jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

EDIT: Both trades I previously thought of didn't make a bunch of sense but there still might be the opportunity to get assets from the Pels since they'll need to clear space for Lowry by moving Adams and/or Bledsoe.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, CTMagicUK said:

EDIT: Both trades I previously thought of didn't make a bunch of sense but there still might be the opportunity to get assets from the Pels since they'll need to clear space for Lowry by moving Adams and/or Bledsoe.

How about this trade?

tradenba-snap-1626885664876.thumb.png.c89254b954073461a822f1644c09f0e2.png

So, just a quick review - we do NOT have a lot of cap space to actually work with this summer for free agency. Not counting Bacon, who is not guaranteed until Aug 9th, we currently have $105.3M in salary for 10 players under contract, and "cap holds" for the two, first round picks. The full list/salary are below. The cap is around $112.4M, leaving us about $7M to work with.

We do have some other paths to get us some larger options. Resigning any of our own free agents might bring us right up to or over the cap, which means the maximum we would then have to work with would be the Mid-level Exception of about $9.5M.

We could do a trade and bring in salary above the cap by using the Trade Exception we got for Fournier, worth up to $17.5M. This might be useful if someone else is trying to create additional cap space to chase a free agent, i.e. the Pelicans to chase Kyle Lowry. To use the TE on a free agent, we would have to work with their "old" team to do a sign and trade, where they do the contract and immediately trade him to us for the TE. I think that is an option.  I believe we could also do a sign and trade where we resign Otto Porter, Jr. and immediately trade him for other players/pieces.  The list below is the player (age), current jersey #, roster count, 2021-22 salary/cap hold. 

Player  Plyr #    
Gary Harris (26) 14 1 $20,482,143
Jonathan Isaac (22) 1 2 $17,400,000
Markelle Fultz (22) 20 3 $16,500,000
Terrence Ross (29) 31 4 $12,500,000
Mohamed Bamba (22) 5 5 $7,568,743
Wendell Carter, Jr. (21) 34 6 $6,920,027
Cole Anthony (20) 50 7        $3,449,400
Michael Carter-Williams(28) 7 8 $3,300,000
Chuma Okeke (20) 3 9 $3,277,080
RJ Hampton (20) 13 10 $2,303,040
Rookie Pick #5   11 $6,593,040
Rookie Pick #8   12 $5,007,840

So, just for an example, if we resigned Ennis and Wagner for a combined $7.1M, which puts us at the cap, and gives us 14 players on the roster, our options for adding a 15th player would be one of the following:

Mid-level exception - $9.5M, or

Bi-Annual exception - $3.7M, or

Veteran Minimum, or

A trade using one of our trade exception - Fournier $17.1M, Aminu $4.27M, or Clark $2.1M (can not be combined)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Couple of cliff notes from the Matt Lloyd podcast:

Thinks this draft is going to be wild.

Confirmed that we've hired Nate Tibbets as an assistant.

Says he doesn't know how tall RJ Hampton is but he's definitely taller and he's shooting the ball really well. 

Markelle is no longer wearing a knee brace

Thinks we're going to see a different version of both Isaac and Fultz (he said it in an excited way not a "they're not going to be as good" way)

Also here's a funny tidbit given our history (Hennigan): we no longer use a whiteboard for the draft board it's all on computers now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thinks we're going to see a different version of both Isaac and Fultz (he said it in an excited way not a "they're not going to be as good" way)

Also here's a funny tidbit given our history (Hennigan): we no longer use a whiteboard for the draft board it's all on computers now. 

Year 2021, WELCOME! :P

Also, don't know how to take those expectations on Fultz and Isaac... I mean, they're recovering from serious injuries, it's hard to predict they're going to be immediately better...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

So, just a quick review - we do NOT have a lot of cap space to actually work with this summer for free agency. Not counting Bacon, who is not guaranteed until Aug 9th, we currently have $105.3M in salary for 10 players under contract, and "cap holds" for the two, first round picks. The full list/salary are below. The cap is around $112.4M, leaving us about $7M to work with.

We do have some other paths to get us some larger options. Resigning any of our own free agents might bring us right up to or over the cap, which means the maximum we would then have to work with would be the Mid-level Exception of about $9.5M.

We could do a trade and bring in salary above the cap by using the Trade Exception we got for Fournier, worth up to $17.5M. This might be useful if someone else is trying to create additional cap space to chase a free agent, i.e. the Pelicans to chase Kyle Lowry. To use the TE on a free agent, we would have to work with their "old" team to do a sign and trade, where they do the contract and immediately trade him to us for the TE. I think that is an option.  I believe we could also do a sign and trade where we resign Otto Porter, Jr. and immediately trade him for other players/pieces.  The list below is the player (age), current jersey #, roster count, 2021-22 salary/cap hold. 

Player  Plyr #    

So, just for an example, if we resigned Ennis and Wagner for a combined $7.1M, which puts us at the cap, and gives us 14 players on the roster, our options for adding a 15th player would be one of the following:

Veteran Minimum, or

A trade using one of our trade exception - Fournier $17.1M, Aminu $4.27M, or Clark $2.1M (can not be combined)

We really need a vet ball handler. My personal choice is TJ McConnell who is an unrestricted free agent or trade for Delon Wright who still has one year left in Sacramento.

As you all know we have a glut of guards, however it would be really easy to drop Bacon and trade McW. I love McW's hustle but he is not a point guard, send him to a playoff team who needs a cheap defensive player. During our last rebuild all of our veteran point guards were hurt or really awful. This meant almost immediately we had to rely on Elfrid and Oladipo as floor leaders. That lead to disaster. We can't go into this year with a second year Cole as our only real point guard. Who knows how long Fultz will be out and he also has very little experience. 

15 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Player  Plyr #    

Veteran Minimum, or

Man that team is young.

The craziest thing is that the only players I would be happy with us trading are the three oldest. Plus adding two maybe three rookies, the coaching staff better have it's developmental s**t together. Should be an interesting year, hoping for good health.

22 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Man that team is young.

The craziest thing is that the only players I would be happy with us trading are the three oldest. Plus adding two maybe three rookies, the coaching staff better have it's developmental s**t together. Should be an interesting year, hoping for good health.

Part of why I included the ages - we all sometimes lose track of just how young most of these guys are. Now some may be a year older, as I haven't updated the ages in a few months, but still. I like TRoss, when his role is better defined and he's not just green-lighted to  throw up any shot. I like MCW's hustle, and defense; but he is definitely not the guy you want in charge of your offense. I don't feel like we saw enough of a healthy Gary Harris to judge, but will we ever? Part of why I would consider bringing back Ennis, is his vet presence, his hustle/defense, and his ability to hit the 3. Add in he plays the forward positions and there aren't a lot of other alternatives in free agency. I think Mo Wagner played well for us, and is playing well for Germany going into the Olympics, so I would be okay bringing him back as well, but he is also young (24). I have always thought Otto Porter was over-rated, so add in his health issues and I am okay with him walking away, but if we can do a sign and trade to get other assets for him, that would be great. 

18 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Player  Plyr #    

Veteran Minimum, or

Great post, some work went into that, thank you.  

I look at that list and my first thought is “Yikes”

20 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Great post, some work went into that, thank you.  

I look at that list and my first thought is “Yikes”

Most of the info is readily available on Spotrac.com, and ESPN.com has the team roster/ages/jersey number, I just put it in a spreadsheet, and update as needed (trades/drafts). I just put it in one place as it helps me reference at a glance.