jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Just now, JJZFL said:

What is your take on his post?   You think Clifford decided to leave because he thought this team had good prospects?

Clifford's niche is taking below average teams and making them better by slowing tempo and playing defense.  He has no patience for younger players.  Bianchi should not be allowed to talk about the Magic on local radio!  This is a good job with a bright future.

4 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Clifford's niche is taking below average teams and making them better by slowing tempo and playing defense.  He has no patience for younger players.  Bianchi should not be allowed to talk about the Magic on local radio!  This is a good job with a bright future.

Agreed. It was clear from his rotations (and from previous stinks) he doesn't have patience to work with rookies and young players whom make mistakes. He is definitely a good coach but has high expectations and I think didn't want to sit in a rebuild for another 2-3 years while there are other coaching opportunities for him with veterans whom are ready and hungry to win now.

I will also agree it was clear during the season that Clifford disagreed with the "tank" strategy put in place and isn't someone who believes ideologically in such a cause. 

I wish Cliff the best and hope we can get a young coach whom can develop guys and is willing to take a risk on a young, talented team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

I sincerely hope that you're right.  However, the last 5 Magic coaches have not prospered with the Magic, and two subsequently won championships after they left us.  I think Cliff dislikes tanking much more than he dislikes younger players, but we can differ on that.  We will see what kind of coaches want to come here at some point soon.

For a brief period after our trades, on the West Coast trip, this team looked like it had some potential.  Then it collapsed.  Maybe that was on purpose.  Regardless, I just don't see coaches tripping over each other for this job.

1 minute ago, TreyMachine said:

Agreed. It was clear from his rotations (and from previous stinks) he doesn't have patience to work with rookies and young players whom make mistakes. He is definitely a good coach but has high expectations and I think didn't want to sit in a rebuild for another 2-3 years while there are other coaching opportunities for him with veterans whom are ready and hungry to win now.

I will also agree it was clear during the season that Clifford disagreed with the "tank" strategy put in place and isn't someone who believes ideologically in such a cause. 

I wish Cliff the best and hope we can get a young coach whom can develop guys and is willing to take a risk on a young, talented team.

I mostly agree with you.  I'm not sure he's as unwilling to work with younger players as is being suggested, but I agree with everything else.

Here's a real question: is it better to hire a coach immediately or let us possibly increase interest in our situation should we land the #1 or #2 pick (while keeping the #8 pick)? 

I would assume we will interview and go after the best candidate in our mind, but if our top candidate isn't interested, we hold off until after the draft lottery to see if that changes that individual's mind. #CadeCalling 

32 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Here's a real question: is it better to hire a coach immediately or let us possibly increase interest in our situation should we land the #1 or #2 pick (while keeping the #8 pick)? 

I would assume we will interview and go after the best candidate in our mind, but if our top candidate isn't interested, we hold off until after the draft lottery to see if that changes that individual's mind. #CadeCalling 

I agree again.  We may even wait to interview altogether until after our draft positioning is known.  

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I agree again.  We may even wait to interview altogether until after our draft positioning is known.  

This makes total sense.  We are due for some lottery luck!  The statistic Gods have been penalizing us for years for the 1 out of 66 chance in 1993!  

42 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The draft combine is the 21-27 of June, lottery is the 22nd. I think it’s important to have the new staff in place by the combine, personally.

Agree!

22 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

If we somehow went after a college coach it has to be Jay Wright.

NBA retread, Kenny Atkinson, or Jorger.

Jay Wright has turned down better opportunities than ours to stay at Villanova.