jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Franz is 2 years younger, bigger, more athletic and better at everything except shooting. 

And the most important thing is his shot isn’t broken. He just clearly needs to put on some weight/muscle to hit that NBA 3 with consistency. Love all the little things he does though and I honestly don’t get all the hate he’s getting on here. Was he a reach perhaps but he isn’t a terrible pick by any means and can definitely be a glue guy later on in his career ala Kris Middleton that does everything needed on both sides of the floor to win games. 

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

I know that making roster decisions simply to appease the fan base would definitely be wrong and stupid and thus they won't do it... but damn it'd be fun if Timma got that roster spot. 

I wouldn’t mind that pickup at all tbh. He is all business when on the court and can be the exact gritty vet we need on the bench. He also plays team ball which some of our guys could use some more lessons on. 

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Franz is 2 years younger, bigger, more athletic and better at everything except shooting. 

And shooting is exactly what we need. That's why I wanted Kispert. I think he's gonna score like JJ.

It's such a shame he went down last season when he was off to the best start in his career. We were a fun team to watch during that time, too. The 15-18 foot shot looks sort of like his shot at Washington, and he shot those at a respectable clip too. Can't wait to see him and Suggs in the backcourt, with Cole and RJ backing them up.

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently TRoss is still available in trade talks. Not surprising. 

I say we trade him to Atlanta for Cam Reddish. He's still young (21 years old) has untapped potential and fits in perfectly with our young core.

17 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently TRoss is still available in trade talks. Not surprising. 

Where did you see this? Does it mention with which teams?

12 hours ago, Shine88 said:

I say we trade him to Atlanta for Cam Reddish. He's still young (21 years old) has untapped potential and fits in perfectly with our young core.

I am all in on Reddish, I love his potential and how he fits with our roster and timeline.

However, rumours about him being moved are because ATL wants to avoid having to pay him next summer or loosing him for nothing so I don’t think they would take TRoss contract in return, also because they already have shooters in Bogdan or Huerter.

IMO, 2 future 2nd round picks in exchange for Cam would be the best outcome for both us and ATL.

I don't really have an issue with all the Cam Reddish hype on this board, provided the price is low. I think JayMac's suggestion of 2 future 2nds is about as much as we should be willing to offer. Part of that is because we are already developing so many guys, but most of it is... he hasn't been good, like, at all.

Look at these shooting numbers for a guy who was pegged as a shooter:

Duke (2018-2019): 35.6% FG, 33.3% 3P

NBA rookie season (2019-2020): 38.4% FG, 33.2% 3P

NBA 2nd season (2020-2021): 36.5% FG, 26.2% (!!) 3P

Three seasons and he hasn't cracked 40% from the field? Topping out at 33.3% from deep? I get that on paper he has a lot of the physical tools we look for in modern players, but so far that has not translated at all to productive play. Yes, I get he's been in and out due to injury. Yes, I think he is probably already an above average defender. But I just feel we should be seeing more from a guy who everyone (but me) seems to value so highly. 

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

I don't really have an issue with all the Cam Reddish hype on this board, provided the price is low. I think JayMac's suggestion of 2 future 2nds is about as much as we should be willing to offer. Part of that is because we are already developing so many guys, but most of it is... he hasn't been good, like, at all.

Three seasons and he hasn't cracked 40% from the field? Topping out at 33.3% from deep? I get that on paper he has a lot of the physical tools we look for in modern players, but so far that has not translated at all to productive play. Yes, I get he's been in and out due to injury. Yes, I think he is probably already an above average defender. But I just feel we should be seeing more from a guy who everyone (but me) seems to value so highly. 

While Reddish is a fine defender with defensive RAPTOR scores of 0.0 in ’19-’20 and a +0.1 in ’20-’21, what he isn’t is a good offensive player. He’s not just a bad offensive player, he’s gotten worse. For context, Reddish and Darius Garland had near-identical +/- on offense as rookies; Garland had a -2.6, Reddish a -2.9. Keep in mind that Garland, as a rookie, was graded out as the worst player in the NBA for the number of minutes played.  So they were both very bad offensively as first-years.

In year two, Reddish improved to a -2.6, while Garland improved to a +0.2. Garland played on a worse team and didn’t play alongside someone as talented as Trae Young and yet showed far more growth. There’s really no excuse for Reddish to still be that ineffective in year two.

Let’s go beyond metrics, and just start talking facts and stats. Reddish declined in year two, which isn’t entirely true. That sort of implies that Reddish had a good rookie year. He did not. He was one of the worst players in the league as a rookie. This, despite the fact that there was so much hype around Reddish after he fell to the Hawks at No. 10 in the 2019 Draft. Many claimed he was the steal of the draft.

He only shot 38% from the floor as a rookie and shot a rough 32% from three. As a sophomore in the league, his shooting stats fell to 36.5% from the floor and 26.2% from three. Yet, the Cavs want to dangle out draft picks and Cedi Osman? Why? Osman is stastically better than Reddish.

I thought the team wanted to upgrade the spot?

Yes, Reddish is a solid defender, but the team has a solid wing defender right now who can’t shoot in Isaac Okoro. You’re going to what, build a team around Okoro and Reddish’s ability to miss three’s? Sound logic. Let’s go with that. Never mind the fact the Cavs inability to compete with teams stemmed from the fact they were outshot from behind the arc, making it impossible to keep pace.  No, let’s add another ineffective three-point shooter to the mix. That’ll show them.

Learn from P.J. Washington’s mistake; just because someone is available doesn’t mean they’re right for you. Reddish has had two back-to-back bad years and is available for a trade. What does that say about how the Hawks feel about him?

If the Hawks are ready to cut bait on someone many thoughts was a top-three pick in that draft class, then that is a sign he’s trending in the wrong direction. Let him be someone else’s reclamation project.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2021/08/17/cavs-team-pursuing-cam-reddish-mistake/

Reddish and Culver stats are actually pretty similar after 2 years

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

I agree he wouldn't be someone Id be actively trying to acquire. To be honest I'd want more than just him for TRoss.