jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Jacque Vaughn 2.0

There is 0 way to have any feel for this whatsoever.  And no, being on Vaughn’s staff once upon a time does not offer any insight.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion Atkinson is the best option available. However with no news of interviews with him being announced. I feel he may not want to come to Orlando. My prediction is if the team does not get Atkinson,  then the next Coach will last 3 yrs at most and we will be back to where we started.

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

There is 0 way to have any feel for this whatsoever.  And no, being on Vaughn’s staff once upon a time does not offer any insight.

Yup. This.

In terms of what we're looking for Unseld actually ticks a lot of boxes. 

He's had a background in player development.

He's been in charge of Denver's defense for the past couple of seasons which, while not spectacular has been good to say they are built around a Center who doesn't really protect the perimeter or the rim at a high level. (I know some people want a more offensive minded coach but I think this front office seems to want to hang their hat on playing tough D so this is more a box ticked for them than the fans)

And his experience on Vaughn's staff might actually be a positive. He was here the first time. He saw what didn't work and I'm sure he has clear ideas about what he'd have done differently had he been in charge. 

The only thing he doesn't have that's been consistently reported we're looking for is head coaching experience. So we'll see I guess.

I'd still prefer Atkinson but it's unclear if he'd even be interested in another rebuilding job and I'm prepared to give Unseld, or any other first time head coach, a chance. 

4 hours ago, 45degree said:

I really want Kenny Atkinson as our next HC. That nets team was trying to win every game they played, I want that type of mentality in Orlando as well. If not him, someone that fits this mindset.

Amen brother.  I don’t believe in “meaningless “ NBA games.  Every game is an opportunity to develop your team in the right way, or the wrong way.  

1 hour ago, Extential said:

In my opinion Atkinson is the best option available. However with no news of interviews with him being announced. I feel he may not want to come to Orlando. My prediction is if the team does not get Atkinson,  then the next Coach will last 3 yrs at most and we will be back to where we started.

Good chance that will happen no matter who the coach is.  

4 hours ago, ML6 said:

Admittedly this opinion is based on nothing but my opinion that the pool of potential coaches is lackluster, but even then there is really no way of knowing how good a coach will be, especially from the outside. Even the assistants we hear about who are talked up as future head coaches aren’t always (or even usually)  good.

i wanted Udoka because of his long playing career, and his history on the bench of very good teams as an assistant. These aren’t necessarily signifiers of a good future head coach, but they aren’t nothing. Unseld never played in the league and most of his coaching tenure has been spent in Washington, not a team one would call successful, and his failed time on the bench here, and in the end neither of those things could mean anything either.

In the end barring lucking into a star in the middle of the lottery, whoever we hire is bound to be fired anyway

21 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Someone may have posted this already but what are the wingspans of our coaching candidates?

Jamahl Mosley is 6'8 so I imagine he'd have the edge on wingspan.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jamahl Mosley is 6'8 so I imagine he'd have the edge on wingspan.

Thank you.  I believe this is who they will hire, although to be fair I don’t think Clifford had a great wingspan.  

• Upvote 1