jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Couple of things from SL practice interviews today, Cole said Coach Mosely has challenged him to be an elite defensive player this season.

When asked by Josh Robbins about whether coach envisions Cole playing the 1 or the 2 he essentially dodged the question while vaguely referring to flexibility and having multiple playmakers so I'm guessing that means both?

One thing about Coach Mosely is he really doesn't seem comfortable with the reporters yet. He has his rehearsed mantras like "pace, space and the pass" and also on defense he's using "tough, talking, tied together" which are nice sound bites but they're pretty shallow. Hopefully he'll start to open up and get a little more comfortable with these things as he gets used to the role and we can see more of his personality and get a little more insight. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Couple of things from SL practice interviews today, Cole said Coach Mosely has challenged him to be an elite defensive player this season.

When asked by Josh Robbins about whether coach envisions Cole playing the 1 or the 2 he essentially dodged the question while vaguely referring to flexibility and having multiple playmakers so I'm guessing that means both?

One thing about Coach Mosely is he really doesn't seem comfortable with the reporters yet. He has his rehearsed mantras like "pace, space and the pass" and also on defense he's using "tough, talking, tied together" which are nice sound bites but they're pretty shallow. Hopefully he'll start to open up and get a little more comfortable with these things as he gets used to the role and we can see more of his personality and get a little more insight. 

A lot of great coaches in different sports aren't good with the media. I'm not concerned at all one way or another. As long as he can communicate to the players, that's all I care about.

13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Fully agree.  I noticed the same thing myself.

13 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

A lot of great coaches in different sports aren't good with the media. I'm not concerned at all one way or another. As long as he can communicate to the players, that's all I care about.

Oh I'm not concerned about his coaching ability based on his answers. More just selfishly hoping for a little more from his interviews and stuff for my own enjoyment. 

It's early to talk this stuff (I really want to make a 2022 draft thread but I thought I'd better wait until we've played some regular season basketball first) but there are potentially 7 or 8 guys who with a great season could be in contention for the 2022 #1 overall pick and at least 4 of them are bigs (Banchero, Duren, Holmgren, Nzosa). For a team like us who suddenly have a lot of guards and forwards, could potentially go into next summer with zero commitments at C, and will probably be a high lottery team next season this is a pretty perfect scenario.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's early to talk this stuff (I really want to make a 2022 draft thread but I thought I'd better wait until we've played some regular season basketball first) but there are potentially 7 or 8 guys who with a great season could be in contention for the 2022 #1 overall pick and at least 4 of them are bigs (Banchero, Duren, Holmgren, Nzosa). For a team like us who suddenly have a lot of guards and forwards, could potentially go into next summer with zero commitments at C, and will probably be a high lottery team next season this is a pretty perfect scenario.

It's ok, we are not done but finally moving in the right direction. Our drafting in the last 20 years is a big reason for our problems. Now we are turning it around, and next years draft could be the one we look at as the biggest piece. First get quality players, not busts. Then one turns into a star, finally fill in the gaps or bring in another star through free agency. It's all on the table now that we have actually embraced what we were. Just have to resist overpaying mediocre players while figuring it out. Keep the best, get rid of the rest.

• Upvote 1

Challenging Cole to be better defensively is one thing. Cole should be our leading scorer this season, barring a big breakout by someone else. The coach should scheme for him to score points and use others to limit his defensive liabilities. I don't like that quote, when he fails at something he shouldn't be burdened with i hope the coach doesn't call him out. A good team, a good coach knows what his team should be and how best to use them. If i hear dumb coach speak after a game when a big guard roasts Cole i'm going to be disappointed. That would be a mistake. Get this kid some confidence and help him be a scorer. We need one, figure out the rest later. 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:15 AM, hootie249 said:

Challenging Cole to be better defensively is one thing. Cole should be our leading scorer this season, barring a big breakout by someone else. The coach should scheme for him to score points and use others to limit his defensive liabilities. I don't like that quote, when he fails at something he shouldn't be burdened with i hope the coach doesn't call him out. A good team, a good coach knows what his team should be and how best to use them. If i hear dumb coach speak after a game when a big guard roasts Cole i'm going to be disappointed. That would be a mistake. Get this kid some confidence and help him be a scorer. We need one, figure out the rest later. 

Everyone should play defense. Letting a second year player off the hook on defense because you want him to be a big scorer (something he hasn't really proven he can do consistently and efficiently) isn't holding guys accountable and doesn't send the right message. 

• Upvote 1