jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Surely worth, thanks a lot, gave me more info about the player, possibly more realistic than our high expectations right now.

In the end, we haven't searched for those offensive player we lacked, but both rookies seems possibly good in a team environment, with good passing and defense too. Hope in a good job from the new coach, he'll have a lot to work on with that young group.

24 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Surely worth, thanks a lot, gave me more info about the player, possibly more realistic than our high expectations right now.

In the end, we haven't searched for those offensive player we lacked, but both rookies seems possibly good in a team environment, with good passing and defense too. Hope in a good job from the new coach, he'll have a lot to work on with that young group.

Yea it's a more realistic assessment of Suggs' current ability and likely best role in the NBA. Jackson Frank is one of the best NBA writers out there for me.

I do think it doesn't necessarily consider the possibility that Suggs improves in his areas of weakness. It's very much 'he has these weaknesses which means he won't really be able to do X, Y and Z' which is possibly fair but also might be a little pessimistic? Like Suggs handle is one of his weaknesses and I doubt he'll ever be Allen Iverson in that regard but if he adds more ball security and more functionality to his handle that surely opens up more potential for him? 

I also think something that possibly should be considered is that Suggs' ideal usage doesn't necessarily align with what's currently best for his development. Like yea obviously in an ideal world we'd want a lot of actions to get Suggs exploding down hill with his strength and we'd want to emphasis him running in transition. But maybe having him 4 out flat pick and roll a lot this year might develop his handle and pull-up shooting more quickly which is better for us long term even if it has below average results this season. 

• Like 1

That's why I always consider that the unknown x-factor for us is also one of the most important factors to decide the future of a rookie: how big a competitor is that guy? How much time he'll spend on gym and training facilities to improve? how serious about being a great player?

That's something we can't check with highlights and games... FO and scouts surely has more info on that, but still, you need to be smart to choose the right guys that fit a long term plan.

I'm just saying...there was a lot of nay-sayers about the FO in the past few months. Those comments seem to be quieter now.

To quote the legendary Joel Embiid... "trust the process" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I'm just saying...there was a lot of nay-sayers about the FO in the past few months. Those comments seem to be quieter now.

You’re right! I was one of those that questioned this FO with how stagnant they’ve been by evaluating this team for so long and not being able to see that a core of Vuc, Fournier, and Gordon is not a team that can get it done. Not gonna lie would have loved seeing Gordon with this new coaching staff and teammates but that’s water under the bridge now. I secretly love RJ’s potential if he can hit a reliable jumper whether it be mid range or 3. I like all of our other pieces and their varying degrees of potential as well but mentioned him specifically because he came with the AG trade. With that being said I’m pleasantly surprised with the 180 this FO has done and have loved the moves they’ve made this off-season. We have a bright future ahead of us and hope we continue to make smart calculated moves so we can make it out of the first round of the playoffs and beyond. This city deserves it and it’s our time to take it. Let’s Go!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

It’s seasonal.  Right now it’s Summer, and as always, hope springs eternal.  There are new players, even more than usual this year, a new coach, and everyone is just oozing potential.  

A few months from now, if we start off 10-30 for example which is a distinct possibility, the calls to start tanking for the next great hope will start, and comments regarding the front office may be less enthusiastic. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s seasonal.  Right now it’s Summer, and as always, hope springs eternal.  There are new players, even more than usual this year, a new coach, and everyone is just oozing potential.  

A few months from now, if we start off 10-30 for example which is a distinct possibility, the calls to start tanking for the next great hope will start, and comments regarding the front office may be less enthusiastic. 

Nobody should expect this team to win a lot of games next year.

If we start 10-30 there'll literally be no reason to tank we'll be on course to be a 21 win team. And that's if we don't trade vets at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

You’re right! I was one of those that questioned this FO with how stagnant they’ve been by evaluating this team for so long and not being able to see that a core of Vuc, Fournier, and Gordon is not a team that can get it done. Not gonna lie would have loved seeing Gordon with this new coaching staff and teammates but that’s water under the bridge now. I secretly love RJ’s potential if he can hit a reliable jumper whether it be mid range or 3. I like all of our other pieces and their varying degrees of potential as well but mentioned him specifically because he came with the AG trade. With that being said I’m pleasantly surprised with the 180 this FO has done and have loved the moves they’ve made this off-season. We have a bright future ahead of us and hope we continue to make smart calculated moves so we can make it out of the first round of the playoffs and beyond. This city deserves it and it’s our time to take it. Let’s Go!

I love the potential of all of our players more then at any time since Dwight left. Plus i love our cap sheet. I feel like half the league just screwed themselves. Then i looked online and some people confirmed what i thought. These teams gave way to much money to old players. As a by product of going full youth we had no reason to waste money on them. I believe we chose the best time to get out of mediocrity. We might suffer a bit next year but i honestly believe we could be running some of these older teams off the floor as soon as 2023. Not all of them, and not at a contender level, but as a competent team.

Emphasis on the team part. Half of the teams ahead of us will be wishing they had youth and cap room. 

3 hours ago, matthi32 said:

In theory, I like Thybulle as a player. He is an amazing defender and plays hard all the time. In practice, this is an awful trade - in essence you are giving up one of our best offensive players (Ross) for a guy who can't put the ball in the basket. Dude is a 56% free throw shooter! With the offensive deficiencies this team already has, you want to trade Ross for Thybulle? That would be a huge no!

19 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

In theory, I like Thybulle as a player. He is an amazing defender and plays hard all the time. In practice, this is an awful trade - in essence you are giving up one of our best offensive players (Ross) for a guy who can't put the ball in the basket. Dude is a 56% free throw shooter! With the offensive deficiencies this team already has, you want to trade Ross for Thybulle? That would be a huge no!

Ross won‘t help us in the future. He is not on the same timeline as our other players. Why not trade him for a player who has a lot of potential? If he can‘t improve as a shooter, we let him go after his cheap rookie-contract. But if he can improve his shoot (what I belive), we got another great player. For me that is a low risk move who could work out in the future!