jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Man that team is young.

The craziest thing is that the only players I would be happy with us trading are the three oldest. Plus adding two maybe three rookies, the coaching staff better have it's developmental s**t together. Should be an interesting year, hoping for good health.

It has been longer than I thought since I updated the ages, almost all of them are a year older than I originally listed, and Okeke is now 22. But, with our two rookie picks, we will have 9 players who are 23 or under. 

Does anybody have access to ESPN+? 

If so, they recently posted an article about the 5 tiers of NBA cap Space. 

I’d be interested to see where they have the Magic ranked. Plus, I’d like to see their math for how much cap space we have available. 

37 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Does anybody have access to ESPN+? 

If so, they recently posted an article about the 5 tiers of NBA cap Space. 

I’d be interested to see where they have the Magic ranked. Plus, I’d like to see their math for how much cap space we have available. 

They have us in Tier 2: The Mid-level Exception Club. Teams who are not in a position to have cap space but have plenty of room under the tax to use the MLE. 

They don't state a cap space figure but I actually thought we had a little space. In fact jmmagicfan posted a breakdown which comes out about $7M cap space which seems right. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

They have us in Tier 2: The Mid-level Exception Club. Teams who are not in a position to have cap space but have plenty of room under the tax to use the MLE. 

They don't state a cap space figure but I actually thought we had a little space. In fact jmmagicfan posted a breakdown which comes out about $7M cap space which seems right. 

Thanks for sharing!! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't have ESPN+, but they may be basing their figure on the fact that we have a group of "cap holds" for our free agents. If you include the existing contracts that are already guaranteed (we have 10), and the cap holds for just our first round picks, that puts us at the $105M figure I showed earlier, or about $7M under the cap with 12 players.

I am sure that they have included the cap holds for Bacon ($1.8M not yet guaranteed), and/or some of the free agents on our roster at season end - Porter ($33.7M), Ennis ($6.3M), M Wagner ($2.0M), Brazdeikis ($1.7M), Thornwell ($1.7M), and Randle ($1.5). Adding them all in would put us at about $154.9M, which we obviously are not going to do, as it would put us $19M over the tax line, nor would we have room on our roster to do that.  But as I said previously, guaranteeing Bacon (I wouldn't), and/or resigning a couple of our existing players would probably put us over the cap - which would mean that our maximum free agent signing could only be the MLE. I think that is why they figure us as part of the Mid-level Exception Club. 

Signing Porter to his cap hold/maximum would actually put us into the tax. I doubt that Porter will get that from anyone, certainly not from us. I would hate to see him walk away without us getting an asset or two in return, but I don't particularly want us to keep him. 

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

I don't have ESPN+, but they may be basing their figure on the fact that we have a group of "cap holds" for our free agents. If you include the existing contracts that are already guaranteed (we have 10), and the cap holds for just our first round picks, that puts us at the $105M figure I showed earlier, or about $7M under the cap with 12 players.

I am sure that they have included the cap holds for Bacon ($1.8M not yet guaranteed), and/or some of the free agents on our roster at season end - Porter ($33.7M), Ennis ($6.3M), M Wagner ($2.0M), Brazdeikis ($1.7M), Thornwell ($1.7M), and Randle ($1.5). Adding them all in would put us at about $154.9M, which we obviously are not going to do, as it would put us $19M over the tax line, nor would we have room on our roster to do that.  But as I said previously, guaranteeing Bacon (I wouldn't), and/or resigning a couple of our existing players would probably put us over the cap - which would mean that our maximum free agent signing could only be the MLE. I think that is why they figure us as part of the Mid-level Exception Club. 

Signing Porter to his cap hold/maximum would actually put us into the tax. I doubt that Porter will get that from anyone, certainly not from us. I would hate to see him walk away without us getting an asset or two in return, but I don't particularly want us to keep him. 

It might just be that having less than 9m in cap room is functionally very similar to being an MLE team. We can still only offer a free agent the MLE or less. 

On 7/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, jmmagicfan said:

So, just a quick review - we do NOT have a lot of cap space to actually work with this summer for free agency. Not counting Bacon, who is not guaranteed until Aug 9th, we currently have $105.3M in salary for 10 players under contract, and "cap holds" for the two, first round picks. The full list/salary are below. The cap is around $112.4M, leaving us about $7M to work with.

We do have some other paths to get us some larger options. Resigning any of our own free agents might bring us right up to or over the cap, which means the maximum we would then have to work with would be the Mid-level Exception of about $9.5M.

We could do a trade and bring in salary above the cap by using the Trade Exception we got for Fournier, worth up to $17.5M. This might be useful if someone else is trying to create additional cap space to chase a free agent, i.e. the Pelicans to chase Kyle Lowry. To use the TE on a free agent, we would have to work with their "old" team to do a sign and trade, where they do the contract and immediately trade him to us for the TE. I think that is an option.  I believe we could also do a sign and trade where we resign Otto Porter, Jr. and immediately trade him for other players/pieces.  The list below is the player (age), current jersey #, roster count, 2021-22 salary/cap hold. 

Player  Plyr #    
Gary Harris (26) 14 1 $20,482,143
Jonathan Isaac (22) 1 2 $17,400,000
Markelle Fultz (22) 20 3 $16,500,000
Terrence Ross (29) 31 4 $12,500,000
Mohamed Bamba (22) 5 5 $7,568,743
Wendell Carter, Jr. (21) 34 6 $6,920,027
Cole Anthony (20) 50 7        $3,449,400
Michael Carter-Williams(28) 7 8 $3,300,000
Chuma Okeke (20) 3 9 $3,277,080
RJ Hampton (20) 13 10 $2,303,040
Rookie Pick #5   11 $6,593,040
Rookie Pick #8   12 $5,007,840

So, just for an example, if we resigned Ennis and Wagner for a combined $7.1M, which puts us at the cap, and gives us 14 players on the roster, our options for adding a 15th player would be one of the following:

Mid-level exception - $9.5M, or

Bi-Annual exception - $3.7M, or

Veteran Minimum, or

A trade using one of our trade exception - Fournier $17.1M, Aminu $4.27M, or Clark $2.1M (can not be combined)

How do we not have cap space?

I thought one of the major points of the Vuc trade was to clear out salary via Otto Porter's expiring contract?

25 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

I thought one of the major points of the Vuc trade was to clear out salary via Otto Porter's expiring contract?

It's future cap space. Next summer we'll have max room if we want it. 

EDIT: if we trade Harris or Ross for long-term contracts that obviously changes.

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

Because Fultz and Issacs contract extensions kicked in an we will have to pay two top ten picks.

Had to edit getting rid of Aminu was a big deal in that trade. 

This might be a stretch but I wonder if Boston would do Bacon for Edwards + #45. 

Boston is really working with limited resources cap wise and Bacon is non guaranteed versus the fully guaranteed Edwards. 

Could be part of a bigger deal Thompson + Edwards + future 1st for the TPE + Bacon.