jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

It would be amazing if Mo absolutely took off. It changes EVERYTHING 

Unfortunately working alone in an empty gym won't help him be better at playing defense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Unfortunately working alone in an empty gym won't help him be better at playing defense. 

He needs to just be smarter and give more effort. This story aint over just yet with Mo. This is the biggest summer of his life 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

He needs to just be smarter and give more effort. This story aint over just yet with Mo. This is the biggest summer of his life 

Oh 100%. I hope he's watching a lot of film to go with working out. He's got all the tools and he seems like an intelligent guy so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to be an impactful defender. It's a contract year for him and the first summer he's been 100% healthy so hes got a huge opportunity that he needs to grasp with both hands. 

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I think Penny's agent used the interview to try and gain some buzz and to pressure Memphis into giving him more of what he wanted. 

I agree with this. Didn't he also say that "in a few years, he'd love to go to the NBA but it isn't now." 

Doesn't that just tell the people at Memphis...you're just a stepping stone? lol

I'm super glad he's staying. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I agree with this. Didn't he also say that "in a few years, he'd love to go to the NBA but it isn't now." 

Doesn't that just tell the people at Memphis...you're just a stepping stone? lol

I'm super glad he's staying. 

It might be a negotiating tactic for the future. Like how for a while every couple of years John Calipari was 'considering NBA move' until he signed a fat new contract at Kentucky. 

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

It might be a negotiating tactic for the future. Like how every couple of years John Calipari 'is considering NBA move' until he signs a fat new contract at Kentucky. 

How dare you talk bad about Cal :)

But really, I agree he's just using the media hype to get him some more love in Memphis. I mean, they didn't have a bad season...won the NIT. So, maybe it was smart. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

How dare you talk bad about Cal :)

But really, I agree he's just using the media hype to get him some more love in Memphis. I mean, they didn't have a bad season...won the NIT. So, maybe it was smart. 

To be honest I think Penny probably will want to move to the NBA at some point but I personally think he's got a long way to go as a coach. 

His teams have been really good defensively at Memphis but they win in a way I really don't think is translatable to the NBA. They aggressively trap, pressure and deny the opposition best player and rely on having a length and athleticism advantage to plug the gaps in rotation. That's fine against Rutgers or someone who's got 1 NBA guy at most but imagine trying to trap LeBron or CP3 at half court. You're giving up a dunk or an open 3 9/10. 

13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Well not in some ways, but to the extent that defense relies on effort, and effort relies on conditioning, there might still be some connection.  With Mo it’s sometimes hard to tell if he’s reacting slowly due to lack of knowledge or due to lack of conditioning.  He usually seems low energy to me.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1