jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Yup. All of this. This news only benefits Penny and hurts the Magic if they go with any other candidate at this point from a PR Buzz standpoint. 

Yea I think we'll know one way or the other soon. If this isn't true then it's in Weltman''s interest to squash it quickly. If it is true then I have to imagine it's close to being done.

If you only go by Twitter over the last day or so, the Penny-to-Orlando thing is a done deal.

I don't know if I have reservations because he doesn't have a ton of experience yet or if it is the whole Magic nepotism thing that bothers me.

I think my feelings may be related to specific issues we know as Magic fans. Kind of like if we brought in a free agent on crutches. Or if we acquired another center in the draft. It is something that Magic fans would get iffy about, because of our past negative experiences.

If Penny is good at coaching guards, then he may be a great option for us. Between the guards we currently have on our roster and the ones we might draft, we need someone to get the most out of them. Most importantly, we need someone to inspire all of these young players while also instilling discipline and that nebulous "winning environment." Penny can probably do the inspiring part, but is he also capable of tactically winning games once this talent we have begins to flourish?

• Upvote 1

Jalen Duren, the #2 ranked prospect in 2022, visited Memphis last week. If Penny isn't getting the Magic job it's a hell of a thing to have a kid you've recruited visit and then almost immediately rumours swirling that you won't even be there to coach him. 

I wonder if there are pending NCAA charges that might affect Penny's decision to leave Memphis. They got into quite a mess over the Wiseman thing. 

There has to be some clarity on this soon because it affects more than just the Magic and Penny. 

Based on comments from Memphis folks on Twitter, ramifications for the Wiseman thing are still forthcoming. That surely must be a factor in Hardaway's thinking. It could be a messy separation, if it happens. Penny moves on, but Memphis still gets punished.

If Atkinson (and Hammond??) are still in the mix, I'm not sure what the hold up is anymore. Billups was hired by Portland while the Clips are still playing, so I don't know what is stopping a Magic/Atkinson deal, unless Atkinson is just not in the mix from the Magic's perspective. And really, with Weltham playing this so close to the vest, we don't know for sure if all the candidates that they have reportedly requested permission to interview - Willie Green, Charles Lee, Wes Unseld Jr. - have actually had their interviews yet.

The Magic FO is definitely being deliberate and careful with this...but yeah, Memphis would appreciate knowing if their head coach is leaving/staying sooner than later.

20 minutes ago, Live or Die Magic said:

Based on comments from Memphis folks on Twitter, ramifications for the Wiseman thing are still forthcoming. That surely must be a factor in Hardaway's thinking. It could be a messy separation, if it happens. Penny moves on, but Memphis still gets punished.

If Atkinson (and Hammond??) are still in the mix, I'm not sure what the hold up is anymore. Billups was hired by Portland while the Clips are still playing, so I don't know what is stopping a Magic/Atkinson deal, unless Atkinson is just not in the mix from the Magic's perspective. And really, with Weltham playing this so close to the vest, we don't know for sure if all the candidates that they have reportedly requested permission to interview - Willie Green, Charles Lee, Wes Unseld Jr. - have actually had their interviews yet.

The Magic FO is definitely being deliberate and careful with this...but yeah, Memphis would appreciate knowing if their head coach is leaving/staying sooner than later.

Agree on Atkinson. I had the same thought. His name has actually never been confirmed as interviewed either so maybe he's just not interested in coaching another rebuild. 

You guys are discussing something I was thinking about yesterday... would this FO ever "end" the search early when they know they have found their person?  Or are they always going to see every process through to the finish line no matter what?

For instance, Hammon is my preferred choice and she's completed two interviews here per reports.  My gut tells me that if she was the choice, they would get it over with and announce it.  My head, knowing this FO, thinks they might keep the process going until they have interviewed every single candidate they dreamed up at the start, even if they were blown away by any candidate -- that's just how they operate. 

36 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I mean... can we at least get a new shooting coach and training staff soon, too ;)?

Of course, Grant Hill will be the new head trainer and Nick Anderson will step down from his role as an ambassador to he the new shooting coach. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Of course, Grant Hill will be the new head trainer and Nick Anderson will step down from his role as an ambassador to he the new shooting coach. 

And Darrell Armstrong will be coming on as the new nutrition coach!