jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

If this is true, might as well trade Bamba now

Bit surprised by this. I'd rather wait and see and end up paying more if he has a great year than doing an extension now. 

4 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

If this is true, might as well trade Bamba now

Not necessarily. I think whether or not we re-sign Bamba may be based on what kind of offers he gets. Does anyone really think some other organization is going to offer Bamba a lot of money as a RFA? Why? Unless he shows something big, in which case that's a decision to make, but one we have the future cap flexibility to do. If Bamba somehow blows up, sign him and it shouldn't be hard to trade Carter's contract. If he doesn't blow up, but looks like he's making some progress or at least will be a decent backup, he shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to keep, considering the money we have after this season. If he's garbage, don't re-sign him. His QO for next season would be like $10 million, not a ton for a good backup C. No one's giving up much for him right now on the trade market, because they'd be in the same boat we're in. Why do that? He's still worth more to us than he is to anyone else.

14 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Pacers might need to move Jeremy Lamb to stay under the tax if they keep McDermott and McConnell. He could be a TPE candidate.

Definitely take Lamb

I'm not sure I believe the WCJ report, but we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

IMO from just 3 months of seeing Carter play the extension is the right move. We have a very promising core moving forward with or without Bamba. It would be wonderful if Bamba all the sudden "gets it" and we have 2 very serviceable centers, but if not we can grab a decent backup somewhere. We should definitely not extend him until we see some major signs of improvement. I'm wondering if Mosely working with Bamba right out the gate was the FO asking him for an evaluation before deciding on this extension?