jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

There are so many coaching jobs open with current all-stars on the roster: Dallas, Boston, Portland, New Orleans, and Washington. The landscape of the NBA is going to greatly shift this summer.

I'm sure I read somewhere that James Borrego is now like the 4th longest tenured coach in the league. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Sam Presti is addicted to draft picks. He'll probably get another first when he trades Kemba to the Knicks or where ever.

So the Cs had to give up their first, just barely outside of the lotto in a deep draft just to get out of the Kemba contract. Thank god we avoided the Kemba Walker experience here. He was great, but he’s got no knees left, reminds me of Brandon Roy - great one day gone overnight.

19 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

So the Cs had to give up their first, just barely outside of the lotto in a deep draft just to get out of the Kemba contract. Thank god we avoided the Kemba Walker experience here. He was great, but he’s got no knees left, reminds me of Brandon Roy - great one day gone overnight.

Over the next 2 years, Walker is owed $74M and Horford is owed $54M.  Boston essentially sold the 16th pick for $20M.

Potentially 7 draft picks this draft for the Thunder. At least 4 in the top 40, maybe 5. I imagine they'll try to trade up and consolidate picks but if I was an exec the price would be high considering the alternative for OKC is drafting 7 guys which I can't imagine would go well. 

53 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Not saying this justifies the trade but Moses Malone is going to be a sneaky pickup for them if he gets starters minutes. He was putting up pretty high rebounding numbers and decent points when given starters minutes with OKC down the stretch. He’s gonna be a nice addition to their lineup especially with Robert Williams III in the rotation as well. It will be a nice front court to compliment Tatum and Brown’s high usage on offense. It sure beats sticking with Kemba Walker that’s for sure. 

28 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Not saying this justifies the trade but Moses Malone is going to be a sneaky pickup for them if he gets starters minutes. He was putting up pretty high rebounding numbers and decent points when given starters minutes with OKC down the stretch. He’s gonna be a nice addition to their lineup especially with Robert Williams III in the rotation as well. It will be a nice front court to compliment Tatum and Brown’s high usage on offense. It sure beats sticking with Kemba Walker that’s for sure. 

Brave of them to trade for a 60 year old! And they thought Kemba's knees were bad.

(I know you mean Moses Brown) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Brave of them to trade for a 60 year old! And they thought Kemba's knees were bad.

(I know you mean Moses Brown) 

Blast from the past. You weren’t aware he was making a comeback?! Idk why I said Malone but I def meant Brown lol. I’m glad you’re awake this am just testing you guys haha. 

17 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Blast from the past. You weren’t aware he was making a comeback?! Idk why I said Malone but I def meant Brown lol. I’m glad you’re awake this am just testing you guys haha. 

Can they get Dr J and Maurice Cheeks in the deal as well??? 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Potentially 7 draft picks this draft for the Thunder. At least 4 in the top 40, maybe 5. I imagine they'll try to trade up and consolidate picks but if I was an exec the price would be high considering the alternative for OKC is drafting 7 guys which I can't imagine would go well. 

Yeah they reached serious diminishing returns a while ago.  Always a good idea for a small market to accumulate as many assets as possible, but savvy GMs in other front offices will call OKC's bluff here and raise the asking price like you said. 

28 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Yeah they reached serious diminishing returns a while ago.  Always a good idea for a small market to accumulate as many assets as possible, but savvy GMs in other front offices will call OKC's bluff here and raise the asking price like you said. 

Yea I think ideally you want your future picks spaced out rather than all clustered in 1 draft. Thinking about it more though they could probably do trades like #18 for future lotto protected 1st if they can't move up. It's less flashy but it defers the asset and stops the diminishing return problem. 

I think OKC also need to consider that SGA is extension eligible and, while they can obviously keep him as a RFA next summer if they don't agree an extension, he's not going to want to play with a team full of raw young guys for much longer when he's already so good.