jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

I think our division is currently better than it has been in years, with the heat, hawks and hornets all seeming to be playoff bound and the first 2 maybe even top 4 in the conference with bucks and nets.

Maybe we are better than the wizards, but I dont see us winning more than 30 games, even if everyone is healthy this time around

I think winning a mid 30's number of games is a win for us this year. We'll be near .500 with a team that is majority under the age of 24 and continuing to make strides. 

• Upvote 1

ESPN Story:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32046072/nba-offseason-survey-execs-scouts-biggest-deals-best-players-2022-title-favorites

The best move(s) of the offseason?

.... The other move to get more than one vote was the Magic landing guard Jalen Suggs with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2021 draft. Suggs, who led Gonzaga to the NCAA championship game in the spring, was tapped as the player who can finally return the Magic to relevancy after spending the past several years mired in the middle of nowhere in the East hierarchy.

"I think he's the kind of player that could change the direction of that franchise," an East executive said.

-------

This says something. 

So, out of 15 guys we currently have (13 on the roster, 1 pending, 1 on 2WP) we only have 4 guys over 25.

Lopez - 33, Ross - 30, MCW - 29, Harris - 26. M Wagner is 24 (25 on 4/26), and nobody else will be 25 this season.

We have three guys who aren't legally old enough to drink - F Wagner - 19 (20 on 8/27), Suggs - 20 (21 on 6/3), and Hampton - 20 (21 on 2/7). I'm not saying we are young and need some time/experience, but damn! I was pleased with Janis Timma on our summer league team, and if we don't re-sign Ennis, I think Timma would be a good second choice. Even though Timma would be a rookie, his years of experience playing professionally in Europe offsets that to a large extent. I'm not sure that we are going to sign another player to fill that 15th roster spot, but I doubt Timma would accept a 2WP contract - he can probably make more going back to Europe. If we don't sign a 15th player, I can see us using the second 2WP contract on DJ Hogg; if we do sign another forward to the roster, I think we might give the spot to Hassani Gravett. We will have to wait and see.  

17 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Cam is there if the Magic want him, and i do think he has potential. The fact that we keep punting 2nd round picks makes me doubt anything happens. First of all, let me state my obvious disappointment with our draft process and the numbers game. Atlanta made the conference finals and have a ton of rotation ready players and still drafted 3 players in the draft. AND ALL 3 LOOKED GOOD! 

Doesn't that piss you off a little? And they also have less of a roster crunch since they made trades after the draft, obviously to make room for all the good players they have. Second, they have to pay Trea,Hunter,Huerter and Cam soon, starting with Trea of course. They do actually have a payroll crunch and we have several trade exceptions. We fit as nearly a perfect trade partner for Cam. I would mention being a division rival stopping them trading them to us but i'm positive they couldn't care less, we just have to make a move. He is worth taking a chance on. Atlanta will 90% trade Cam if Hunter looks good to go this preseason. Next player to go will be possibly Huerter before or during the season, depending on how he comes back from injury. I would try to trade them Ross for Huerter and Cam but i'm guessing at the least they are trying to trade cam without getting back salary and taking whatever draft capitol they can get back. A Ross trade would only come into play if Huerter  looks bad or hurt during the offseason.

So jealous of the Jalen Johnson draft by the Hawks. They get 4 super cheap rookie years from him which might let them avoid the salary cap crush later on. If he looks good this year they can trade Galinari and have pretty good negotiations with Hunter and Okongwu. If he develops into a star i think this division is gonna be a problem. 

I mean lets face things. The Hawks and Heat rule the division right now and the Hawks sure look like a long term problem. Hornets and Wizards made some cool move as well, if only to give themselves flexibility. And one of them should make the playoffs too!

Spot on!

And me too, I also envy ATL at this moment: they have a star in the making, a well balanced roster and just made very good draft choices (I had Jalen Johnson well above Wagner on my list…).

But hey, hopefully we just got our very own “star in the making” in Suggs and are also poised to build a nice roster. Let’s see if our FO is up to it.

The Robert Williams contract extension (54m over 4 years) has to be an indicator of the type of deal WCJ or Bamba would get (currently - if they are great this season that'd change). 

34 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

The Robert Williams contract extension (54m over 4 years) has to be an indicator of the type of deal WCJ or Bamba would get (currently - if they are great this season that'd change). 

I think that is a pretty fair comparison for WCJ, maybe a little strong for what Bamba has shown so far; but who knows what will happen this season. The fact that Bamba was one of the first to go work with the new coach, and travelled to Vegas to continue working with the summer league team, even though he wasn't playing, says a lot about how seriously he is taking this summer, this season, and the chance to "re-boot" his career with the team. 

4 minutes ago, MagicTurk said:

Schedule dropped. That has to be one of the toughest starts to an NBA season we've ever had. We may have less than 5 wins going into 2022.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/orl

I looked at your commentary and had the reaction, “Yeah - no way it’s that bad.”

*looks at the link*
“Oooooo - this is bad.” 

The schedule is brutal for the first couple of months but then the last couple of months we're mostly at home against the not so great teams. I expect we'll lose a lot pre all star break, trade a vet or two at the deadline and then have a hopeful winning streak in the last month or two of the season which half the fan base will be annoyed about because it'll cost us better lottery odds.