jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

What about hiring Darrell Armstrong as head coach? I know he's been an assistant coach for the Dallas Mavericks for a long time now. I don't know much about his coaching style. He was possibly my favorite all-time Magic player. To have him as a head coach would be really cool. 

• Upvote 1

Doesn't suprise me at all. Didn't seem interested in the direction the FO took rebuilding with youth. Think he would have had aneurysm trying to coach a very young team. He'll probably get picked up by a team with playoff aspirations. Not really enamoured with anyone out there right now so will be interesting to see who the FO goes with moving forward.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Maybe Dave Joerger?

Deffo worth an interview for me. Super unlucky with all the injuries he had at Memphis and had them punching pretty hard.

This doesn’t bode well going forward.  Cliff clearly sees this team being on a losing trajectory for a significant amount of time to come.  Given Orlando’s history as a head coaching graveyard these past few years, and our recent futility,  I can’t imagine that many good candidates would be enthusiastic about coming here.  Quoting from Bianchi in today’s Sentinel:  

“Weltman’s strategy is a common one: Lose big now so you can win big later. While this is the accepted way of rebuilding in the NBA; it is still a longshot. Clifford, it seems, simply wasn’t willing to roll the dice on the rest of his career by betting that this latest iteration of a Magic rebuild was actually going to work. And who can blame him? After all, this isn’t what he signed up for.”

Jacque Vaughn, anyone?

24 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

This doesn’t bode well going forward.  Cliff clearly sees this team being on a losing trajectory for a significant amount of time to come.  Given Orlando’s history as a head coaching graveyard these past few years, and our recent futility,  I can’t imagine that many good candidates would be enthusiastic about coming here.  Quoting from Bianchi in today’s Sentinel:  

“Weltman’s strategy is a common one: Lose big now so you can win big later. While this is the accepted way of rebuilding in the NBA; it is still a longshot. Clifford, it seems, simply wasn’t willing to roll the dice on the rest of his career by betting that this latest iteration of a Magic rebuild was actually going to work. And who can blame him? After all, this isn’t what he signed up for.”

Jacque Vaughn, anyone?

I dunno.. for one Bianchi is a terrible reporter whose been anti Magic since I was a kid. He seems to love hating the team. Also, there’s way too many unknowns right now to know how long the rebuild will take. I believe it’s deeper with Clifford, I don’t think he agreed with or supported trading Vooch and I think management did that without his sign off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I dunno.. for one Bianchi is a terrible reporter whose been anti Magic since I was a kid. He seems to love hating the team. Also, there’s way too many unknowns right now to know how long the rebuild will take. I believe it’s deeper with Clifford, I don’t think he agreed with or supported trading Vooch and I think management did that without his sign off.

Bianchi is an idiot when it comes to talking about the Magic.  Everyone on here has more Magic knowledge then he does!   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Bianchi is an idiot when it comes to talking about the Magic.  Everyone on here has more Magic knowledge then he does!   

We can call him names but I agree with the substance of his post.  

• Downvote 1

Listen if Penny H is a good coach he would be the best candidate. It would enliven the fanbase and if he was a good coach he would be a great coach.

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

We can call him names but I agree with the substance of his post.  

Of course you do.  You are always negative about this new direction.  Not shocking!  

Just now, og magic fan said:

Of course you do.  You are always negative about this new direction.  Not shocking!  

What is your take on his post?   You think Clifford decided to leave because he thought this team had good prospects?