jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Where did you see this? Does it mention with which teams?

No it was a report by a Cleveland reporter about some players who were on the market it didn't suggest which teams were interested or anything like that. 

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://factoryofsadness.co/2021/08/17/cavs-team-pursuing-cam-reddish-mistake/

Reddish and Culver stats are actually pretty similar after 2 years

Interesting article, thanks.

Indeed, his shooting has been generally disappointing but what gives me “hope” is his FT% which has constantly been above 80% and especially his performances these last playoffs, against the Bucks: 52,8% FG, 64,3% 3PT, 80%FT in 4 games.

So yes, it is a bit of a flier (also because he has had some injuries) but imo it makes total sense, especially if we can get him in exchange for 2nd round picks, that are so very useless to our FO…

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Reddish is going to be a stud. Honestly i see all star potential 

How do people say that if shooting and decision making is just so bad right now? I get he's young, but you normally show improvement from the 1st to 2nd season and he's gotten worse. 

Cam is there if the Magic want him, and i do think he has potential. The fact that we keep punting 2nd round picks makes me doubt anything happens. First of all, let me state my obvious disappointment with our draft process and the numbers game. Atlanta made the conference finals and have a ton of rotation ready players and still drafted 3 players in the draft. AND ALL 3 LOOKED GOOD! 

Doesn't that piss you off a little? And they also have less of a roster crunch since they made trades after the draft, obviously to make room for all the good players they have. Second, they have to pay Trea,Hunter,Huerter and Cam soon, starting with Trea of course. They do actually have a payroll crunch and we have several trade exceptions. We fit as nearly a perfect trade partner for Cam. I would mention being a division rival stopping them trading them to us but i'm positive they couldn't care less, we just have to make a move. He is worth taking a chance on. Atlanta will 90% trade Cam if Hunter looks good to go this preseason. Next player to go will be possibly Huerter before or during the season, depending on how he comes back from injury. I would try to trade them Ross for Huerter and Cam but i'm guessing at the least they are trying to trade cam without getting back salary and taking whatever draft capitol they can get back. A Ross trade would only come into play if Huerter  looks bad or hurt during the offseason.

So jealous of the Jalen Johnson draft by the Hawks. They get 4 super cheap rookie years from him which might let them avoid the salary cap crush later on. If he looks good this year they can trade Galinari and have pretty good negotiations with Hunter and Okongwu. If he develops into a star i think this division is gonna be a problem. 

I mean lets face things. The Hawks and Heat rule the division right now and the Hawks sure look like a long term problem. Hornets and Wizards made some cool move as well, if only to give themselves flexibility. And one of them should make the playoffs too!

• Like 1

I don’t really buy the Hawks as contenders honestly. Lots of things broke their way this year in a season without fans. It would not surprise me if this core doesn’t make another ECF. 

41 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I don’t really buy the Hawks as contenders honestly. Lots of things broke their way this year in a season without fans. It would not surprise me if this core doesn’t make another ECF. 

I'm agreeing here. They have some good pieces. Trae Young is no doubt a stud, but the difference in their roster vs. ours is that they had a go to leader and scorer. I think y'all are sleeping on the Magic if (and obviously a big if) everyone can actually stay healthy. 

A Markelle, Suggs, Okeke, Isaac, WCJ line-up is defensively scary and offensively is just one player taking a leap forward towards their potential to be a serious starting 5 ready to push into the lower bounds of the playoffs. 

Just saw on Twitter that apparently TRoss said on his podcast that Courtney Lee has been hired by the Magic as a player development coach. Can't find any other source on that yet though.

29 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just saw on Twitter that apparently TRoss said on his podcast that Courtney Lee has been hired by the Magic as a player development coach. Can't find any other source on that yet though.

I like that move. CLee wasn’t an otherworldly athlete, but he worked hard to do a lot of things well, so I could see him being good in that role. 

13 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I'm agreeing here. They have some good pieces. Trae Young is no doubt a stud, but the difference in their roster vs. ours is that they had a go to leader and scorer. I think y'all are sleeping on the Magic if (and obviously a big if) everyone can actually stay healthy. 

A Markelle, Suggs, Okeke, Isaac, WCJ line-up is defensively scary and offensively is just one player taking a leap forward towards their potential to be a serious starting 5 ready to push into the lower bounds of the playoffs. 

I think our division is currently better than it has been in years, with the heat, hawks and hornets all seeming to be playoff bound and the first 2 maybe even top 4 in the conference with bucks and nets.

Maybe we are better than the wizards, but I dont see us winning more than 30 games, even if everyone is healthy this time around

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I always think of "What if" if we had kept him and that team chemistry in tact. I get that Vince Carter was that "go to" scorer we were looking for and clearly lacked in the Finals, but he did all the little things you want in a solid role player on a championship caliber team. 

I'm sure most of this is based on need in our player development office, but another part of me thinks Courtney Lee equally has the question of "What if" he had been given the opportunity to stay and keep competing here. 

Just now, TreyMachine said:

I always think of "What if" if we had kept him and that team chemistry in tact. I get that Vince Carter was that "go to" scorer we were looking for and clearly lacked in the Finals, but he did all the little things you want in a solid role player on a championship caliber team. 

I'm sure most of this is based on need in our player development office, but another part of me thinks Courtney Lee equally has the question of "What if" he had been given the opportunity to stay and keep competing here. 

I thought he was gonna take off after the trade, as many of our former players did, but he was just average his whole career