jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

It was all over once they acquired Kemba. His contract has 2 more years remaining and the Celtics do not want to pay what would be a franchise record luxury tax next year. With Kemba's contract they simply couldn't compete with other teams offers. Expect the Celtics to try to move him but probably won't be able to till it's an expiring.

Yea Kemba is a negative deal right now. They'd have to give up assets or take back an equally bad deal to move on from him. 

They'll be paying a huge tax bill if they try to keep Kemba, Smart and Fournier so it'll be interesting to see what they do this summer. 

35 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

Imagine this board if we were to sign Fournier..

We won't. There's virtually no chance we do that. But if we signed Fournier to $15m a season or less deal after getting assets for him in a trade I'd be fine with it.

55 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

We won't. There's virtually no chance we do that. But if we signed Fournier to $15m a season or less deal after getting assets for him in a trade I'd be fine with it.

We received 2nd round picks in 2025 and 2027 for Fournier - I would be very unhappy if we resigned him for $15M a season, considering that was his value at the trade deadline. I will be very surprised if anyone offers him more than the MLE this offseason, and if they do, I hope it isn't us. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Personally, I wouldn't. The past is dead. Bury it!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Oh I know lol. I’m just imagining the meltdown that would follow. I personally wouldn’t want him back at all, let alone 15/year, even if that is a quality deal for him. It’s just time to move on. If we were a 4-6 seed bound team who needed another shooter, maybe. 

Very interesting article about the Grizzlies, a team we recently discussed for the "young" factor. A lot of interesting facts/observation, like Brooks being the only player left from 3 years ago (continuity?)

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31555245/lowe-why-ja-morant-memphis-grizzlies-primed-ascension

14 minutes ago, Malik Buttface said:

Clifford is gone. Wow. 

Holy ****. Really didn't expect this to be honest. I actually liked Cliff a lot and would have been happy with him leading the rebuild.

This is the start of what could be a very crazy summer 

Apparently we were interested in renewing Clifford's deal and he wasn't per Robbins so we agreed to part ways. 

That's super interesting to me. I just read a thing a couple hours ago that mentioned Clifford would be a good, out of the box, candidate for the Boston Celtics job.

Robbins also mentioned that the Pacers might have interest in interviewing him if they fire Nate Bjrokgren too. 

It'll be super interesting to hear the names that come out in the coming weeks. 

A lot of fans will shout Penny but I just think we'd be doing that for all the wrong reasons. 

I think we'll end up with Becky Hammon or Sam Cassell.

Also, I feel this move was best for both parties. Kind of like the Billy Donovan and OKC situation last year.