jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Finally get a breath of fresh air after letting Clifford go. I hope we can hire someone who isn’t scared of putting his players in the best position to succeed even if it means losing a few games to start. A coach who isn’t afraid of in game adjustments and who doesn’t need to watch the game tape in order to make changes. Excited about the new direction this franchise is taking. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Man... grateful for Clifford and kind of surprised, but I guess not blown away. Young coach to grow with a young team? Vanterpool?

Yeah, Vanterpool is another guy on my short list.

Making this move so close to after Stotts was surprisingly let go is interesting. I’d be very happy if we brought Stotts on board, if he came with a quality defensive mind as an assistant 

7 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Making this move so close to after Stotts was surprisingly let go is interesting. I’d be very happy if we brought Stotts on board, if he came with a quality defensive mind as an assistant 

Im not really excited about Stotts but I can see the logic of a safe pair of hands rather than an unknown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im not really excited about Stotts but I can see the logic of a safe pair of hands rather than an unknown.

I think it depends how truthful the reporting was with Clifford denying an extension and that’s why we mutually parted ways. If that’s the case we seem to want a vet coach that’s in it for the long haul and to try to compete ASAP, if that’s bullocks then we made the move to bring in a younger coach to grow with the team. Like Hennigan tried with Vaughn and failed miserably to do.

I’m honestly strapped in for one of the former Magic men who has turned to coaching. This front office has a history of loyalty and embracing its past. Penny, Darrell, B-Shaw, Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing can anybody think of any more former Magic players turned coaches that could be potential fits? I think the guessing game starts there

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m honestly strapped in for one of the former Magic men who has turned to coaching. This front office has a history of loyalty and embracing its past. Penny, Darrell, B-Shaw, Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing can anybody think of any more former Magic players turned coaches that could be potential fits? I think the guessing game starts there

I have more confidence that WeltHam has more say in this process than Hennigan did. Trusting they'll find the right guy to raise up our young bucks. 

29 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I really don't want to go that route personally. Especially with Penny. It'd feel more like a nostalgia hire than a hire on merit. 

As far as names go I'd like to take a look at Jerry Stackhouse and Anthony Grant. And I wouldnt be surprised if Stan Heath got an interview. He was just G League COTY.

EDIT: I apparently missed that Stan Heath had got a job at his alma mater Eastern Michigan.