jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Mosley would be the most “players coach” we’ve ever had and a complete 180 from Clifford. These dudes wanted freedom to work through mistakes? Here it is. 

Also, the most exciting part of Mosley is his relationship with Luka. If it somehow turns in to anything more than just a fun connection to be hopelessly optimistic about, this would obviously be an A+++++ hire

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I’m not sure I like the idea of freelance offense, depending on what it means.  I don’t want to see a lot of 1 on 1 and over dribbling and possibly forced shots.  I’d like to see more passing to get open looks.  

Yeah I’d like to know more specifically what that looks like. A team as young as ours will probably need some structure, but I’m liking what I hear about the guy so far. 

I'm excited about this hire. Mosley seems like the right kind of character to connect with a young roster. 

Plus it's never a bad thing that he has a pre-existing relationship with one of the best players on the planet. Like I know our chances to ever get Luka are very low but if this hire works out we'll have as good a chance as anyone if he leaves Dallas.

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I’m not sure I like the idea of freelance offense, depending on what it means.  I don’t want to see a lot of 1 on 1 and over dribbling and possibly forced shots.  I’d like to see more passing to get open looks.  

I actually agree. A freelance offense is fine when you have Luka but I think our young guys will need a bit of structure.

Also if you're tempted to compare this hire to Vaughn understand that Vaughn only had 4 years as an assistant when we hired him and wasnt even on the Spurs front bench. Mosley has been the defensive coordinator for a playoff team for several years and an assistant coach for like 14 years. 

Robbins in his piece for the Athletic also pointed out that Vaughn didn't hire any experienced assistants when he got here (he hired a lot of great coaches just none with a lot of experience) which might suggest that he thinks Mosley will look for some experience in his own assistants.

Also Robbins says to look out for the length of Mosley's deal as it might indicate the length of a contract extension for Weltman and Hammond (they only have 1 year left but sources say it's all but a foregone conclusion they'll both get extensions of some kind since it wouldn't make sense to let someone start a full rebuild and then let them go)

Lot of Dallas fans seemed to want Mosley as their next coach. It means nothing in terms of how he'll do here but it's still nice to see. 

Hope the official announcement is today.

So here's a real question: Why did the Mavs choose Jason Kidd over Mosley if Mosley had such a good relationship with Luka and showed he could win?