jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Mo Wagner had 28 points, 6 rebounds and 3 steals on 9/12 shooting and 3/6 shooting from 3 yesterday to lead Germany to a win over Brazil and gain qualification to the Olympics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Giddey does not make the Australian Olympic team. 

This isn't really surprising. They've got 7 NBA players on their roster and 6 of them are guards/wings. Plus coaches generally prefer more experienced players in these situations. 

He's one of 3 replacement options travelling with the team as they practice and play exhibitions in the run up to the Olympics though so he should still learn some things from practicing with Mills, Ingles etc. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

This isn't really surprising. They've got 7 NBA players on their roster and 6 of them are guards/wings. Plus coaches generally prefer more experienced players in these situations. 

He's one of 3 replacement options travelling with the team as they practice and play exhibitions in the run up to the Olympics though so he should still learn some things from practicing with Mills, Ingles etc. 

Would of been excellent to watch him play. 

13 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

interesting if its real 

We haven’t heard anything about Atkinson even interviewing so either they’ve done a great job of keeping it all hidden, or Atkinson told them “no thank you” early on.  I suspect we’ll have the next coach named sometime this week.  

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

We haven’t heard anything about Atkinson even interviewing so either they’ve done a great job of keeping it all hidden, or Atkinson told them “no thank you” early on.  I suspect we’ll have the next coach named sometime this week.  

I think the latter is a distinct possibility. He faced the same challenge in Brooklyn that he would here, only to succeed and still get fired when Durant came in and didn’t want to be coached by him. Orlando is certainly not the free agent draw that Brooklyn is, but I can imagine he doesn’t want to put himself in that position again

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I think the latter is a distinct possibility. He faced the same challenge in Brooklyn that he would here, only to succeed and still get fired when Durant came in and didn’t want to be coached by him. Orlando is certainly not the free agent draw that Brooklyn is, but I can imagine he doesn’t want to put himself in that position again

I agree.  Even if he’s not worried about being fired because we bring in a big time free agent (unlikely in my opinion), he as well as any other coaching candidate for our job has to be looking at potentially 60+ losses for the next few years, and likely continuing pressure to tank, which makes it nearly impossible to develop the team.   Wouldn’t think it would be appealing to those who might have other options.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

I agree.  Even if he’s not worried about being fired because we bring in a big time free agent (unlikely in my opinion), he as well as any other coaching candidate for our job has to be looking at potentially 60+ losses for the next few years, and likely continuing pressure to tank, which makes it nearly impossible to develop the team.   Wouldn’t think it would be appealing to those who might have other options.  

I think this is a valid concern. With that said, I think the other side of the coin is equally legitimate.  Meaning — there are only 30 NBA HC jobs with, generally, 2-5 openings each year (a couple more this year, admittedly). With that sort of scarcity, and no guarantee that the openings in the near future would be great jobs either — what if it’s Kings, Rockets, etc next year? — there is a case to be made that any job should be grabbed immediately in this league, if offered to you.

Word on the street was that Clifford was counting on the Indy or Milwaukee job. Now he’s in the unemployment line waiting for his next big break.

It is an interesting discussion. I can see validity on both sides. 

Edit: and you did qualify it with “those who might have other options”. That’s really the crux of the matter here, for sure. Some folks can likely safely wait, others should probably dive in. 

• Upvote 1