jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

If we somehow went after a college coach it has to be Jay Wright.

NBA retread, Kenny Atkinson, or Jorger.

I’ve always liked Kenny Atkinson

I actually really like Anthony Grant. Have no idea if he'd leave Dayton but the one year he had a lottery talent on his roster he had the 2nd best offense in the country and went 29-2. His offensive sets are fun, they get player and ball movement. He's from Florida (albeit Miami) and he's had a little bit of time in the NBA as an assistant. 

Can't find anything on his contract but can't imagine it's that lucrative (especially compared to the 5 year deal Penny just signed at Memphis in December). 

If Orlando is going for a first-time NBA head coach, Stackhouse should be near the top of his list. He worked with Magic president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman in Toronto. Coaches with Raptors ties are in demand right now. Nate Bjorkgren's first year in Indiana didn't go as planned, but Chris Finch looks like a home run for Minnesota thus far. Toronto's organizational stability and creativity are something that other NBA teams want to emulate. 

But Stackhouse's credentials extend far beyond his time with the Raptors. He was an All-Star player but played for eight different teams, including five in his last five seasons. He can connect with stars and role players. He's struggled in two years at Vanderbilt, but that's not a program used to high-level winning. With the proper talent, he'd likely be far more successful. That was the case with Raptors 905, where he won a championship in 2017. There he had a hand in developing a number of youngsters who became core Raptors at the NBA level, including Fred VanVleet and Pascal Siakam. If Orlando's priority is player development, Stackhouse should be a compelling option.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/magic-coaching-candidates-terry-stotts-jason-kidd-lead-list-of-potential-replacements-for-steve-clifford/

56 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I like Stackhouse

I’d be down with Stackhouse or Penny if we put him through a regular interview process and not give him the upper hand just because he’s a former Magic player. Although people hate on Marc Jackson I think if he was given another opportunity as HC he wouldn’t pull the same stuff he did with the Warriors. Also add in the fact JI is a faith based man as well and I think they would connect in a positive way on and off the court. We could see JI realize his full potential on offense while he still wreaks havoc on defense if he’s on the same page with the HC and has plays actually drawn up for him. I just hope this FO does it’s due diligence and get this coaching hire right. 

29 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I’d be down with Stackhouse or Penny if we put him through a regular interview process and not give him the upper hand just because he’s a former Magic player. Although people hate on Marc Jackson I think if he was given another opportunity as HC he wouldn’t pull the same stuff he did with the Warriors. Also add in the fact JI is a faith based man as well and I think they would connect in a positive way on and off the court. We could see JI realize his full potential on offense while he still wreaks havoc on defense if he’s on the same page with the HC and has plays actually drawn up for him. I just hope this FO does it’s due diligence and get this coaching hire right. 

I wouldn't hire Mark Jackson if he was the last candidate available personally and I doubt he ever gets a HC job again. He's not a good person or a good coach. The stuff he did in Golden State was ridiculous and that team got instantly better the moment he left. 

35 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I wouldn't hire Mark Jackson if he was the last candidate available personally and I doubt he ever gets a HC job again. He's not a good person or a good coach. The stuff he did in Golden State was ridiculous and that team got instantly better the moment he left. 

I agree he did some questionable things while he was HC but I would like to think he’s learned from those mistakes as he is still has a good basketball mind. Idk I feel like he at least deserves another chance somewhere before he gets written off completely. Doesn’t have to be here though necessarily. In other news Jason Kidd just withdrew his name from the Portland HC gig. Maybe he’s trying to come here? Not sure how I feel about that though seeing as he tried to make a power grab before he was let go in his previous stint. 

15 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I agree he did some questionable things while he was HC but I would like to think he’s learned from those mistakes as he is still has a good basketball mind. Idk I feel like he at least deserves another chance somewhere before he gets written off completely. Doesn’t have to be here though necessarily. In other news Jason Kidd just withdrew his name from the Portland HC gig. Maybe he’s trying to come here? Not sure how I feel about that though seeing as he tried to make a power grab before he was let go in his previous stint. 

Can't imagine anyone would turn down Portland for here. 

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Can't imagine anyone would turn down Portland for here. 

Some people prefer the weather/tax advantages of Florida over a state like Oregon. I agree they have the better roster/situation atm but the way we’ve reset ourselves our situation isn’t as unattractive as it was just a couple of months ago. 

Chauncey Billups and Juwan Howard would be 2 other names I’d strongly consider. Perhaps go super progressive and hire Becky Hammond if she beats out the other candidates. 

8 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Chauncey Billups and Juwan Howard would be 2 other names I’d strongly consider. Perhaps go super progressive and hire Becky Hammond if she beats out the other candidates. 

I like the idea of Hammond, but it won’t happen in Orlando, not with the Devos family in charge.

Isn’t there history with Weltman and Kidd? I know they traded for his rights but can’t remember if Weltman was GM