jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jeff Weltman got 2 2nd place and 1 3rd place vote for Executive of the Year. 

For doing what? Having the 3rd worse record in the league? Or do they think we did well in trading our poorly assembled core for protected 1st round draft picks?

2 hours ago, MagicMoses said:

For doing what? Having the 3rd worse record in the league? Or do they think we did well in trading our poorly assembled core for protected 1st round draft picks?

That's a very good question.  I guess the thought is that he set up the franchise for success going forward.  To say that remains to be seen is quite an understatement.  

• Upvote 1

More non-Magic (and ex-Magic) coaching news. 

I kind of think all this stuff is relevant until we hire our guy (or girl) since who other teams hire will impact who we can hire etc.

• Like 1

Anyone be interested in throwing the MLE or whatever for JJ Redick? He is still a surefire shooter, been mostly healthy his entire career except for 2013 and last year. 

Great veteran presence etc... Was seeing that the Mavs might not resign him in the offseason. Wants to be closer to his family in brooklyn -East coast ORL to BKY might be easier then Dallas to BKY.

47 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Anyone be interested in throwing the MLE or whatever for JJ Redick? He is still a surefire shooter, been mostly healthy his entire career except for 2013 and last year. 

Great veteran presence etc... Was seeing that the Mavs might not resign him in the offseason. Wants to be closer to his family in brooklyn -East coast ORL to BKY might be easier then Dallas to BKY.

I would co-sign depending on who we draft. Atm we are quite guard heavy

Redick is going to get a bunch of offers from championship contenders at the vet minimum. One of those teams will almost certainly be Brooklyn. Next season he'll be 37 with over $100m in career earnings in NBA salary alone and a guaranteed media career when he retires. Even if we did offer to over pay him to come back here (which I don't think we should do) I don't think the odds are likely that he'd accept it. 

On 6/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Jeff Weltman got 2 2nd place and 1 3rd place vote for Executive of the Year. 

Accolades a little early but if Fultz comes back 100% and we get #1 and #8 pick tonight he might win it next year going away!  Oh wait a minute we are the Orlando Magic, don't count on it.  lol.  Weltman and Presti in good positons for a future win.  Phoenix guy well deserved but I thought Atlanta guy and NY guy way too low.  Utah and Brooklyn 2nd and 3rd???????

Hoping for the best tonight.  I did a little research on the last two drafts (with the new system) and hope the odds work in our favor.  Both position 7 and 8 moved up in the previous two drafts.  NO threepeat tonight I hope so odds favor us to Chicago's pick.  3 went to 1 last year so we need a REPEAT. (do not like those odds).   Three teams outside of the top 4 moved into top 4 Year 1 and in year 2 two teams out of the top 4 moved into the top 4.  Hoping for that trend to continue and only one team out ot the top 4 moves into the top 4 tonight.  In looking at the last two years and trends, it is pure luck.  So far above results show Silver has created an entertainment lottery not a fair draft lottery.  It has not stopped tanking (OKC this year, maybe even us) and it has not rewarded bad teams with the best chance to rebuild.  If we drop tonight (50/50 chance) I hope the owners initiate talks to tweak this thing.

As well as the lottery tonight the combine started today and basically the entire league is in Chicago for it. I'd expect coaching positions start to get filled almost immediately after this week as teams will be meeting agents and coaches in between the prospect stuff.