jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I just can't see why people would want Penny, besides nostalgia.  

80% nostalgia, 20% he might actually be a good coach for these players.

OMG, i was reading a thread on another forum and they had this link to a list of free agency in the infamous cap spike year, 2016. So many bad players signed to so much money. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/30/12052290/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2016-rumors

Probably 10 awful signings for every 1 decent signing. Just dozens of bad contracts, what a **** show. Obviously we are near the top of the worst but Portland,Lakers,Bulls,Mavericks,Rockets and Pelicans really stand out. Next time we have some cap room we better make it count.

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

So, Mike D’Antoni to the Magic is apparently a rumor

I can't see this personally. D'Antoni's record on teams without Steve Nash or James Harden isn't great at all. He's also 70 years old and presumably wants to try and win a championship at some point as a HC. Can't see how he'd be a good fit here. Unless we get Cade maybe.

Pretty sure D'antoni's agent just tossed Orlando in that rumor to signal to POR/BOS that he "has other options". Doubt he comes here and I agree that he seems like a poor fit.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, hootie249 said:

I just can't see why people would want Penny, besides nostalgia.  

For me it's two-fold: First, it would demonstrate a creative mindset, which this organization has often failed to embrace. Second, it would generate respect from players, both current and past, which again the organization has failed to understand. Is he the BEST option? Probably not. But I'm hoping we go with a more innovative coach versus someone who's bounced around. I especially think it's important to shift to a more guard/wing friendly offense.

32 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

For me it's two-fold: First, it would demonstrate a creative mindset, which this organization has often failed to embrace. Second, it would generate respect from players, both current and past, which again the organization has failed to understand. Is he the BEST option? Probably not. But I'm hoping we go with a more innovative coach versus someone who's bounced around. I especially think it's important to shift to a more guard/wing friendly offense.

I'm not sure it's creative to hire a guy who every Magic fan is screaming online to hire and who's a top 5 player in Magic history. If anything that feels obvious rather than creative.