jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently there are rumours that Suggs has some anxiety issues that seem to be being put out there as an answer to the question "why did the Raptors pass on Suggs" (full disclosure I haven't heard the source but it apparently came up on a Jay Bilas podcast) and to be honest that sounds insane considering everything I've seen of Suggs so far. 

I'll take it if it's anxiety to be the best! :)

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently there are rumours that Suggs has some anxiety issues that seem to be being put out there as an answer to the question "why did the Raptors pass on Suggs" (full disclosure I haven't heard the source but it apparently came up on a Jay Bilas podcast) and to be honest that sounds insane considering everything I've seen of Suggs so far. 

My guess is far more players (and people in general) have anxiety issues than we (or they) even realize. Not to trivialize mental health, but if it’s true and he’s aware of it, he’s already ahead of the curve. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

EDIT: sorry for the double post

16 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yes and no. As an anxious person myself, I don't outwardly show many signs of it even though I could be bordering on panic internally. And certain places become "havens" if you will. When I started having panic attacks / anxiety in high school, I would be totally fine on the basketball/volleyball courts but a mess everywhere else. We don't really see Suggs behind the scenes.

I agree with you that he doesn't come across as an anxious guy in what we see, but people tell me I don't either. And they'd be wrong lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ML6 said:

Yes and no. As an anxious person myself, I don't outwardly show many signs of it even though I could be bordering on panic internally. And certain places become "havens" if you will. When I started having panic attacks / anxiety in high school, I would be totally fine on the basketball/volleyball courts but a mess everywhere else. We don't really see Suggs behind the scenes.

I agree with you that he doesn't come across as an anxious guy in what we see, but people tell me I don't either. And they'd be wrong lol. 

Oh I'm with you on the fact that anxiety can affect people differently. I guess I should say he's good at hiding it if he is anxious, because he comes across as supremely confident. 

Cavs acquiring Lauri Markannen... Not that I care about the Cavs but that doesn't seem like a good move.. 

Portland getting Larry Nance in the deal is great for them. Think he's almost exactly the big they needed to play with Dame. 

Speaking of markannen trade, I will never understand this thing of trading for a protected first round pick, and if it is not conveyed after so many years, it becomes a 2nd rounder

Its a backwards logic. If the team was unable to receive their part of the deal sooner, they should be rewarded, not punished like this. It is a trade clause that I will never understand.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

Its a backwards logic. If the team was unable to receive their part of the deal sooner, they should be rewarded, not punished like this. It is a trade clause that I will never understand.

Same here, +1.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

Speaking of markannen trade, I will never understand this thing of trading for a protected first round pick, and if it is not conveyed after so many years, it becomes a 2nd rounder

Agree - if it doesn't convey the first year due to protections, then those protections should be less or removed completely in subsequent years. So if it is lottery-protected in '22, it should be nor more than top-4 in '23, top-1 in '24, unprotected in '25. The problem is, there is a limit on how far out you can trade a first-round pick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Agree - if it doesn't convey the first year due to protections, then those protections should be less or removed completely in subsequent years. So if it is lottery-protected in '22, it should be nor more than top-4 in '23, top-1 in '24, unprotected in '25. The problem is, there is a limit on how far out you can trade a first-round pick. 

Obviously this makes logical sense, but you likely aren’t going to get another team to agree to those terms. 

9 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Teams negotiate this stuff. 

Some picks do things like this. Some don't. 

I can't see why there should be any rules specifically stating this needs to happen. 

Both teams agree to trades and pick protections as they happen. Limiting what protections can be put on picks would only lead to fewer trades which is not what the league or the teams want. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2021 at 2:33 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Teams negotiate this stuff. 

Some picks do things like this. Some don't. 

I can't see why there should be any rules specifically stating this needs to happen. 

Both teams agree to trades and pick protections as they happen. Limiting what protections can be put on picks would only lead to fewer trades which is not what the league or the teams want. 

Agree.