jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm not sure it's creative to hire a guy who every Magic fan is screaming online to hire and who's a top 5 player in Magic history. If anything that feels obvious rather than creative. 

It would be creative to actually do that as that has not been their standard course of action in 40 years...

Just now, Natesroom said:

It would be creative to actually do that as that has not been their standard course of action in 40 years...

That's not really the standard course of action for any NBA team though. I can't think of one in recent memory who's hired an all time great player of theirs to be their coach.

I'm a big fan of Kenny Atkinson. Dude led U of Richmond to the sweet 16 back in the 80's, first of all. Beyond personal fan-dom, I like the guy's coaching style. He's studied under good basketball minds, offensive and defensive, and he's creative. I think Cole and Markelle would thrive under Atkinson, personally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

That's not really the standard course of action for any NBA team though. I can't think of one in recent memory who's hired an all time great player of theirs to be their coach.

Maybe they don’t represent their original teams, but Kerr and Nash are doing great as former great players now coaching teams. 

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Maybe they don’t represent their original teams, but Kerr and Nash are doing great as former great players now coaching teams. 

Neither of those guys took over rebuilding teams though.

And on the flip side is Jason Kidd who was a pretty bad head coach in both Brooklyn and Milwaukee. 

I'd like to see  D'Antoni go to Denver. I think they should fire Malone after they lose this series.

As far as the Magic, I think it'll come down to Hammon or Stackhouse.

16 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

I'd like to see  D'Antoni go to Denver. I think they should fire Malone after they lose this series.

As far as the Magic, I think it'll come down to Hammon or Stackhouse.

I doubt they fire Malone. He's not really done anything wrong, they're without their second best player and the Suns are an incredibly bad match up for them based on styles and roster construction. 

If they did fire Malone he'd be #1 on my wishlist for the Magic. 

"Clippers assistant Kenny Atkinson, Nets assistant Ime Udoka and Bucks assistant Darvin Ham are among the names to watch in the Magic’s search for a new coach, per Michael Scotto and Yossi Gozlan on a HoopsHype podcast."

https://hoopswire.com/kenny-atkinson-among-those-linked-to-magic-coaching-job

The source is terrible but it's a rumour non the less.