking to be sent to a Cali team. So they could probably get him for cheaper. What would happen to us is we'd  finish his development with a 2 year window and he'd end up opting out/or forcing another trade out west anyways. It would be Ibaka 2.0.

1 hour ago, MagicTurk said:

I am now intrigued at a Suggs, Simmons pairing. I don't believe the crap the dude is not going to get any better.  Already an allstar with elite defense. Giannis has some serious issues with his shot as well. 

If we could make a play without giving up Issac would anyone do it? Fultz, Ross, Bulls 1st rounder, (fillers).

I'm very skeptical of Simmons' ability to be part of an actual winning team, but I'd still do it if it meant keeping Isaac and Suggs

58 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'm very skeptical of Simmons' ability to be part of an actual winning team, but I'd still do it if it meant keeping Isaac and Suggs

They have made it to the eastern semi's 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs. I think Philly is making a haste decision with a 25 year old star. 

The big question with Simmons to me his shooting. He's a great playmaker and defender. Can we mask his shooting if Jalen we're the top option and we add some 3 and D guys around him? 

The other concern for me is both Fultz and Issac. Issac has some serious verbiage in his contract about his knee. We can get out of his contract if his knee isn't 100%. That to me shows the Magic are very concerned about his history of injuries. Fultz, I think it's his head. Does having a 2nd major injury ACL after the TOS completely derail the progress hes made. He can run an offense, but can't shoot a 3. We also have a non-Guraranteed third year for him. I'd take the potential of Simmons over Fultz any day of the week. I really am rooting for Issac to return, but the injury history...

If we could land a Simmons and get rid of one of those two big questions, I'd take it.

6 hours ago, MagicTurk said:

If you could trade for Simmons being the Magic you do it 6 times from Sunday. You give up Isaac in a heartbeat. Philly would never do it but since you brought it up. Philly is in a salary crunch the next few years but they do want to compete. Lets say the base of the deal is Ross and Isaac. Philly replaces the defensive prowess of Simmons with Isaac and gets another big guard with Ross who can shoot the three. Philly surrounds Embiid...their true star with a million shooters like Green,Curry,Ross and helps a size issue they have behind Tobias,Embiid and Dieng. They have a plethora of guards and will only struggle with playmakers, ballhandlers. However, when they have vets handling the ball half the time like Green,Embiid,Curry and youngsters like Shake and Maxey they can deal with it. 

There is no downside for us. Just like Houston and OKC we have decided to suck for at least two years. Trading Isaac has almost no impact because we have no chance to be a playoff team the next two years. That's half of Isaac's contract. The upside for us is a star, a ticket draw and a player who has a good chance to change our future. Give them our 2022 pick which probably will be high lottery with Simmons and hope Morey and his Hubris will think we will suck so that the pick will be worse. Absolute worse case scenario, Simmons is a good trade Chip when  Suggs,Fultz, Chuma, whoever plays great and has to be paid 3 years from now.

Edit; It will not happen but the only thing that would bother me is the other picks. If we traded for Simmons i would not care about next years pick, i know everyone here would considering that would be the best one probably but picks are like the Box or Boat conundrum. Get Simmons and we have Suggs and Simmons and all of our other guys for 3 years. We don't know what next years pick could be. The crutch would be what else we gave up.

Still, it's a fantasy.

It would be something like our next years pick top 4 protected(standard shown last few years..see the Wolves/Rockets/OKC trades and the meat of the deal). Then another pick from us and one of the Bulls or Nuggets pick. Morey would want a few pick swaps and that is where the deal could break down. All this is fantasy because Morey would be taking a big chance on Isaacs injury history. If it wasn't for that we would be front runners for Simmons.

• Downvote 1