jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Sometimes seem like humanity has lost the ability of having a long term vision of things, everyone seem caught by the moment and by the last game (or tweet)... but maybe it's just me...

Comments section culture. Endemic of social media's current formatting in that if you want to be involved you have to say something, but if you want to say something you risk looking silly when you're not really involved.

Man, I hate society. Not the place for this I know 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

I feel like we've all kind of forgotten how good markelle could be...

He was playing great last year until the injury. There was a reason he was the consensus #1 pick in 2017. The man is only 23. He and Suggs will be a force that I’m very excited to watch. 

23 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

I feel like we've all kind of forgotten how good markelle could be...

... if the recovering has gone well, and if he will improve year after year on his outside shooting. Otherwise, still a good player but...

Franz might have a better feel for the game than Chuma, and that's saying something. Any anti-Franz takes after watching these games really crystallizes for me a) who just overreacts to things in general, and b) who would rather watch flashy chuckers than actual basketball players.

Frankly it is beyond me how people could watch those games and come away thinking anything other than "that guy really knows how to play". Well timed cuts for easy buckets (multiple times per game), smart screens in and out of system to spring teammates, passing guys open, etc. If he wasn't 2-13 from 3, I think a lot of the weird negative talk wouldn't be happening.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Franz might have a better feel for the game than Chuma, and that's saying something. Any anti-Franz takes after watching these games really crystallizes for me a) who just overreacts to things in general, and b) who would rather watch flashy chuckers than actual basketball players.

Frankly it is beyond me how people could watch those games and come away thinking anything other than "that guy really knows how to play". Well timed cuts for easy buckets (multiple times per game), smart screens in and out of system to spring teammates, passing guys open, etc. If he wasn't 2-13 from 3, I think a lot of the weird negative talk wouldn't be happening.

Daft takes and over reactions are standard for summer league unfortunately.

He had his best game by some margin last night. He is going to get a lot of easy buckets off Suggs and Fultz with how good he is at cutting and he should be pretty solid defensively from day 1. Does need to work on his 3 point shooting as that will really open things up for him to drive past players when they get too close. I wasn't too high on the pick draft night but I can definitely see what the FO like about him. Would like him to work on being a bit more aggressive as seems quite passive but hopefully that's something that disappears once he gets more comfortable as an NBA player.

6 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Daft takes and over reactions are standard for summer league unfortunately.

He had his best game by some margin last night. He is going to get a lot of easy buckets off Suggs and Fultz with how good he is at cutting and he should be pretty solid defensively from day 1. Does need to work on his 3 point shooting as that will really open things up for him to drive past players when they get too close. I wasn't too high on the pick draft night but I can definitely see what the FO like about him. Would like him to work on being a bit more aggressive as seems quite passive but hopefully that's something that disappears once he gets more comfortable as an NBA player.

You definitely pinpointed the things that we'll want to see improve. I don't think he's ever going to be a Tier 1 guy by any means. But you don't get many guys coming into the league who have his level of feel in terms of timing, spacing, movement, etc. Along with than hyper-elite athleticism, I'd probably rank IQ/feel as the most important building block for a young player. And it's clear that's the foundation he's starting with. 

Watching Wagner and Kispert I’ll take Kispert 9 times out of ten. Wagner is a project, period. Kispert is not quite as athletic, but by no means is Wagner an elite athlete. Kispert is better at everything else except maybe defense and is a flat out shooter. Just as high a bb iq also. And if you think Wagner will develop as a shooter I don’t see it and y’all need to take off the rose colored glasses. 

5 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Watching Wagner and Kispert I’ll take Kispert 9 times out of ten. Wagner is a project, period. Kispert is not quite as athletic, but by no means is Wagner an elite athlete. Kispert is better at everything else except maybe defense and is a flat out shooter. Just as high a bb iq also. And if you think Wagner will develop as a shooter I don’t see it and y’all need to take off the rose colored glasses. 

Franz is 2 years younger, bigger, more athletic and better at everything except shooting. 

I know that making roster decisions simply to appease the fan base would definitely be wrong and stupid and thus they won't do it... but damn it'd be fun if Timma got that roster spot. 

• Like 1