jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Nothing that didn't get revealed yesterday but still news of sorts.

Thanks for the post though 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davidmguevara said:

Unseld Jr. would be a horrible hire.

1.  Mosley

2.  Atkinson 

3.  Cassell

4.  Green 

Wasn’t Mosley the defensive guy for Dallas who had consistently bad defenses whereas Unseld was the defensive guy for Denver who had pretty good defenses with Jokic as a centerpiece?

What are we making our assessments based on here? 

Edit: for the record, I am not saying Unseld would be better than Mosley. I just don’t get how one could be a horrible hire while being better at the assigned task than the guy ranked #1.

8 hours ago, ML6 said:

Wasn’t Mosley the defensive guy for Dallas who had consistently bad defenses whereas Unseld was the defensive guy for Denver who had pretty good defenses with Jokic as a centerpiece?

Edit: for the record, I am not saying Unseld would be better than Mosley. I just don’t get how one could be a horrible hire while being better at the assigned task than the guy ranked #1.

Based on results alone Unseld has built the better defense especially considering he has Joker at C. 

The Dallas defense has been middling to below average but then they haven't had many defensive pieces either. Luka, small guards like Curry, Burke and Brunson. Non shot blocking bigs like Powell and Kleber. It's a tough ask to build a defense around guys like that. 

I think overall your point is right that we have no clue. People are literally seeing that Unseld was on Vaughn's staff and making their mind up. We don't really have any idea how good a person will be as a HC until he does the job for a stretch of time. 

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We don't really have any idea how good a person will be as a HC until he does the job for a stretch of time. 

It's equally important how good the staff they put together is!

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

So is the race pretty much down to Mosley vs Unseld? I haven’t seen any other names mentioned that got confirmed 2nd interviews

Mosley was only a first interview. Unseld is the only confirmed 2nd interview so far but I imagine there are names we haven't heard.

Hmm, these guys. or the last guy. First to spend money on a ****ty free agent, last to find a coach. 

Truth be told we need to have the right coach this time, which is Atkinson. 

We should  have a pool or something, I predict they announce who the Coach is on Tuesday. Just in time to have a hurricane party!

It's odd.  People in the media are saying Atkinson is the leading candidate yet we don't even know if he's interviewed with the team?  What the hell's going on?

In other news, I haven't seen Clifford being mentioned for any of these open jobs.  Seems like the consensus around here is that he was the one that wanted to leave, wonder if he's starting to regret that now?

40 minutes ago, Bebop Meat Mop said:

It's odd.  People in the media are saying Atkinson is the leading candidate yet we don't even know if he's interviewed with the team?  What the hell's going on?

In other news, I haven't seen Clifford being mentioned for any of these open jobs.  Seems like the consensus around here is that he was the one that wanted to leave, wonder if he's starting to regret that now?

I imagine he thought he had a shot at some of the openings, Indiana in particular but then Carlisle became available.

I heard from within right now Unseld jr is currently in the lead. Maybe Atkinson will come in and win over the organization, but for now he said it was Unseld.

Mo Wagner had 28 points, 6 rebounds and 3 steals on 9/12 shooting and 3/6 shooting from 3 yesterday to lead Germany to a win over Brazil and gain qualification to the Olympics.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, ML6 said:

I appreciate that stance. 

My initial thought is Atkinson would be best choice. 

The reason think Mosley should be first choice is, honestly, his connection to USA basketball.  The connection might give us connections in FA down the line and if Pop sees him worthy to be part of his coaching staff then I’m bought in.

As far as Unseld is concerned, I don’t see how you would bring back any part of Vaughns coaching staff—if he was a developer of talent and leader then we wouldn’t have been as god awful with the talent that roster (looking back) had.