jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

It's all on paper, every season every team changes a lot, you never know... even if the start is strong, maybe it's better for you, we'll have time to learn and then win some later, when the group already has some experience playing together. The point for me is always play the right way and give it all every single game.

From the graph on the prior page, it looks like we're expected to have about 12 wins for the season.  No matter how hard they play, if that's anywhere close to being right, it will be very tough to watch the Magic this season, and probably for a good while afterwards.

Edit:  Looking at the graph again, I think the x-axis may start at 20 rather than 0 as I initially assumed. That would mean the expectation is for us to win 22-23 games. Doesn’t really change my take up above. 

Still a graph that has nothing to do with reality. :)

How many graphs predicted the Suns to make the NBA finals last season? Or Atlanta to make the conference finals? Obviously I'm not saying we're going to achieve that, but as you told in the past, there're things that are more important than wins in watching a team. A couple of season ago, we were a borderline playoff team, but IMO still almost unwatchable.

I've also read that we're going to be one of the only 3 teams with 30m in cap space next season. Don't know who will be available, and even more important who is willing to join us, but I strongly hope we're not going to repeat a Biyombo experience. That one is going to be a big test for the FO, if there's nothing available that makes sense, I just hope that they will keep the space, or make move for assets, avoiding to fullfill the sheet with Aminu-like contracts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

Still a graph that has nothing to do with reality. :)

How many graphs predicted the Suns to make the NBA finals last season? Or Atlanta to make the conference finals? Obviously I'm not saying we're going to achieve that, but as you told in the past, there're things that are more important than wins in watching a team. A couple of season ago, we were a borderline playoff team, but IMO still almost unwatchable.

I've also read that we're going to be one of the only 3 teams with 30m in cap space next season. Don't know who will be available, and even more important who is willing to join us, but I strongly hope we're not going to repeat a Biyombo experience. That one is going to be a big test for the FO, if there's nothing available that makes sense, I just hope that they will keep the space, or make move for assets, avoiding to fullfill the sheet with Aminu-like contracts.

Agreed. Spending money for the sake of spending money (see Chicago, Knicks this offseason) is not a road to create a championship team. 

I hope the front office is smarter than that. 

The beginning of our schedule is obviously brutal, but as far as I can tell the graph has us with the hardest schedule partially because it also has us worse than everyone in the league except OKC (who we appear to be tied with,) and because they rate the Southeast very strongly. Obviously he Hawks are very good, and the Hornets are on their way up, but I don’t see how Miami has cemented themselves as this world destroyer that some people seem to expect.

So I know it's really early and I am very excited to see this team have a crack at winning a few games this year, but is it out of line to start watching videos and getting on the hype train for someone like Jaden Hardy or Paolo Banchero

3 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

So I know it's really early and I am very excited to see this team have a crack at winning a few games this year, but is it out of line to start watching videos and getting on the hype train for someone like Jaden Hardy or Paolo Banchero

I've been wading into the 2022 draft too. Then again I'd probably be doing that a bit even if the Magic weren't projected to have a high pick. That being said I think we can all agree it's pretty likely the Magic will have a lottery pick so there's no reason not to start familiarising ourselves with the prospects. One thing I would say though is this time last year mocks had BJ Boston, Jalen Johnson, and Keon Johnson all in the top 10. A lot can change between now and then. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I'd imagine we're hoping to use the Fournier TPE to grab some assets that would eat into that 30m space. Also any Gary Harris trade would also probably eat into that as he's an expiring so taking back more salary + assets for him could be on the table. 

If the Magic were going to use that space on free agents they probably could have started this summer by using the MLE. The fact that they didn't bodes well that they're not going to spend needlessly next summer I think.

We''ll see, could be interesting.
30m, if they are going to keep them all, allow you to make a run to a top player... so could be good to leave that option open. But as you said, they could easily use that space in other ways before even starting the FA period. Anyway, that will give us a better idea on how they're going to act to finally build that contender in the future.

There aren't really any free agents worth making a run at. Harden, Irving and Beal all have Player Options so could be FAs but seems like Kyrie and Harden are going to sign max extensions with Brooklyn. The best UFA is Zach Lavine. Apart from Lavine and potentially Beal I can't see anybody I'd be super excited about paying 20m never mind a max unless you think there's any chance you can get someone like MPJ from Denver as an RFA (highly, highly doubtful). 

Even if we don't use the Fournier TPE there's still potential we could facilitate somebody signing and trading for Beal or Lavine or whoever in the summer with our cap space.