jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The draft combine is the 21-27 of June, lottery is the 22nd. I think it’s important to have the new staff in place by the combine, personally.

That gives them very little time for such a big decision, though.  Barely 2 weeks to interview and hire a coach and his staff.  I’m not sure that’s possible.  And the other argument is that if by some chance we get a very high pick, it could possibly make the job more appealing, and in my opinion we need all the help we can get along those lines.  

2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That gives them very little time for such a big decision, though.  Barely 2 weeks to interview and hire a coach and his staff.  I’m not sure that’s possible.  And the other argument is that if by some chance we get a very high pick, it could possibly make the job more appealing, and in my opinion we need all the help we can get along those lines.  

Yeah, but sometimes you gotta use the unknown to your advantage too. Like sure if we get 1 and 8 we become more appealing, but what if we come out of the draft with like, only 6th? Wouldn’t that hurt us to the opposite extreme. I agree it’s a quick timeline, hopefully it’s something that’s been known for awhile and management has already been working on who’s next. Or it was a surprise, we love the direction, we promote Ty Corbin and keep most of the assistants in tact under him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out 

More thoughts on Brian Shaw, he was a real deal candidate awhile ago, got a shot and it didn’t work out. He’s still been active, and he coached the G League ignite last year where both Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga played. My early guess, without any inside information is Brian Shaw is our next Head Coach

Apparently Steve Hetzel and Pat Delaney are both highly regarded assistants who were here with Cliff so we might go with one of them for a younger coach but maintain continuity. 

26 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

No idea if this was posted already, some pretty interesting comments from Weltman if you read between the lines.

I know it does not need to be said, but god dammit I cannot stand Mike Bianchi

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

I know it does not need to be said, but god dammit I cannot stand Mike Bianchi

Hah yes, the last question near the end had me rolling my eyes, guy is a clown.

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

I dunno.. for one Bianchi is a terrible reporter whose been anti Magic since I was a kid. He seems to love hating the team. Also, there’s way too many unknowns right now to know how long the rebuild will take. I believe it’s deeper with Clifford, I don’t think he agreed with or supported trading Vooch and I think management did that without his sign off.

It’s called the Jay Mariotti approach. 

10 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

More thoughts on Brian Shaw, he was a real deal candidate awhile ago, got a shot and it didn’t work out. He’s still been active, and he coached the G League ignite last year where both Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga played. My early guess, without any inside information is Brian Shaw is our next Head Coach

This fits the bill for both a players coach AND someone who has a history with the Magic. I think you might really be on to something... Would fit the MO well. 

On 6/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, TreyMachine said:

Here's a real question: is it better to hire a coach immediately or let us possibly increase interest in our situation should we land the #1 or #2 pick (while keeping the #8 pick)? 

I would assume we will interview and go after the best candidate in our mind, but if our top candidate isn't interested, we hold off until after the draft lottery to see if that changes that individual's mind. #CadeCalling 

To play devil's advocate - do we really want a coach who is only interested because we have two more young players coming in via the draft? Shouldn't the young players we already have, plus the two returning from injury, plus at least one top 7 pick be enough? I get that the prospect of two additional top-12 picks is more attractive than one, but should it be a deal-breaker for a prospective coach? I'm honestly on the fence about this. Plus, I'm not sure that they will let prospective coaches know too much about our plans, ie. will we keep both picks, trade up or down, or use one (or both) to go after a veteran star, etc. 

On 6/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

The draft combine is the 21-27 of June, lottery is the 22nd. I think it’s important to have the new staff in place by the combine, personally.

I honestly wish that the lottery was a week earlier, as it definitely would make scouting the combine easier, and I would prefer to have the head coach/his staff in place prior to the combine - but how much input will they honestly have either way? We know that WeltHam are going to make the decisions, so it probably will be a moot point. 

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

To play devil's advocate - do we really want a coach who is only interested because we have two more young players coming in via the draft? Shouldn't the young players we already have, plus the two returning from injury, plus at least one top 7 pick be enough? I get that the prospect of two additional top-12 picks is more attractive than one, but should it be a deal-breaker for a prospective coach? I'm honestly on the fence about this. Plus, I'm not sure that they will let prospective coaches know too much about our plans, ie. will we keep both picks, trade up or down, or use one (or both) to go after a veteran star, etc. 

I honestly wish that the lottery was a week earlier, as it definitely would make scouting the combine easier, and I would prefer to have the head coach/his staff in place prior to the combine - but how much input will they honestly have either way? We know that WeltHam are going to make the decisions, so it probably will be a moot point. 

I think being guaranteed Cade would make the job more desirable than it currently is. 

I think the HC will have quite a bit of input on the draft. They won't ultimately decide who we draft obviously but Weltman has talked a lot about organisational alignment so it'd hardly be worth drafting someone who was a bad fit in the new coaches systems. And if, for example, the new coach is from college they'll obviously be able to provide a lot of detail on some prospects their team played (or prospects on their own team). 

• Upvote 1