jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I'm just saying...there was a lot of nay-sayers about the FO in the past few months. Those comments seem to be quieter now.

To quote the legendary Joel Embiid... "trust the process" 

Like others have said, summer is the season of hope. Easy to be quieter when there aren't losses or other problems.

My opinion on the FO hasn't honestly changed that much. They evaluated for a lot of time without chosing a path. They traded the players of that group that wasn't really going nowhere wayyyyy too late, receiving an average package in exchange. They really haven't made nothing spectacular, or at least active, in that FA. No trades, chosed the obvious guy at N5, another good prospect at N8, and then traded the second round pick as always.

Nothing suggest me they're suddenly great... the only "bold" move was the choice of the coach, I feel could be a good one, but there's a long way to go even there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, matthi32 said:

Ross won‘t help us in the future. He is not on the same timeline as our other players. Why not trade him for a player who has a lot of potential? If he can‘t improve as a shooter, we let him go after his cheap rookie-contract. But if he can improve his shoot (what I belive), we got another great player. For me that is a low risk move who could work out in the future!

I agree that Ross won't help us much in the future, and that he isn't on the same timeline; but I'm not sure Thybulle has the offensive potential to make him worth the trade. I think Ross is worth more, especially at the trade deadline, or next year as an expiring contract. That's just my opinion - and you know what they say about opinions. They are like a--holes, everybody has one, and most of them stink! LOL!

57 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Like others have said, summer is the season of hope. Easy to be quieter when there aren't losses or other problems.

My opinion on the FO hasn't honestly changed that much. They evaluated for a lot of time without chosing a path. They traded the players of that group that wasn't really going nowhere wayyyyy too late, receiving an average package in exchange. They really haven't made nothing spectacular, or at least active, in that FA. No trades, chosed the obvious guy at N5, another good prospect at N8, and then traded the second round pick as always.

Nothing suggest me they're suddenly great... the only "bold" move was the choice of the coach, I feel could be a good one, but there's a long way to go even there.

I'm torn with this - on one hand I agree that it took way to long for them to choose the rebuild path we are now on.

On the other hand, they may have been forced to let it ride in order to get any kind of value out of the Vucevic, Fournier, Gordon trio in trades; and I would have to say the return on Fournier was pathetic. I can't actually believe that we couldn't have done better trading him directly to the Knicks at the deadline, considering how much they apparently value him now! I have been pleasantly surprised at the growth of Hampton, and WCJ after the trade, and am pleased with the F. Wagner pick. We are still in a bit of a cap crunch, but with the not-so-big three's and Porter's salaries gone, we're in better shape than we would have been from the financial standpoint as well. Before the trades, I would have given them a "D-", afterwards it moved up to a "C" based on the returns and the M. Wagner, I. Brazdeikas, and even the Randle signing. I don't rank Randle real high, but having to find a third replacement PG due to injury that late in the season, I think they did reasonably well. (I really was hoping for Jeremy Lin.)  Now, I am leaning more towards a "B-" or possibly a "B".  

3 hours ago, matthi32 said:

Ross won‘t help us in the future. He is not on the same timeline as our other players. Why not trade him for a player who has a lot of potential? If he can‘t improve as a shooter, we let him go after his cheap rookie-contract. But if he can improve his shoot (what I belive), we got another great player. For me that is a low risk move who could work out in the future!

The good thing about Ross is when he gets hot he is capable of keeping us in games that would otherwise be blowouts. That will give our young guys opportunities to grow and experience crunch time. It will also give us the opportunity to see who is capable of stepping up when the game is on the line. Suggs really impressed me in the finals game in a losing cause. He played his ass off and showed signs that he is a winner even though his team lost.

One thing interesting to me is that if Fultz and Isaac come back full speed and rolling, without the Euro guys dominating the ball (no disrespect meant, they were our best offensive options at the time), we could end up in an interestingly good cap situation in a couple years. Fultz and Isaac being underpaid because of injury issues is one of those situations that make creating a great team possible, if the right moves are made to develop that. There's a world where this team is solid despite the youth because Fultz/Isaac/Carter/Ross are above average players who complement each other, and we use our glut of young prospects to trade for a star. There's a world where those guys' reasonable contracts allow us to just develop and re-sign all our younger guys and we develop naturally as a team into something very interesting. There's also, sadly, a world where neither or only one of those guys comes back at close to their potential and we're stuck with an albatross contract or two; but even then, those contracts aren't that bad or that long. I like the flexibility this front office is working with.

Seems like the Jake Fischer reports were like 80% correct. No Kaleb Canales and no Becky Bonner move to the permanent coaching staff.

John Hollinger has us as one of the top teams to watch for a trade. Says he expects we'll be looking to turn the Fournier TPE into a first round pick. 

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

John Hollinger has us as one of the top teams to watch for a trade. Says he expects we'll be looking to turn the Fournier TPE into a first round pick. 

Yep, means Bacon will not be picked up and we likely roll with a roster of 14 plus the two ways.

Can see them using Brazdeikis as third string 3 on a two way to essentially fill that last spot but still keep it open for the tpe.

9 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yep, means Bacon will not be picked up and we likely roll with a roster of 14 plus the two ways.

Can see them using Brazdeikis as third string 3 on a two way to essentially fill that last spot but still keep it open for the tpe.

Yea my predictions for the 2 ways are Brazdeikis and Amar Sylla. 

Brazdeikis gives you solid wing cover. Sylla as a swing at upside. He's 6'9, long and athletic and only really been playing competitive basketball for the past 4ish years. 

But I guess we'll see who impresses on the SL roster because I imagine that's why we've waited, to actually get a look at some of the guys we're bringing in before we make any decisions.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cole is playing. I can't see anything on that link that says he isn't. 

Read it wrong. Says bamba wont play.