jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Get ready for Magic fans shouting for this reunion.

Hahaha I liked Stan as a coach but I think he had his time here and would not return nor would we want to bring him back

5 hours ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Hahaha I liked Stan as a coach but I think he had his time here and would not return nor would we want to bring him back

Nah he said they let him come to work, go about his normal day, and waited till after he’d left to call him and tell him he was fired. There’s no chance he’s coming back lol. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

With the lotto being Tuesday, our next coach will almost certainly be hired after that date.

Makes sense. Not only does getting Cade make you more attractive but if you get Cade you might also slightly tweak your timelines of the rebuild and go for a coach a little more experienced playoff wise with the thinking that Cade + a healthy JI could be good enough to challenge for the playoffs sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

The coaching change in New Orleans is only a small part of the situation facing the Pelicans, according to Shams Charania, Joe Vardon and William Guillory of The Athletic. Sources tell the authors that some members of Zion Williamson‘s family are extremely critical of the organization and want to see him on another team.

Wednesday’s decision to part ways with head coach Stan Van Gundy after just one season was part of the effort to make Williamson happier. Charania, Vardon and Guillory cite a “growing unease” between Van Gundy and his players, as well as between the coach and the front office.

The Pelicans have missed the playoffs in each of Williamson’s first two NBA seasons, and numerous sources spoke about family members who would like to see him in a better situation. Williamson seemed to exhibit his own frustration at an end-of-season press conference.

“It’s disappointing. I’d be lying to you if I said anything else,” he said. “It’s very disappointing. But the best thing we can do is regroup, come together as a team, come together as coaches this offseason, talk and do what we need to do to be better next year. It’s not much to it, we just gotta be better.”

Even if Williamson does want to go elsewhere, getting there won’t be easy. He will be under team control for the next three seasons and will almost certainly be offered a rookie scale extension next summer. Even if he turns that down and opts for restricted free agency, the Pelicans will be able to match any offer he receives.

The team has already made changes to accommodate Williamson, the authors add, reworking its support staff during the offseason. Even so, family members have remained critical of the organization, with Van Gundy as a frequent target. The family saw Van Gundy as too “rigid and demanding” and believed the Pelicans didn’t treat Williamson like a typical NBA star.

maybe we should just have 10 teams in LA, 10 in NY, and 10 in Miami since no one wants to stay in a small market

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

maybe we should just have 10 teams in LA, 10 in NY, and 10 in Miami since no one wants to stay in a small market

Actually Miami loses out too, as Chicago is the third largest city in the US by population. 

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

With the lotto being Tuesday, our next coach will almost certainly be hired after that date.

Agree.  Always thought that was most likely given the short time frame from when Cliff decided to leave.  Barely have had time to interview more than a few.  And of course if we’re lucky in the draft it could make the post more desirable although that can work both ways if we aren’t lucky.  

7 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:
5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Actually Miami loses out too, as Chicago is the third largest city in the US by population

Unsure where small market teams fit in today's NBA,  besides being a farm team for bigger markets. Hopefully the NBA can do something to help restore competitive balance and restore the damage the "Lebron's" have done. I miss the NBA of the 80's and 90's.