jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

On 6/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, Natesroom said:

80% nostalgia, 20% he might actually be a good coach for these players.

I went here curious why anyone would want Penny and I just wanna say he's a awful coach. He rode the coattails of James Wiseman. Otherwise he'd still be in high school. His practice structure at one point was him and Mike Miller scrimmaging rather than teaching. 

"James Ennis, HoopsHype has learned, is looking for a three-year deal if he can but is open to a two-year deal. He wants to get some stability. He’s bounced around a little bit. Ideally, he’s looking for near the non-taxpayer to the taxpayer exception in that range coming off a year where he shot 43 percent from three."

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1512421/

Probably a nonsense rumour but it's slow news on the Magic front so thought I'd share.

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

"James Ennis, HoopsHype has learned, is looking for a three-year deal if he can but is open to a two-year deal. He wants to get some stability. He’s bounced around a little bit. Ideally, he’s looking for near the non-taxpayer to the taxpayer exception in that range coming off a year where he shot 43 percent from three."

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1512421/

Probably a nonsense rumour but it's slow news on the Magic front so thought I'd share.

I want to say he’s earned a team committing to him for 2-3 years, but man, he can’t stay on the floor and it’s only trending down.

Cliff seem a serious candidate to the coaching job in Indiana.... maybe it was really mutual in the end! :)

18 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Our FO has to do an A+ job picking the next coach. This is the coach that should lead the Magic to their 1st NBA trophy. The Magic should be one of the best teams the second half of this decade....from 2025 to 2029 and could win one or more championships. Go Magic !!!

Meanwhile, Orlando's search appears to be the most fluid, and a host of names continue to be rumored as candidates.

Momentum had seemed to stall for Jason Kidd after he was originally linked to Boston and Lillard went on record vouching for him in Portland, but the Lakers assistant's name has surfaced more and more in conversations about Orlando's opening. League sources have cited a connection to Magic general manager John Hammond, who hired Kidd to coach Milwaukee back in 2014.

Clippers assistant Kenny Atkinson has been the name most often connected to the Magic. The former Nets head coach was a finalist for the Pelicans' opening last offseason and still holds a reputation around the league for being a skilled player developer from his days leading Brooklyn back to the playoffs.

Or perhaps the Magic go with a first-time head coach like Udoka, who league sources have strongly linked to this opening as well. Although there is a belief that Udoka has a greater interest in joining Boston. 

Jarron Collins, one of three player development-leaning coaches dismissed as part of a shakeup with Golden State's staff, has already had conversations with Orlando too, sources said.

With an emphasis to hire a younger, player development-focused candidate, other assistants like Ham and Lee would also make plenty of sense with the Magic too. Choosing Sixers assistant Sam Cassell would be popular among Orlando's group of returning players, sources said.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944538-latest-nba-head-coaching-rumors-new-names-emerge-for-biggest-vacancies

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Good god I hope we don't hire Jason Kidd.

On the bright side, it may allow me to mercifully swear off this cursed franchise once and for all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Good god I hope we don't hire Jason Kidd. 

It’d be interesting to see what he could do developing our point guards. He’s not a top tier guy for me but I wouldn’t be upset.